Who didn't play last night?

Gopherprof

Reaction score
I was curious so I went through the participation report and the roster to see who didn't record any action last night. Correct any of these if you think they are inaccurate. I'm not including any freshman obviously designated for redshirts or non-scholarship players.

-Dexter Foreman
-Grayson Levine
-Cameron Wilson
-Max Shortell
-Steven Montgomery
-Peter Westerhaus
-Kendall Gregory-McGhee
-David Cobb
-Moses Alipate
-Jephete Matilus
-Dan Orseske
-Quinn Bauducco
-Matt Garin
-Eric Jacques
-Luke McAvoy
-Sean Ferguson
-Kyle McAvoy
-Joe Bjorklund
-Victor Keise
-Malcolm Moulton
-Logan Hutton
-Kenny Watkins
-Foster Bush

23 guys total by my count. I believe 48 scholarship players did play, along with a few walk-ons.

I saw a few of these guys on the sidelines, though I'm guessing a fair number of them didn't travel. None of the names really are a surprise, but it is noteworthy that we burned a fair # of redshirts with so many defensive players on the bench.

I know that I saw Williams on the sideline after a special teams play, I thought he might have gotten in there, but I'm glad if he didn't. Kind of surprised that Moulton didn't get on the field, with Harbison injured and the deep rotation of WRs that they had going last night.

According to dpo, Alex Keith played last night. I've never seen much from Matt Garin that made my hair stand up, but you'd think he could do what little they are asking Keith to do so that Keith could redshirt and develop his body more. Ekpe played a lot, so if they think he is that much better than Jacques and Legania I can't argue it. You could probably say the same thing with the freshman safeties and guys like Watkins, Levine, and Montgomery.

But they don't pay me the big bucks and I'm not at practice everyday, so I'll trust Kill in whatever decisions he makes. Just thought it was interesting to look at.

According to dpo, Alex Keith played last night. I've never seen much from Matt Garin that made my hair stand up, but you'd think he could do what little they are asking Keith to do so that Keith could redshirt and develop his body more. Ekpe played a lot, so if they think he is that much better than Jacques and Legania I can't argue it. You could probably say the same thing with the freshman safeties and guys like Watkins, Levine, and Montgomery.

But they don't pay me the big bucks and I'm not at practice everyday, so I'll trust Kill in whatever decisions he makes. Just thought it was interesting to look at.

One of the issues is trying to balance out the size of our classes. It is hard to know what their long term plan is to do this but it appears that they kicked the problem down the road last night.

The 2015 class had 11 scholarship players in it before last night but now that 7 freshmen lost their red shirts last night it has 18 scholarship players. I did not include Jamel Harbison in this group because of the uncertainty of his status. This also means the our present 2016 red shirt class has been reduced from 20 scholarship players to 13. This number could increase next year if they don't red shirt everybody in next year's very small class but that would really put the 2017 class out of balance. Balancing our classes is going to take time and the use of JC players along with awarding of scholarships to walk-ons.

One of the issues is trying to balance out the size of our classes. It is hard to know what their long term plan is to do this but it appears that they kicked the problem down the road last night.

The 2015 class had 11 scholarship players in it before last night but now that 7 freshmen lost their red shirts last night it has 18 scholarship players. I did not include Jamel Harbison in this group because of the uncertainty of his status. This also means the our present 2016 red shirt class has been reduced from 20 scholarship players to 13. This number could increase next year if they don't red shirt everybody in next year's very small class but that would really put the 2017 class out of balance. Balancing our classes is going to take time and the use of JC players along with awarding of scholarships to walk-ons.
If Keith played last night that would make 8. 8 guys out of a 20-man class is pretty high. Like you said, it basically just kicks the can down the road because now the '15 class has 19 scholarship players, but the '16 class is down to 12. If next years class is only 12-14 guys, that means we'd basically have to redshirt everyone to create any sense of equity.

Did Rodrick Williams Jr play last night? I thought I may have saw him out there on special teams or something. Gotta say I wanted to see him redshirted. He has a lot of potential imo.

There is always attrition as well. I'm not worried about it.

Looked up the participation stats, didn't see him listed. Sorry about the indefinite post.

If Keith played last night that would make 8. 8 guys out of a 20-man class is pretty high. Like you said, it basically just kicks the can down the road because now the '15 class has 19 scholarship players, but the '16 class is down to 12. If next years class is only 12-14 guys, that means we'd basically have to redshirt everyone to create any sense of equity.

I hear what you're saying but I think our staff is in the "best players play mode".

Generally, I agree with you. If a kid isn't going to get a ton of snaps, I would much prefer to see him RS. That said, I wouldn't worry about the class of '16 when it comes to evening out the classes. Those things tend to have a way of figuring themselves out. We'll very likely have 16-18 next year (attrition) and probably that many in '16.

I thought I saw someone post earlier that he shares a uniform number with the LB Schultz & that it was actually Schultz on the KO team, not Williams. I'm not 100% of this, but I THINK that's what I read earlier.

Did Rodrick Williams Jr play last night? I thought I may have saw him out there on special teams or something. Gotta say I wanted to see him redshirted. He has a lot of potential imo.

I too saw Rodrick Williams running off the field on kick return or something, I agree it was a special teams play and even thought to myself at the time that it was NOT a good idea to burn his redshirt for Spec teams. And it wasn't Shultz, it was Williams, I saw his number and name on the back of his jersey.

I hear what you're saying but I think our staff is in the "best players play mode".

Generally, I agree with you. If a kid isn't going to get a ton of snaps, I would much prefer to see him RS. That said, I wouldn't worry about the class of '16 when it comes to evening out the classes. Those things tend to have a way of figuring themselves out. We'll very likely have 16-18 next year (attrition) and probably that many in '16.
I'm less concerned with the raw numbers game as I am with the "are we getting the best four years out of this player that we can?" question. Losing Da'Jon McKnight's redshirt, for example, didn't really effect the numbers game very much, but I'd much prefer to have him around this year than four years ago when he played a few games on special teams.

And, it's worth noting, Keith may not have even played last night. I'm basing this entirely off of dpo's observations. But the two safties did play, and if it was just to play on special teams I just wonder why guys like Levine and Montgomery can't fill those spots as well. Those guys were Kill recruits, unlike guys like Matt Garin and Kenny Watkins.

I just don't like the idea of burning redshirts for special teams play. Especially when you have so many guys on scholarship who didn't play.

Keith did play last night, I saw him a few times. We needed to play lots of the freshmen because these are the guys that Kill is going to have to win with in the next 4 years. Might as well get them some experience now so they can see the field and be ready to step up and contribute over the next several years. Second reason is to get to the ideal class size of 18, we don't ever want to be in the position where we have to go out and recruit 28-30 players in a single class again. As long as Nelson and the O-linemen can redshirt, that's all that matters. Those are the guys who really take some time to mature and where a 5th year is really helpful.

I too saw Rodrick Williams running off the field on kick return or something, I agree it was a special teams play and even thought to myself at the time that it was NOT a good idea to burn his redshirt for Spec teams. And it wasn't Shultz, it was Williams, I saw his number and name on the back of his jersey.

Yep I remember that as well. Today I was hoping that it was a mix up or something. Wasting his redshirt, especially for special teams, would be a pretty significant mistake in my opinion. His upside is seemingly potent. I'm just curious as to why I didn't see his name in the participation stats.

If anyone is curious, the following players saw action today who didn't play last week.

-Stephen Montgomery
-Grayson Levine
-Joe Bjorklund
-Foster Bush
-Victor Keise
-Logan Hutton (first catch in his career, I believe)
-Max Shortell
-Matt Garin
-Eric Jacques

Glad the blowout allowed them to get some time. That leaves 14 non-redshirt scholarship players who didn't see the field, and you'd imagine it would take some injuries for them to get in at this point.

Thank for the report, Gopherprof.

Did Andre McDonald see the field today? I was listening and I didn't hear his name once and that surprised me a little.

Thank for the report, Gopherprof.

Did Andre McDonald see the field today? I was listening and I didn't hear his name once and that surprised me a little.

Report is he had some kind of infection from turf burn and they were being cautious and kept him out.

Thanks! I just saw that in another thread. There are so many different threads to keep up with!

Glad it wasn't something else (discipline, worse injury).

Top Bottom