Who are your four favorite Gophers running backs?

Mo, Maroney, MB3, Brooks

Hard to leave out Rod Smith and Cobb. There are some greats from the past but I really appreciate the modern era backs we've had.

They shared a backfield, but MBIII and Maroney couldn't have had more different running styles.

I loved watching Barber eat opposing LBs and no other RB rode the lightning better for me than Laurence. Probably our hoops equivalent of the Lou Hudson and Archie Clark backcourt.

It's probably a criminal offense worthy of a blindfold and cigarette to rank anyone above Bronko and Bruce, though, even if you never watched them play.

the first thing that pops in my brain is Gary Russell rumbling down the right sideline in the Big House in 05 .
Not many remember Gary Russell, since he kind-of got lost in the MBIII / Maroney years... but in 2005 (which was really his only year with the Gophers because he couldn't be bothered to go to class) he was the other half of Glen's pair of 1000-yd rushers (with Maroney.) He rushed for 1130 yards on only 186 carries, avging 6.1 per carry. He also scored 18 TDs that year on the ground and another in the air. He was a beast... and it's a shame he didn't stick around for another season or two.

I'm only comfortable naming backs whose play I witnessed. For me, to name great backs from the past who I never saw would be pretentious. I know it isn't so for everyone, and that's okay.

1. Darrell Thompson
2. Marion Barber III
3. Chris Darkins
4. David Cobb / Thomas Tapeh / Rodney Smith

Top Bottom