Who else is excited about Austin Hollins?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
The more I read about this kid, the more I think he'll be a very nice player for the Gophers over his career, whether he takes a redshirt next year or not. I don't want to hang too high of expectations on a kid, especially one I've never seen play, but when you read about his style of play, his body type, his character, production in the classroom, he reminds me of a slightly shorter version of Gopher great Quincy Lewis (who also hailed from that general area of the country). Like I said, not looking to hang unrealistic expectations on Hollins, but I am pretty optimistic from reading these various reports:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/20/hollins-earns-accolades/

From Memphis Commercial-Appeal, July 5, 2009:
Austin Hollins (6-3 shooting guard, Germantown/Germantown): The thing you hear about Hollins over and over is that he really knows how to play. That's not a surprise, given that his father, Lionel Hollins, played 10 years in the NBA and now coaches the Grizzlies. The Tigers' coaching staff has been enamored with Hollins' basketball savvy since they arrived, and getting involved early should give them a leg up since Hollins hasn't really formed a national reputation yet. Gonzaga has shown interest along with a variety of schools in the area.

From Charley Walters' column last week (recently posted by Bleed):

Of Hollins: "He played with a high basketball IQ; moves well without the ball; was one of the most effective and efficient players here; had 12 points in the game."

The more I read about this kid, the more I think he'll be a very nice player for the Gophers over his career, whether he takes a redshirt next year or not. I don't want to hang too high of expectations on a kid, especially one I've never seen play, but when you read about his style of play, his body type, his character, production in the classroom, he reminds me of a slightly shorter version of Gopher great Quincy Lewis (who also hailed from that general area of the country). Like I said, not looking to hang unrealistic expectations on Hollins, but I am pretty optimistic from reading these various reports:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/20/hollins-earns-accolades/

From Memphis Commercial-Appeal, July 5, 2009:
Austin Hollins (6-3 shooting guard, Germantown/Germantown): The thing you hear about Hollins over and over is that he really knows how to play. That's not a surprise, given that his father, Lionel Hollins, played 10 years in the NBA and now coaches the Grizzlies. The Tigers' coaching staff has been enamored with Hollins' basketball savvy since they arrived, and getting involved early should give them a leg up since Hollins hasn't really formed a national reputation yet. Gonzaga has shown interest along with a variety of schools in the area.

From Charley Walters' column last week (recently posted by Bleed):

Of Hollins: "He played with a high basketball IQ; moves well without the ball; was one of the most effective and efficient players here; had 12 points in the game."

Yeah, I'm curious how a shooter this polished who's 6'4" and the son of a NBA player/coach could be under the radar, but good luck for us.

Found this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHk0McfpX9A

I think Tubby is building a deep talented team and this kid is going to do big things at the U.

His signing reminds me of J.B. Bickerstaff. I love coach's kids as players. Usually really understand what's going on from the coach's perspective. I hope I end up liking him as much as I like J.B.

Yeah, I'm curious how a shooter this polished who's 6'4" and the son of a NBA player/coach could be under the radar, but good luck for us.

Found this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHk0McfpX9A

I think Tubby is building a deep talented team and this kid is going to do big things at the U.

wow!!! kid's got range. If he can do that consistently.... you are right about the Quincy Lewis comparison.

Austin looks very good. I do not see him red shirting. When the Gophers were first recruiting Austin, there were comments (I think from AAU coach) that he expected Austin to end up being 6-7+. Is the 6-3 height still correct?

Looks like a nice addition. Of course, he'll have to wait a year for his No. 24 jersey to be available here. :)

Austin looks very good. I do not see him red shirting. When the Gophers were first recruiting Austin, there were comments (I think from AAU coach) that he expected Austin to end up being 6-7+. Is the 6-3 height still correct?

Depends who you ask, i just watched an interview w/ Austin and he said he was 6-4.

pretty jumper. smart. good nba coach as a dad. hopefully he could end out being tubby's best recruit yet.

Never seen him play, but I have a good feeling about him. Definitely excited to see him play in a Gopher uniform.

Love the elevation and consistency he gets on his jumper, and he always seems to have a smoothness about him. You can tell he's played basketball his whole life and reads the defense well

In a few years, he and Rodney could be a great pairing of wings

He actually wears no. 20, 24 is just the aau number. he'll take westy's jersey.

Top Bottom