Who are the better head coach candidates?

David Cutcliff, Duke - Duke gave up 54pts today to Wake...I think we already got Cutcliff's 'brother from another mother' already leading the team.

Harbaugh would work for me.

Forgot about him.

No point in firing Brewster this early in the year.

GM

Forgot about him.

No point in firing Brewster this early in the year.

GM

Well you are right. There is no point in firing Brewster now unless you have someone ready to accept the job. Otherwise it is death to the program to fire him now as no one will commit here. Brewster will be fired at the end of this year though. So it will be really interesting to see who we go after. Harbaugh did just sign an extension with Stanford, but enough money would get him here. I agree with many though, I'm not sure Maturi is the right guy to be picking...

Can we at least be realistic about the names we're throwing out there? Stoops at Arizona? Why would he come here? Harbaugh? Come on. You can probably count one one finger the number of BCS head coaches who would leave their BCS school for Minnesota. And the next level of up-and-comers won't come here, either. Patterson (TCU) already turned us down. Peterson (Boise St.) ain't coming. Dungy isn't coming. Harbaugh and Stoops aren't coming. Sumlin (Houston) is possible, only because he has been here before.

I love these threads about what could be. But please ... please let's be realistic. We are talking about a lower-level DI coach or BCS assistant for our next coach. Assuming we're lucky.

Cory Sauter worked with Dungy for 2 years x gopher with experience doesn't need a separate offensive coordinator right down at Southwest MN State

PS 2 wins 0 losses first year as head coach

I'm aboard the Leach bandwagon...but we all know full well that MN would never hire a guy that has even a sniff of controversy around him.

Cory Sauter worked with Dungy for 2 years x gopher with experience doesn't need a separate offensive coordinator right down at Southwest MN State

PS 2 wins 0 losses first year as head coach

Would hate this move as a Mustang alum, but would be welcome to the change as a Gopher fan.

BOB NIELSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Can we at least be realistic about the names we're throwing out there? Stoops at Arizona? Why would he come here? Harbaugh? Come on. You can probably count one one finger the number of BCS head coaches who would leave their BCS school for Minnesota. And the next level of up-and-comers won't come here, either. Patterson (TCU) already turned us down. Peterson (Boise St.) ain't coming. Dungy isn't coming. Harbaugh and Stoops aren't coming. Sumlin (Houston) is possible, only because he has been here before.

I love these threads about what could be. But please ... please let's be realistic. We are talking about a lower-level DI coach or BCS assistant for our next coach. Assuming we're lucky.

HM...while I agree in substance, I will say there was no chance we'd get Tubby either, and yet here he is. Sometimes circumstances converge in your favor. Sometimes they don't (John Wooden to UCLA). And I was more throwing out who I'd like to see, not who is most realistic. Long time before it matters, so we'll see. Washington is down at half to Syracuse. Maybe they'll dump Sarkisian for us...

This guy beats DII schools from CA and builds a program in Duluth. Hasn't lost a road game in 3 years. I think Ohio St is pretty happy with the DII coach they brought in - along with other schools.

I know Nielson is a D-II guy, but who is the D-II guy that Ohio State hired? Tresell was a four-time national champion coach at the I-AA level. He was not a D-II coach.

The firing will not happen during the year. No point in worrying about that. Maturi won't do it, and the U won't spend the money.

Randy Edsall would be great. Good coach who has made the most of his recruits. Good eye for talent, as the northeast is not as talent-rich as most areas. Runs an offensive system that utilizes big linemen (like the ones we have). Has developed some excellent players over the last few years.

Another name is Don Brown (Maryland DC). He was the head coach at UMass for a number of years. He won conference championships at the D-III level and at two stops along the way at the 1-AA level. At UMass, he never finished worse than 2nd in the conference (one of the best in 1-AA) and made it to the national championship game. I heard him speak at a clinic and was impressed by his enthusiasm and approach to the game.

Harbaugh, Stoops, Dungy, Patterson, etc. are non-factors. These two guys are more realistic, in my opinion, and have track records of success.

I doubt there will be a change at HC regardless but the first call I would make would be to Harbaugh. A B10 guy which I think would be needed.

Or Edsall would be nice but neither of these guys are taking this job if open.

One name I haven't heard today and more than likely would be high on a list of candidates is Paul Chryst.

Top Bottom