Who are your favorite college football play by play and color commentary announcers?

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I was just watching a replay of the ‘19 victory over Penn State (yes, I do that too often) and it really solidified something I mention often: Sean McDonough is one of, if not thee best in the business. The dude clearly does his homework, and it shows when he finds perfect timing to stream an endless supply of background info and side stories about the players, programs, etc.

Combine that meticulous prep with his voice/delivery, and the great way he elevates his tone on big plays… and it is near perfection for me.

I first took note of him way back in 2003 when he was the primary announcer for a Gopher hockey natty. I’ve enjoyed him ever since and was happy to see he became the primary announcer for big NHL games now too.

Who are your faves and who makes you cringe?

I like Sean, too. The Fox guy, can't think of his name right now, yells too much and he makes every play sounds like the play of the game.

I tend to like whatever BTN guys there are because they actually know the teams.

I watch with the TV on mute with CC so I do not have to endure the non-stop logorrhea assaulting my ear drums.

I was just watching a replay of the ‘19 victory over Penn State (yes, I do that too often) and it really solidified something I mention often: Sean McDonough is one of, if not thee best in the business. The dude clearly does his homework, and it shows when he finds perfect timing to stream an endless supply of background info and side stories about the players, programs, etc.

Combine that meticulous prep with his voice/delivery, and the great way he elevates his tone on big plays… and it is near perfection for me.

I first took note of him way back in 2003 when he was the primary announcer for a Gopher hockey natty. I’ve enjoyed him ever since and was happy to see he became the primary announcer for big NHL games now too.

Who are your faves and who makes you cringe?
Minnesota's own Brad Nessler is by far my favorite, Bob Griese (sp?) teamed with Brad is a tough duo to top.

Beth Mowins is fantastic
austin-powers-sarcastic.gif

Gus is my favorite play-by-play guy, Nessler a close second. Blackledge is a good color guy.

He unfortunately doesn't do college football, but Kevin Harlan. He's a great announcer and makes college basketball a lot of fun. Another favorite of mine is Mike Tirico, who does football and basketball. He actually called the Gophers' win over No. 1 Indiana in 2013 at the Barn.

Joe Tessitore has some great calls, too. He really captures the excitement of big plays and major moments.

I miss Brent Mussberger calling games, his "you are looking live" made a person excited for the game to come. He was great during the Michigan Vs. Notre Dame game in 2011.

I enjoy Grinnin’ Glen Mason, Herbstreit, and a few others that have insight mixed into their talk. Gus Johnson was annoying even before the Ohio State debacle. Every play is not Lake Placid. Silence is Golden, sometimes.

Gus Johnson sucks. He's the Paul Allen of the national stage. Settle down, spazzes.

He unfortunately doesn't do college football, but Kevin Harlan. He's a great announcer and makes college basketball a lot of fun. Another favorite of mine is Mike Tirico, who does football and basketball. He actually called the Gophers' win over No. 1 Indiana in 2013 at the Barn.

Joe Tessitore has some great calls, too. He really captures the excitement of big plays and major moments.

I miss Brent Mussberger calling games, his "you are looking live" made a person excited for the game to come. He was great during the Michigan Vs. Notre Dame game in 2011.
I remember the "you are looking live" before NFL Today back in the 70s. I also remember him creeping on the Alabama QB's girlfriend when they kept zooming in on her in the crowd. 😳

I remember the "you are looking live" before NFL Today back in the 70s. I also remember him creeping on the Alabama QB's girlfriend when they kept zooming in on her in the crowd. 😳
"This one's for all the Tostitos."

I'm not going to say he's my favorite, but Clay Matvick is really underrated. He does a nice job and doesn't make the broadcast all about him.

Top Bottom