WHO HATES IOWA.....STATE???

not sure it works.

the really question is, does anyone "Hate" Iowa State? I have always been completely ambivalent towards them. We have a commanding all time lead over them in football, and they have been beating Iowa quite a bit lately, which tickles me. Besides, Oh how I hate, Iowa State. works better.

re's got a point. I've never really acknowledged Iowa State's existence, I don't know anything about the program. Do they even sexually abuse their animals? I don't know, I have no material on them.

We dont give a F&%# about the whole state of Iowa,
the whole state of Iowa,
the whole state of Iowa.
We dont give a F&%# about the whole state of Iowa,
We are the U of M!!
F&%# You!

Glory, Glory Minnesota!
Glory, Glory Minnesota!
Glory, Glory Minnesota!
We are the U of M!
Ski-U-Mah!!

I think it works....right??

Last time they were up here to play the fans seemed like very decent people. They were also remarkably sober! That wasn't something I expected from fans from the state of Iowa.

Hey Gophers,

A couple of things here... Congrats on the Insight inivite from a Cyclone fan.

First, we HATE the UofI more than you. We're a group of fans who pride ourselves in trying to be everything Iowa fans are not...

I'm looking forward to watching this matchup - the best possible matchup for a possible win for both teams as each team is capable of winning the game if things go right.

Next, someone referred to our all-time series and your dominance. I found this silly since very few of the games of the series took place in modern times. I'm sure it must have been said tongue-in-cheek but I think it's probably clear to all the series means little here.

Which brings me to my last comment. YOU KILLED JACK TRICE!

Our stadium is named after Jack Trice, the first black football player at Iowa State who died from injuries suffered on the field against a racist Minnesota team.

We're close in proximity and we rarely play one another. I'd like to see a regular series between ISU and Minn. that honors Jack Trice and diversity in sports... just a thought.

Looking forward to a good and fun game. Hope many can make it to party in Tempe. Looking forward to good-natured banter on the message boards until then.

Last time they were up here to play the fans seemed like very decent people. They were also remarkably sober! That wasn't something I expected from fans from the state of Iowa.

Sober isn't something we're usually accused. However, unlike the imbred masses that we share our great state with, we can hold our liquor, don't bang strangers in the Metrodome bathroom, and realize that 10 ft wide goal posts can not pass through a revolving door.

Should be a good match up (really wish I could go), as I've loved the idea of ISU and Minnesota playing a home and home series, especially now that you guys have TCF Bank Stadium. That place is beautiful.

Sober isn't something we're usually accused. However, unlike the imbred masses that we share our great state with, we can hold our liquor, don't bang strangers in the Metrodome bathroom, and realize that 10 ft wide goal posts can not pass through a revolving door.

hahaha that made me laugh. I'm looking forward to this game too. I'm curious about how Iowa State fans think our teams matchup for the game? I'll be honest I don't know much about ISU.

Also that is an interesting story about Jack Trice, I shall be wikipedia-ing it to find out more.

Iowa State in general seems like a more intelligent school, which would explain how their fans are much more decent people.

Gopher fans should read up. This is pretty sobering stuff. Jack Trice

Almost as sobering is the fact that ISU "forgot" about him until students stumbled upon a commemorative plaque of him in the 1970's.......50 years later.

Should be a good match up (really wish I could go), as I've loved the idea of ISU and Minnesota playing a home and home series, especially now that you guys have TCF Bank Stadium. That place is beautiful.

My understanding is there was a home and home planned and ISU cancelled it after the trip up here. I think you guys replaced us with a UNLV series. There have been talks of home and home games in football and basketball. Basketball talks may have been part of a holiday tourney but I'm not sure about that.

It would be good to see in both sports.

ISU fans

I'd rather be a Gopher than a Hawkeye any day. I have family in Minnesota and have nothing but respect for your institution, teams and fans. If it wasn't so darn cold, I would even consider living there.

I will second the sentiments of an earlier poster that ISU fans strive to be EVERYTHING U of I fans are not (mainly, intelligent, thoughtful, knowledgeable and respectful). We have good teams with the occasional great teams (and the occasional bad team too). Just this school year we have the potential to have great seasons in men's and women's cross country, volleyball, wrestling, women's basketball and maybe men's basketball along with exceeds expectations in football. Our teams accomplish these feats with half the money, 1/3 the fanbase and 1/4 the media exposure of the "other college in Iowa".

Good Luck in everything EXCEPT the Insight.com Bowl. I hope it is good game that comes down to the end with the Cyclones prevailing.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...ig-ten-football-history-10-the-death-of-jack/

Haven't posted a link before, so please forgive if this does not come out properly. At any rate, thought the article was interesting and shed a bit more light on the incident. Football a hundred years ago was a violent activity that was nearly banned. Jack Trice came along a few years later, but still at a time when the sport was in transition. Hard to say what actually happened in Mpls back then or why. I remember my dad telling me how dangerous it could be and he was a boy about the time that ISU and the U played that game.

hahaha that made me laugh. I'm looking forward to this game too. I'm curious about how Iowa State fans think our teams matchup for the game? I'll be honest I don't know much about ISU.

Also that is an interesting story about Jack Trice, I shall be wikipedia-ing it to find out more.

Well, the only game of your guys's I've watched this year was the Cal game. We don't have Jahvid Best, but Alexander Robinson (Minneapolis native) lead the Big 12 in rushing most of the season, despite playing the 2nd half of the season with a pulled groin, and having to sit out the entire Nebraska game. He is at this best working in space, and is arguably one of our better receiving threats.

Our passing game has been Jekyl and Hyde. We brought in Tom Herman from Rice as our OC this year, and our QB had to learn his 3rd system in four years. We started slow, looked ABYSMAL against Iowa, but then Austen Arnaud (QB) started looking much better against Army, KSU, KU, and Baylor. He broke a bone in his hand against Baylor, sat out the next three games, came back too early, played like crap against Okie State, but looked better against CU and Mizzou. He's a very efficient runner. Discounting sacks, he probably averages 5 YPC, although his season long is probably a hair over 20 yards. Not a game breaker in the running game, but always getting positive yards. With his hand being back to 100%, I'd look for him to have a better game. He's one of the toughest players I've ever watched, and is a fiery leader, despite his issues with timing and accuracy.

The other half of the passing equation, our wide receivers, have been disappointing outside of Marquis Hamilton, who is our go-to receiver. They struggle getting open, and it's hurt our offense. They seem to be a capable bunch, but their inability to shake defenders has been a real Achille's heel.

Our defense is a dominant line away from being a very good unit. We have a solid (but not spectacular) group of defensive back and line backers. MLB Jesse Smith was 1st team All Big 12. He was one of the hero's of the Nebraska game and makes up for his lack of natural athleticism with a motor that doesn't quit and an off the chart football IQ. However, our d-line's lack of consistent pressure on the QB has keeps this unit from being good game in and game out.

Special teams have been an anomally this year. We lost the KSU game on a blocked PAT. Our kicker then missed 2 PATS and an FG in a 5 point loss at KU. Our return coverage and return units have been pretty solid, but we haven't broken any kick returns for TDs. Our punter is one of the best in CFB. He'll be playing on Sundays.

Hey Gophers,

A couple of things here... Congrats on the Insight inivite from a Cyclone fan.

First, we HATE the UofI more than you. We're a group of fans who pride ourselves in trying to be everything Iowa fans are not...

I'm looking forward to watching this matchup - the best possible matchup for a possible win for both teams as each team is capable of winning the game if things go right.

Next, someone referred to our all-time series and your dominance. I found this silly since very few of the games of the series took place in modern times. I'm sure it must have been said tongue-in-cheek but I think it's probably clear to all the series means little here.

Which brings me to my last comment. YOU KILLED JACK TRICE!

Our stadium is named after Jack Trice, the first black football player at Iowa State who died from injuries suffered on the field against a racist Minnesota team.

We're close in proximity and we rarely play one another. I'd like to see a regular series between ISU and Minn. that honors Jack Trice and diversity in sports... just a thought.

Looking forward to a good and fun game. Hope many can make it to party in Tempe. Looking forward to good-natured banter on the message boards until then.

That's the first time I've ever heard racism being associated with Gopher football. The program very successfully recruited black players in the 60s when many southern schools wouldn't go near them. The Gophers' Sandy Stephens was the first black quarterback to play major college football and become an All-American. If anything, the U of Minnesota did more than any school to end the color barrier in college football.

That's the first time I've ever heard racism being associated with Gopher football. The program very successfully recruited black players in the 60s when many southern schools wouldn't go near them. The Gophers' Sandy Stephens was the first black quarterback to play major college football and become an All-American. If anything, the U of Minnesota did more than any school to end the color barrier in college football.

Actually, our 1st black player was Bobby Marshall from 1903-06.
We also had the 1st black all-Big Ten player in Percy Zachary in 1952.

I'm not saying that racism did not exist in Minnesota at any point in its history, but the Gophers have generally been seen as a pioneering school in terms of an integrated football team and campus in general.

You haven't heard the story behind Floyd?

You are referring to incidents 40 years apart. Whatever the atmosphere on campus was in 1961, doesn't mean it was the same culture in 1923.

Actually, our 1st black player was Bobby Marshall from 1903-06.
We also had the 1st black all-Big Ten player in Percy Zachary in 1952.

I'm not saying that racism did not exist in Minnesota at any point in its history, but the Gophers have generally been seen as a pioneering school in terms of an integrated football team and campus in general.

Exactly. You can always dig up some dirt from some obscure history. I'm sure you can find something on Abraham Lincoln that would make him look racist. Still, that shouldn't override the larger body of facts.

Almost as sobering is the fact that ISU "forgot" about him until students stumbled upon a commemorative plaque of him in the 1970's.......50 years later.

First off, no, that is, in fact, significantly less sobering than Minnesota committing an on the field hate crime.

Secondly, they also had a massive funeral for him on campus and completely stopped the series with Minnesota, so I wouldn't say they forgot. It came back up in the 70s because that's when ISU built a new stadium, and there was a big student movement to name it after Trice. The student government was completely behind it, but the University refused, and only named the field after him. That's when the student government raised money to put up the plaque and statue; because they wanted to do more to honor him. Eventually in the late 90s the University came to their sense and actually named the whole stadium after him, after year and years of the students and faculty petitioning them too so.

Secondly, they also had a massive funeral for him on campus and completely stopped the series with Minnesota, so I wouldn't say they forgot. It came back up in the 70s because that's when ISU built a new stadium, and there was a big student movement to name it after Trice. The student government was completely behind it, but the University refused, and only named the field after him. That's when the student government raised money to put up the plaque and statue; because they wanted to do more to honor him. Eventually in the late 90s the University came to their sense and actually named the whole stadium after him, after year and years of the students and faculty petitioning them too so.

You should really learn to cite your sources, Mr. Wikipedia.

We didn't send him back in the game with a broken collarbone. We weren't the ones who said after the game "you're fine, walk it off".

Yeah, according to Wikipedia, Trice also stayed in a separate hotel from the other players. I guess ISU wasn't a beacon of equality in the 1920s either. The U of M football program fully came to their senses regarding civil rights in the 1960s, and apparently Iowa State got there a decade later by naming their stadium after a black player. Good for them. They were a decade behind the times and did much less than the U of Minnesota to end racism in college football.

Yeah, according to Wikipedia, Trice also stayed in a separate hotel from the other players. I guess ISU wasn't a beacon of equality in the 1920s either. The U of M football program fully came to their senses regarding civil rights in the 1960s, and apparently Iowa State got there a decade later by naming their stadium after a black player. Good for them. They were a decade behind the times and did much less than the U of Minnesota to end racism in college football.

You've spun it the wrong way - Trice couldn't stay with his team because the hotel in Minneapolis was segregated. Wasn't the team's choice, it was the hotel.

Top Bottom