Who has insider

Possible 2013-14 starting five:
G: Andre Hollins
G: Austin Hollins
G: Joe Coleman
F: Maurice Walker
C: Elliott Eliason

Who it loses: Human highlight on the break Rodney Williams will graduate. He was the Gophers' third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder and leaves big shoes to fill. Minnesota will also miss the inside presence of leading rebounder and fourth-leading scorer Trevor Mbakwe. Reserves Andre Ingram and Julian Welch round out the senior class.

Who it adds: Coach Tubby Smith will get immediate help with the versatility of shooting guard Alvin Ellis, who is smart, makes plays off the bounce and can play all three perimeter positions. The other signee for the Gophers, Alex Foster, is a long and athletic power forward who can straight-line drive, rebound and hit the jumper to about 15 feet. The Gophers have made their recruiting presence felt in talent-rich Chicago, as both members of the class hail from the Windy City.

What it means for next season: Perimeter experience and depth will be a strength of the Gophers. The backcourt of leading scorer and assist leader Andre Hollins and second-leading scorer Austin Hollins will be especially strong. They will be supported by guard Joe Coleman, who was the fifth-leading scorer and third-leading rebounder this season. The key will be replacing the talent and experience of frontcourt veterans Williams and Mbakwe.

Trending: Holding steady. Expect Minnesota to compete at a high level and be a force to be reckoned with in the tough Big Ten and be an NCAA-caliber team again.

That is actually a decent starting 5 on paper assuming Mo gets himself in shape and can be someone the team can count on for regular minutes. He has shown some definite ability in limited stretches but he has to have the stamina to be a starter and doesn't seem like he has that right now.

Big question is the bench, what they get out of guys like Wally and Buggs and what the true freshman can do right off the bat. If Mo and Elliot can get it done up front the new coach has a chance to inherit a decent roster and hopefully push it to another level.

A lot of potential, but it requires players to make some strides. Besides losing some pounds and getting some hops back, Mo needs to regain the footwork, moves and shooting that he flashed two years ago. Coleman absolutely needs to develop a reliable jump shot or he's a man without a position and should not play much.

I mentioned this in another thread: Wally is really an X-factor. With the athleticism we're losing with the loss of Williams and Trevor, Wally can help fill that void. Although he did not shoot 3's well in games, I know he can pop. Can he be a G/F that frightens people with his athleticism and shooting? I start to wonder whether he's starting material next year assuming he grows his game and confidence in the off season. Buggs has potential, but I wouldn't want to count on him jumping right in and being a major contributor, at least right away.

We will find out whether there was a development deficit with the previous staff when we see EE next fall. I saw some things from him that suggest he's not just some stiff that provides energy. I see a potential legitimate starting caliber center - if he develops more aspects of his game.

There is no way you start both EE and MO. Especially if we somehow get Smart as our coach. You'd have to think that if Buggs stays he would get serious consideration for a starting role and EE and MO battle it out for center minutes, assuming they both stay. You could even go with a four guard lineup with Wally or Ellis being that fourth guard. I did like what I saw from both EE and Walker the latter half of the season. If Walker trims down some more, he could be a nice post player. Theres also the possibilities of the new coach bringing in a JUCO guy or two. But starting both EE and MO would be a mistake.

Coleman shouldn't start at SF. I know they say he's 6'4, but looking at him, he play's about 6'1. He's a guard, and we already have 2 starting guards. He should come off the bench.

We need a combo of Buggs/Oto/Wally to start at the 3.

Coleman shouldn't start at SF. I know they say he's 6'4, but looking at him, he play's about 6'1. He's a guard, and we already have 2 starting guards. He should come off the bench.

We need a combo of Buggs/Oto/Wally to start at the 3.

Hopefully we don't have that combo at the 3 AND 4. Coleman is fine. I'm a tad under 6'4 and I've stood next to Coleman. We're the same height. Definitely not 6'1. Joe was much better outside of the conference and against teams that could run in the B10. Unfortunately, he struggles in the half court offense because he's an inconsistent shooter, undersized, and TO prone. I think it's more of this: coach needs to recognize when it's not the best matchup for him and go the the 3 players you named when he's struggling.

I've only seen Buggs in the exhibition game last fall but I don't see how he can play a 3 in the B1G, I dont think he could guard that position, I assume that the 3 will be Coleman and Ellenson, and maybe Oseniek at times with Buggs at the 4 with Oseniek and Foster.

Top Bottom