Who are the better head coach candidates?

As Bob G pointed out repeatedly...as tactfully as he could...on the ESPN-cast, this is Weber's third year as a starter and he still doesn't seem to know how to throw the ball away "legally" without taking a drive-killing sack or has a sense of the seconds ticking away (1,2,3,4,...) before he gets overwhelmed by the D. Many times Bob contrasted Tol's poise in only his fifth game as a starter with Weber's obvious difficulties.

Why hasn't Weber learned these basic QB skills after 25+ starts? The only possibilities I can think of is: he hasn't been coached properly in the past three years; he is ignoring the coaching he has been getting, or perhaps is just incapable of incorporating some QB fundamentals into his game that are basic for a starting BT QB. To his credit, he is an awfully tough hombre and at times shows flashes of absolute brilliance.

Hopefully, Brew can sit down with him and get to the bottom of the problem because whatever has been done coaching-wise in the past does not seem to be addressing these issues.

Maybe someone here knows the answer.

Why hasn't Weber learned these basic QB skills after 25+ starts? The only possibilities I can think of is: he hasn't been coached properly in the past three years; he is ignoring the coaching he has been getting, or perhaps is just incapable of incorporating some QB fundamentals into his game that are basic for a starting BT QB. To his credit, he is an awfully tough hombre and at times shows flashes of absolute brilliance.

You can make the same argument for T-Jack of the oh so precious vikings, and yet you guys still started him repeatedly. Granted no one wanted him to play, but seriously its the same argument. Perhaps the new offense is a little more nerve racking for Weber? Not really sure of the answer on this question, but I don't think the coaching has anything to do with it.

Dungy is going to stay retired. Indy would've been happy to have him for as long as he wanted to stay. He retired because he's tired & didn't want to do it anymore.

2 years / 4 games into his tenure would be awfully early for the U to be firing Brewster. The type of coach you want is going to demand more loyalty and patience than that; the "best" candidates would mark the job down (less desirable) if that happened.

When I see rushing yards / yards allowed numbers like I see today, it tells me Wisconsin has more talent (or it's further along in development) on both lines than the Gophers.

Get the horses, train the horses, use the horses. It's too early for final grades.

In response to what Doogie and Weisbrod were discussing earlier, I would say the job is mediocre as it stands right now. However, in terms of potential, it definitely could be a very good job.

Unfortunately, that's where we're at in terms of discussing what kind of candidate it could attract. We haven't exactly established the program as one that high-level coaches are clamoring to get to. But with the new stadium, a nice metro area and some decent in-state talent, certainly the potential is there for the job to an excellent opportunity.

Having said all that, I believe any talk of replacing Brewster should be tempered, at least for now.

I agree with BradDad as far as timing.

That said, I don't want to get in another Mason situation where the program is stuck at one level, it's painfully clear it's not going to improve, and yet we stick with the same thing. Brewster has to do something this year to show that he's got the program moving forward, and this was his last chance to do it in a home game. He needs to win at OSU,PSU, or Iowa. If their is no reason for excitement going in to year 4, then I think we are better off moving on. I think Brewster has done some very good things, he's clearly improved on the talent level he inherited, and I admire his passion for the job. At some point, it all boils down to W's and L's, and I think it's fair to analyze where we are and (more importantly) where we are going at the end of year 3.

I agree that Brewster is passionate and a good recruiter but his teams so far have been mistake prone, lacking discipline and the play calling is suspect at best....we need a coach who can recruit and coach and so far I don't see it in Brewster. Mason brought us to mediocrity most of the time and Brewster was brought in to bring us to a higher level and so far he has not.

At least nobody has panicked and suggested Murray Warmath because he was the last coach to take us to the Rose Bowl.

At least nobody has panicked and suggested Murray Warmath because he was the last coach to take us to the Rose Bowl.

Does anybody know if Murray Warmath has a son who might be interested?

I'd like to see Brew and, I can't believe I'm writing this, all the coaches back next year. We've had such a revolving door for coordinators here. I just want a little continuity.

I don't know who to suggest as the next coach if Brewster can't break through in the next year or two.

i wonder how much is on the play calling from the coaches or weber changing the play at the line

Dungy is going to stay retired. Indy would've been happy to have him for as long as he wanted to stay. He retired because he's tired & didn't want to do it anymore.

2 years / 4 games into his tenure would be awfully early for the U to be firing Brewster. The type of coach you want is going to demand more loyalty and patience than that; the "best" candidates would mark the job down (less desirable) if that happened.

Get the horses, train the horses, use the horses. It's too early for final grades.

+1000 You get rid of Brew this early and you will be lucky to get a well used retread to coach this team. Why would a new good coach commit to a school that fires this quickly? They wouldn't. People on this board are absolutely amazing and need to get a clue. Brew gets 4 years minimum unless this season implodes and they don't win another game. To do less would set this program back multiple years (again). If he finishes 7-5 I think he gets his extension.

Top Bottom