Who are your "Blue Bloods"?

GopherPoke

Reaction score
With coaches/players coming and going, the term is thrown around repeatedly on here. Who do you consider a blue blood and why? How long until a school is no longer considered a blue blood?
I'll start:
UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, UCLA. Those immediately come to mind.
All due to their history. Now, the last couple have dropped off, but I'd argue they still qualify. No right answer for sure.

North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA are all the first tier to me.
I think other programs are too 1 coach success based.

next tier (in no order):
Indiana, Michigan state, Arizona, Michigan, Duke among others.

Duke will move up to that top tier if they have sustained success in the 10 years following coach K

Blue Bloods are programs that have a long history of success across coaches and command lots of attention from media and potential recruits.

UNC, KY, KS, and UCLA fit that description. Duke currently is a blue blood because they have been good for a long time but they don't have quite the same level of success across coaches. No other Duke coach has had results close to Coach K. I think it's time to put Gonzaga in that category as well. Probably the next coach won't do as well as Few but I expect they will continue to be successful.

Blue Bloods are schools that pick recruits rather than recruit. There are currently a few.
Duke
Kentucky
Kansas
North Carolina
Arizona
Gonzaga
Michigan

Not quite there:
MSU
Indiana
UCLA
Louisville

these schools can pick and choose recruits Minnesota would drool over. No matter who is coaching.

re: Gonzaga

Yeahbut, shouldn't you have to be great in a difficult conference, where there's at least a chance you won't win it?

UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina.

Tier 2: Arizona, Michigan State, Maryland, Syracuse, Louisville, Villanova.

Blue Bloods are schools that pick recruits rather than recruit. There are currently a few.
Duke
Kentucky
Kansas
North Carolina
Arizona
Gonzaga
Michigan

Not quite there:
MSU
Indiana
UCLA
Louisville

these schools can pick and choose recruits Minnesota would drool over. No matter who is coaching.
Gonzaga is a blue blood but UCLA isn't? Ok

Not to mention Arizona?

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.

there’s certainly a second tier that stand above everyone else as well, but if we’re talking true blue bloods it’s those 4 only. There isn’t really one objective measure, but the best way I’d put it is “programs where a 12 year old could take over and still probably do ok”.

Gonzaga Is very similar to 1991 Duke. They could very well turn the corner here and be scary for a long time. To answer question these teams always stick out to me;
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan state, ohio state, maybe even a Louisville, Florida, Florida state, Virginia. Okay this list is pretty broad, but these teams are almost always good even years they shouldn't be

Gonzaga Is very similar to 1991 Duke. They could very well turn the corner here and be scary for a long time. To answer question these teams always stick out to me;
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan state, ohio state, maybe even a Louisville, Florida, Florida state, Virginia. Okay this list is pretty broad, but these teams are almost always good even years they shouldn't be
Gonzaga will turn the corner because of their conference. They will win 25 games every year. Their getting better recruits than anybody right now.

With coaches/players coming and going, the term is thrown around repeatedly on here. Who do you consider a blue blood and why? How long until a school is no longer considered a blue blood?
I'll start:
UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, UCLA. Those immediately come to mind.
All due to their history. Now, the last couple have dropped off, but I'd argue they still qualify. No right answer for sure.

1617366204709.png

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.

there’s certainly a second tier that stand above everyone else as well, but if we’re talking true blue bloods it’s those 4 only. There isn’t really one objective measure, but the best way I’d put it is “programs where a 12 year old could take over and still probably do ok”.
How about this definition: “programs where Richard Pitino could take over and still probably do ok”.

I'll start:
I have never thought of Michigan basketball as a blue blood. In football, yes, not hoops. Their attendance for hoops is average, their fans don’t care about hoops nearly as much. Michigan State more than Michigan, but still largely one coach, Izzo. Jud won with a once in a lifetime talent, Magic, but wasn’t great overall. Indiana was also largely a one coach program - Knight. Haven’t done a lot without him, so not really a blue blood.

the automatic three to me are UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. I’d add UCLA but they’re borderline because it’s been a long drought. Duke? Probability, but it’s all Coach K. A blue blood has to sustain beyond that.

Arizona has been pretty up and down since Lute I already posted about Michigan, MSU, and Indiana - I don’t think they qualify: Florida? FSU? Virginia? Even Build says Virginia loses recruits to blue bloods. Bennett a great coach, but they’ve been average until he came along. A blue blood is more than a coach, and has a history of consistent winning over decades. The only programs that have done that with multiple coaches are really UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. Louisville close but have had more down years than the others, but at least in conversation. Duke has had decades of winning, all with one coach though. So they’re there probably, but will be interesting to see what happens post K. Do they go to average like Indiana has post Knight?

Gonzaga will turn the corner because of their conference. They will win 25 games every year. Their getting better recruits than anybody right now.
But their conference is exactly the reason why they are not a blue blood. They will win 20-25 games every year, just like any mid level P5 school would with that schedule!

They are an NDSU.

Top Bottom