who calls plays in the "Bowl" game?

akgo4

Reaction score
and is that person auditioning for the actual job?

I'm guessing Pat Poore calls plays with Trevor Olson and Adam Weber on the sidelines.

Time for Kill to put that transition/consulting fee to good use. Stroke the post!

I put bowl in quotes for sarcasm. - most people don't envision Detroit for a fun bowl experience.

Welt kill come back to help for bowl game and bridge the gap

and is that person auditioning for the actual job?

The future OC is not on the staff. They will just have to patch it together for the bowl game on offense. Tough to say how they will handle game planning and play calling at this point

Is the GH Play calling by vote still on the table?

I put bowl in quotes for sarcasm. - most people don't envision Detroit for a fun bowl experience.

Yeah, we understand you are a "fan" of "football" at "Minnesota".

Ish.

They should let one of us call the plays with our Xbox madden style.

I know we are all having some fun with this but it will be very interesting to see how they handle things on the offensive side of the ball. Having gotten to a bowl game we really need to come away with the W. Game planning and play calling are not as easy as some like to pretend they are and communication will also be key as you will have a short handed staff managing the game and trying to fill roles held by longtime coaches.

Nearly every member of the offensive staff will have their typical game day roles shifted in some way. In a sport that is as focused on routine as football that has the potential to cause some problems on game day. At least they have a month or so to work out some of the details and get as prepared as possible.

My guess is Reeves doing the OC and Sawvel the DC with TC's input.

Expect the Gophs to try and establish the run but I hope they will mix it up and show a few new things. If successful, this game plan could be a vision of what the O may look like under TC.

Here's Pat Poore's resume
Coaching Experience
2014-present: Minnesota - Running Backs
2011-13: Minnesota - Wide Receivers
2010: Northern Illinois - Wide Receivers
2008-09: Northern Illinois - Quarterbacks
2001-07: Southern Illinois - Quarterbacks
1999-2000: Central Oklahoma - Assistant Coach
1997-98: Tarleton State - Offensive Coordinator
1995-96: Panhandle State - Offensive Coordinator
1994-95: Iowa Wesleyan - Head Coach
1992-94: Iowa Wesleyan - Offensive Coordinator
1991-92: University of Chicago - Recruiting/Special Teams
1990-91: Colorado School of Mines - Defensive Backs/Special Teams
1988-89: Fort Hays State - Offensive Coordinator
1987-88: Fort Hays State - Defensive Backs
1985-86: Fort Hays State - Graduate Assistant
I have no doubt that he'll be calling the plays. Coach Clayes has said he's comfortable with 80% of the offense. It's not a stretch to envision that we'll look pretty much the same, except, there very well could be a package of plays designed to get the ball to play makers in space.

My guess is Reeves doing the OC and Sawvel the DC with TC's input.

Expect the Gophs to try and establish the run but I hope they will mix it up and show a few new things. If successful, this game plan could be a vision of what the O may look like under TC.
Here's Reeve's Resume

Coaching Experience
2011: Minnesota - Tight Ends/H-Backs
2008-10: Northern Illinois - Running Backs
2001-07: Southern Illinois - Running Backs
1998-00: Emporia State - Running Backs
1996-98: Saginaw Valley State - Graduate Assistant/Quarterbacks

A friend of mine joked that Mitch should call the game. We laughed, but I started to think it could be kind of a kick to let him call it, or maybe for a full quarter. They want to make the game fun for the kids, I bet they'd enjoy it.

Tight end Coach Rob Reeves will serve as the offensive coordinator, while offensive quality control Nate Griffin will coach the tight ends. Offensive graduate assistant Trevor Olson and special teams quality control Jay Nunez will coach the offensive line and offensive graduate assistant Adam Weber will coach the quarterbacks.

Defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel will be Minnesota’s defensive coordinator, while Dan O’Brien, who joined the staff on Nov. 30 as co-special teams coordinator, assistant defensive backs coach and assistant to the head coach, will make his Minnesota coaching debut in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Running backs coach Pat Poore will also begin working as co-special teams coordinator in the bowl.

Minnesota faces Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 28. The game will be played at Ford Field and is scheduled for a 4 p.m. CT kickoff and will be televised by ESPN2.

The Quick Lane Bowl will be the Gophers' 18th bowl game all-time and will also be the fourth-straight bowl game for Minnesota.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120715aaa.html

Tight end Coach Rob Reeves will serve as the offensive coordinator, while offensive quality control Nate Griffin will coach the tight ends. Offensive graduate assistant Trevor Olson and special teams quality control Jay Nunez will coach the offensive line and offensive graduate assistant Adam Weber will coach the quarterbacks.

Defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel will be Minnesota’s defensive coordinator, while Dan O’Brien, who joined the staff on Nov. 30 as co-special teams coordinator, assistant defensive backs coach and assistant to the head coach, will make his Minnesota coaching debut in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Running backs coach Pat Poore will also begin working as co-special teams coordinator in the bowl.

Minnesota faces Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 28. The game will be played at Ford Field and is scheduled for a 4 p.m. CT kickoff and will be televised by ESPN2.

The Quick Lane Bowl will be the Gophers' 18th bowl game all-time and will also be the fourth-straight bowl game for Minnesota.

Will be a great experience for the grad assistants to really get a feel for what it is like to be a position coach. Great resume builder for them either at the U or a future stop down the line as well.

The good thing is that on offense you don't have to be as concerned about what the other team is throwing at you and can focus on what you have done the entire season. Defense would be much tougher because you have to tailor your game plan to what the other team runs. I still think game day communication will be the biggest hurdle for them to get over.

University of Minnesota football coach Tracy Claeys announced the following appointments to his staff for the 2015 Quick Lane Bowl.

This explains a lot.

So I assume like usual you have some issue with what I said? Granted you only picked a portion of the post in order to prove some point I'm sure.

So I assume like usual you have some issue with what I said? Granted you only picked a portion of the post in order to prove some point I'm sure.

"Lighten up Francis". He took my post and three posts later reprinted it. Even used the same link! ;)

The portion of your post I quoted suggested defensive schemes and play calling aren't as significant as offense, which is absurd.

"Lighten up Francis". He took my post and three posts later reprinted it. Even used the same link! ;)

My apologies to all, and especially Iceland12. For some reason -- I blame my PC -- the previous posting of the announcement was not showing up in the thread, or anywhere else I find. I've noticed over the course of the season that not every link to news and stories about Gopher football appears on GH, and I'd prefer twice over none.

The portion of your post I quoted suggested defensive schemes and play calling aren't as significant as offense, which is absurd.

Way to take something totally out of context in order to prove some imaginary point. I was not saying that at all, my point was that your basic offense is the same from week to week so from a gameplanning standpoint you have to study the defense and find ways to attack them but you aren't going to fundamentally change your offense no mater who you are playing. This is a good thing for a shorthanded staff as they won't have to reinvent the wheel they will just need to figure out how best to attack Central Michigan using the playbook that is already in place.

On the flip side when you are gameplanning on defense you may find yourself going against an offense that is totally different from anything you have seen before so your players have to learn and adjust to new play types and formations in a relatively short period of time.

Both are important and both are difficult but in general it is easier to put together an offensive gameplan at this point in the season then it is to put together a defensive one.

... in general it is easier to put together an offensive gameplan at this point in the season then it is to put together a defensive one.

Ah. This must be why offenses progressively dominate defenses as the season goes on.

Ah. This must be why offenses progressively dominate defenses as the season goes on.

Again, not even remotely close to what I said. I should have known better then to even bother replying to your B.S.

Top Bottom