Who get the Twins TV rights in 2024

gophersfan

Reaction score
We know the Twins are leaving Bally Sports after this season. in your mind who you think will get the Twins rights. I would not be suprise if they end up on Fox 9+ WFTC. They could go to NBC Sports regional and create a new station like NBC Sports Minnesota. or could they try to create there own channel again. I highly doubt there own channel would work ever again. I really wish they bring back Midwest Sports Channel.

I expect they will go the Padres route and go in house. Not a network per set but individual carriage deals with Directv and cable and a streaming option monthly / per season. They apparently already sent questionnaires about this to season ticket holders. They may have some over the air games but it won't be exclusivly or primarily that.

if I'm setting odds -
--Back with Ballys - 5% (won't say 0%, because you never know)
--MLB takes over broadcast and finds outlets/affiliates - 20%
--Twins offer a direct-to-consumer streaming service while making games available through some combination of cable TV/satellite with a limited number of games on free over-the-air TV -- 75%

Ballys could conceivably offer Twins the most money. if they go with MLB, or take the rights in-house, the Twins probably wind up seeing lower local TV revenue next season - unless the streaming service really takes off. and that will depend on the price point. if it's $20/month, I think a lot of frugal Minnesotans will say "no."

if I'm setting odds -
--Back with Ballys - 5% (won't say 0%, because you never know)
--MLB takes over broadcast and finds outlets/affiliates - 20%
--Twins offer a direct-to-consumer streaming service while making games available through some combination of cable TV/satellite with a limited number of games on free over-the-air TV -- 75%

Ballys could conceivably offer Twins the most money. if they go with MLB, or take the rights in-house, the Twins probably wind up seeing lower local TV revenue next season - unless the streaming service really takes off. and that will depend on the price point. if it's $20/month, I think a lot of frugal Minnesotans will say "no."
Good post. If it was $20.00 per month for just the Twins, I'd rather spend that money on green fees. If it was for a combination of Twins, Wild and Wolves games, I'd buy it yesterday.

Hopefully all the sports leagues bust off into their own streaming deal. The cable companies like Xfinity are total shit. Their solution to cord cutters was to charge existing customers more...and to install a data cap to squeeze them further. Live sports are the only reason I still deal with the bullshit from Xfinity.

Good post. If it was $20.00 per month for just the Twins, I'd rather spend that money on green fees. If it was for a combination of Twins, Wild and Wolves games, I'd buy it yesterday.
The Wolves/Wild deals aren't up yet. But $20/month for only 6 months or $99 for the season isn't unreasonable.

we all spend money on things we think are important.

$20 is a couple of fast-food meals a month. one date night at the movies with snacks.
(to be honest, I spend $30 to $40 a month on comic books.........just a kid at heart)

so from that standpoint, $20 for the Twins is reasonable. It's more than I'm spending now to watch Bally on cable TV, but the cable TV financial model is collapsing literally as we speak.

The Wolves/Wild deals aren't up yet. But $20/month for only 6 months or $99 for the season isn't unreasonable.
I would definitely agree that $20.00 is not unreasonable. Personally, I just don't watch much TV in the Summer and outside of the playoffs, I can't remember the last time I watched a full Twins game.

If I was a true diehard fan, skipping one trip a month to Mickey D's doesn't seem too much to ask unless it's McRib month.

As someone who rarely watches games live, my only request is please make it easily accessible without seeing the score/other content. Apple TV freaking tells you the current score even when you're "watching from the start" and Bally's makes you scroll through videos of the post-game interviews etc. to find the stream of the actual game.

If the twins go in house, you all are in for some sticker shock.

As someone who rarely watches games live, my only request is please make it easily accessible without seeing the score/other content. Apple TV freaking tells you the current score even when you're "watching from the start" and Bally's makes you scroll through videos of the post-game interviews etc. to find the stream of the actual game.
IMG_4402.jpeg

Top Bottom