Who are college football’s most surprising impact transfers? (OL Quinn Carroll and Chuck Filiaga, Notre Dame/Michigan → Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Athletic:

OL Quinn Carroll and Chuck Filiaga, Notre Dame/Michigan → Minnesota

It is extremely difficult to find good starter-caliber offensive linemen in the transfer portal. In the 2021-22 transfer cycle, only 39 scholarship Power 5 offensive linemen entered the portal as grad transfers. Minnesota landed two of them. Carroll and Filiaga earned starting jobs at right tackle and right guard, respectively, and have helped solidify the line of one of the nation’s best offenses through four games. The undefeated Gophers have the No. 2 rushing attack in the FBS at 294.5 yards per game, and quarterback Tanner Morgan ranks No. 3 in passing yards per attempt at 11.2. He has only been sacked once this season.

Go Gophers!!

Good article. Feel like this has been overlooked. Graduated a number of guys off one of our best offensive lines in a long time.....yet haven't taken a step backwards. In fact....the line might even be better this year! Crazy to see what looked like a potential question mark turn into a strength.

Good article. Feel like this has been overlooked. Graduated a number of guys off one of our best offensive lines in a long time.....yet haven't taken a step backwards. In fact....the line might even be better this year! Crazy to see what looked like a potential question mark turn into a strength.
I think this line is better at pass protect for sure. Last year's line was average at pass protect.

This line is really experienced and deep. Ersery is not young, Fiagala, JMS, Ruschmeyer, Carroll, etc.

Also, this line seems more athletic than last years. Maybe it’s just the competition so far but they are smaller and more agile.

I also don’t think the blocking fall off from Kieft to our current TEs has been as big as we may have thought it would be.

I think this line is better at pass protect for sure. Last year's line was average at pass protect.
Part of the problem with last year was almost all passes were in obvious passing situations, and most routes were deep, overly-developing routes. It was set up to fail. With that said, even when Morgan has sat back in the pocket this year, he does seem to have much more time.

This line is really experienced and deep. Ersery is not young, Fiagala, JMS, Ruschmeyer, Carroll, etc.

Also, this line seems more athletic than last years. Maybe it’s just the competition so far but they are smaller and more agile.

I also don’t think the blocking fall off from Kieft to our current TEs has been as big as we may have thought it would be.

Ersery has gotten my attention. He looks really good the limited amount of time I've seen him.

Nor is ranked #2 G by PFF, albeit with limited saps and JMS is #1 of course and Chuckstar #19

As best I can tell we have not yet faced a team with a high-caliber edge rusher...doesn't have to be Winfield quality to be a concern.

Even in max-protect that can be an issue with the right personnel.

Can't help but stir the pot again but do we miss Big Dan? Huge fan ever since the GT pancake game but really this group is holding the line very well.

Back to original point...I think the edge blitz is a test we need to pass to ensure our QB makes it through the entire season.

As best I can tell we have not yet faced a team with a high-caliber edge rusher...doesn't have to be Winfield quality to be a concern.

Can't help but stir the pot again but do we miss Big Dan? Huge fan ever since the GT pancake game but really this group is holding the line very well.

Back to original point...I think the edge blitz is a test we need to pass to ensure our QB makes it through the entire season.
We faced a very good edge rusher at E. Lansing. We handled him.

Fleck has already said Esery could end up to be the best he has ever coached, a group that would include Big Dan.

Top Bottom