Who is Everyones Other Team?

Lets face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.
Georgia…..and my daughter is in med school at Mercer so I pull for the Bears in FCS.

I also used to really pull for Hawaii back in the day when they still ran the triple option under Bob Wagner. Still have a soft spot for them.

I live not far from the Arizona State campus, I follow them too. Their program mirrors the Gophers a lot more than you would think. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.
My nephew went to Arizona. I guess that makes us rivals

Last edited:

1. KState
2. Kansas
3. Millitary Academies

I appreciate anybody who has to work hard to establish a football identity. Who would normally want to visit Manhattan, KS or Lawrence on a non-basketball weekend? The work done there, regardless of how long ago it started is still amazing. How anybody could ever root against the Academies is beyond words.

Notre Dame and Santa Clara. Have close relatives that went to both, multiple in SCU’s case. Follow San Diego State a bit since I lived there for a long while, but Gophers will always be my number one.

Grew up going to Gopher games at Memorial stadium. Loved the Gophers but wished we were Alabama with Bear Bryant.

Whatever team I bet on that week

Also, I casually support teams my family supports like Indiana and Michigan State when not playing vs the U

I've gotta admit, I've been paying attention to the University of St. Thomas quite a bit since they left DIII... I think MN has needed D1-AA football for many years... and when their probationary period is over, St. Thomas just might be the team we've needed. Whatever happens, it'll be interesting.

USD Coyotes. Seems like a lot of Jacks fans on here. I got nothing relative to recent times/decades but back in the day for two years we played them twice in a season which was weird; but it gave us two more opportunities to beat them. I was 5-1 against the hated Jacks. I’m a Gopher fan since I learned how to walk and talk just not a good enough player for D1 so back then you went to the Dakotas and played great D2 NCC ball. My attention is 85-15 Gophers-Coyotes nowadays.

Seems like a fair sized group that feels that way. Be careful...
For the record, I don't care if people cheer for other teams. I just didn't like the OP premise that you need to have another team because the Gophers are "boring" or whatever. Pretty sure alaska is a troll from another fan base.

For me, I'm too emotionally invested in the Gophers to really, truly cheer for any other teams. As someone else stated, I'll usually just divert my fandom to a different Minnesota team if one is not as much fun to watch. My fandom isn't based on winning % like it seems to be for some people.

Top Bottom