Who do you blame for Gophers epic season collapse?

Who do you blame for Gophers epic season collapse?

• Tubby

Votes: 70 80.5%
  • The bench

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • The seniors

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

The turning point where the glass house started to shatter was when Rodney sent his tweet about Tubby throwing the players under the bus. Both coach and senior aired private frustration in a public setting. It set the beginnings of a hairline fracture that has the makings of a full-fledged break.

Where is the option "the strength and talent of our opponents"?

The 5 Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 15 right now, are the same 5 teams that were ranked in the Top 15 last year. We supposedly got better from last year to this year, but THOSE FIVE teams were already better than us, and apparently got better as well.

So we lost a ROAD game vs a Top 15 team?! Go figure.

We'll lose a HOME game vs the #1 ranked team, too. Just get over it now, and look forward to the PSU game where we just might be able to start recovering some of the mojo this teams lost.

And if we happen to pull off a miracle and beat Indiana? Well, that would be great. But no reason to get your hopes up and then come to the GH after they lose demanding Tubby be fired. lol You people are hilarious.

Is that why we got killed by Iowa and looked terrible against Northwestern too? Even a team like Penn State or Nebraska isn't going to get blown out of the gym by Iowa or a mediocre Ohio State team. If you have watched a game this year you would know just how terrible the team looks, clearly you haven't. No excuses for turnovers and bad execution, buddy.

Listen to Tubby's pre game speeches, he's no Knute. Listen to his TV show where he's demonstrating technique...the man is boring. No fire. Yes, he can dance. But this isn't Dancing with the Stars.

I blame Obama, of course! Okay, seriously.... The blame goes not just to Tubby, but the whole coaching staff. No player improves under this staff. You look up and the assistant coaches and it's a "who's who" of nepotism and Old Boys Network. Back to Tubby...it's not just about his lack of fire or that he's boring...it's that he seems to completely "check out" of games. He constantly throws his players under the bus in post-game press conferences. You can do that in the pros, where players are adult men making millions of dollars...but when you're dealing with 20 year old kids (or in Mbakwe's case, a 26 year old manchild), they're going to emotionally distance themselves from him when he consistently does this and when things get tough, they have no interest in playing for their coach. It's time for a change.

I blame Obama, of course! Okay, seriously.... The blame goes not just to Tubby, but the whole coaching staff. No player improves under this staff. You look up and the assistant coaches and it's a "who's who" of nepotism and Old Boys Network. Back to Tubby...it's not just about his lack of fire or that he's boring...it's that he seems to completely "check out" of games. He constantly throws his players under the bus in post-game press conferences. You can do that in the pros, where players are adult men making millions of dollars...but when you're dealing with 20 year old kids (or in Mbakwe's case, a 26 year old manchild), they're going to emotionally distance themselves from him when he consistently does this and when things get tough, they have no interest in playing for their coach. It's time for a change.

I know we're upset with everything going on but people keep posting this and it's completely false.

I blame no one. I hate the blame game. Each team member has to come to grips with himself. A is ok, B is ok, C is ok. The $hithead is (name yourself).

I know we're upset with everything going on but people keep posting this and it's completely false.

Okay, here's my challenge to you....tell me who has greatly improved under this staff's tutelage? I'll narrow it down even more...is there one player who made even middling improvement on any of the squads the past three years? I'm honestly not trying to be a richard here...I want to feel good about my alma mater and its teams, but it has been so difficult the past 5 years (hockey and non-revenue sports excluded).

Okay, here's my challenge to you....tell me who has greatly improved under this staff's tutelage? I'll narrow it down even more...is there one player who made even middling improvement on any of the squads the past three years? I'm honestly not trying to be a richard here...I want to feel good about my alma mater and its teams, but it has been so difficult the past 5 years (hockey and non-revenue sports excluded).

Austin Hollins, Al Nolen, Damian Johnson, and Rodney Williams to name 4. Let's throw in Blake Hoffarber too.

I'll give you Damian Johnson...never a "go-to" guy, but I will admit that I forgot how much improvement he showed. Nolen is a tough case because he was always hurt, but definitely a playmaker when he was on the court. I will say that I'm not sure I see the same improvement that you see in Hollins and Williams. To me, they're the same players they were when they started. Hollins is a streaky shooter and Williams can dunk, and that's about it....they did that 3 years ago.

I'll give you Damian Johnson...never a "go-to" guy, but I will admit that I forgot how much improvement he showed. Nolen is a tough case because he was always hurt, but definitely a playmaker when he was on the court. I will say that I'm not sure I see the same improvement that you see in Hollins and Williams. To me, they're the same players they were when they started. Hollins is a streaky shooter and Williams can dunk, and that's about it....they did that 3 years ago.

Austin Hollins absolutely has improved in his 3 years with the Gophers. He's struggled big time as of late, but he had zero confidence in his shot as a freshmen. Hell, he made just 13 three pointers all year so don't know how you can see he was streaky that year. He's also a good defender who usually takes good care of the ball. His AST/TO ratio has almost doubled since two years ago. He's just struggling like the rest of the team.

As frustrating as he is, Rodney Williams has improved and can do more things than just dunk. He's usually a solid defender who blocks a lot of shots for someone who is 6'7". Although he still has a ways to go, Andre Hollins has gotten better at dishing the ball from last year to this year. Even just going back to last year, Andre Hollins looked night and day better late in the season compared to the first two thirds of it.

Damien Johnson is an obvious one of the guys not in the program anymore. Hoffarber become a much better all around player by the time he was a senior.

By no means am I trying to defend Tubby. We've been through that discussion on here a million times already. Just stop acting like he's the worst coach in basketball history.

You're crazy. Look at the post 2 above you

What does Obama have to do with this?

I will grant that all five guys are nice persons. However, they didn't remarkably improve over their stay in Minnesota. For some there was/has been regression. Damian Johnson comes the closest to improving, but like another poster said, he wasn't an offensive threat. He was probably the best defender that Tubby has produced, but hardly an offensive threat.

What does Obama have to do with this?

I will grant that all five guys are nice persons. However, they didn't remarkably improve over their stay in Minnesota. For some there was/has been regression. Damian Johnson comes the closest to improving, but like another poster said, he wasn't an offensive threat. He was probably the best defender that Tubby has produced, but hardly an offensive threat.

You'll have to excuse these players for not becoming a Victor Oladipo. That goes far beyond coaching.

You'll have to excuse these players for not becoming a Victor Oladipo. That goes far beyond coaching.

Why are you jumping to ridiculous conclusions? However, I'll tell you that under Tubby, Victor Oladipo would likely have regressed. The finger is not pointing at the players, but at the coach who failed to get the most out of his players because he failed to teach them.

I doubt that there is any name in basketball that can recruit national talent to the state of Minnesota. Certainly no one who is willing to come to Minnesota and take on the job of luring talent here.

Would completely disagree that this season is an epic collapse. Yes, to this point, we have not lived up to expectations, but with 4 games left, we can easily go 9-9 in B1G play, and make a Sweet 16 run. Still undisputibly the best team under Tubby.

Would completely disagree that this season is an epic collapse. Yes, to this point, we have not lived up to expectations, but with 4 games left, we can easily go 9-9 in B1G play, and make a Sweet 16 run. Still undisputibly the best team under Tubby.

If we finish 9-9 and are one and done, this would be very disputably the best team under Tubby.

Yawnnnn...the negativity on here is so predictable. Can we at
Least wait until the regular season is over before we are using words like collapse? We are one game below 500 in the toughest conference in America by far. If we beat Indiana I wonder who will be to blame for our successful season?

Is that the same curse that has led both our womens and mens hockey programs to the top of the heap in those sports, or that has led the Dance Team to more Natl Titles in the last decade than any other sport has won in all of UMn history, or that led the Golf team to its miraculous Natl Title win or that has led the Wrestling team to rank right up there with Iowa and Ok St as the Giants of that sport?! Seems to me our Women's VB team is doing pretty good as well?

Season? We still have a respectable record. Collapse in January and February...one can make a pretty good case for it. Although even then, stating it as a collapse is inaccurate. I would think of it more as an "exposure" rather than a collapse. We are able to overcome fundamental weaknesses through pure athleticism until we get to B1G play. As coaches tweak their schemes and reveal our fundamental flaws in the B1G we get exposed as a team that can be dismantled due to weak offensive sets in the half-court and due to sloppy fundamentals both in the offensive set and defensive rotations. I'll agree that collapse isn't the proper term.

Yawnnnn...the negativity on here is so predictable. Can we at
Least wait until the regular season is over before we are using words like collapse? We are one game below 500 in the toughest conference in America by far. If we beat Indiana I wonder who will be to blame for our successful season?
Yawn didn't bother to get our record right.

Season? We still have a respectable record. Collapse in January and February...one can make a pretty good case for it. Although even then, stating it as a collapse is inaccurate. I would think of it more as an "exposure" rather than a collapse. We are able to overcome fundamental weaknesses through pure athleticism until we get to B1G play. As coaches tweak their schemes and reveal our fundamental flaws in the B1G we get exposed as a team that can be dismantled due to weak offensive sets in the half-court and due to sloppy fundamentals both in the offensive set and defensive rotations. I'll agree that collapse isn't the proper term.
It's a collapse, we aren't losing games we're getting blow out. A former top 10 team who devolves into this (mostly bc of coaching) has collapsed.

Top Bottom