Who’s going Bowling on December 28th?

Bleed, I've been in Phoenix for a number of years. I've always admired your dedication to all that's Minnesota Gopher sports. If you ever want to meet for a coffee you can contact me through this forum.

I would love that! I will send a PM tonight. Thank you.

Go Gophers!!

I did the LAS to PHX drive in 2006 and was hoping to make work it again this year, worst case, with a Sedona stopover one night. (check out Oak Creek Canyon)

The rental car rates are still garbage, so I am hoping for a flight to PHX mid day at the last minute on the 28th, or a very early flight to LAS and I'll pay 100 plus for a car.

The Phoenix hotel rates are not anything to write home about either. Back in 2006 I stayed at the Grand Hyatt/ Gainey Ranch resort for under $100 a night even though Boise State fans had taken over the city. This year the rate was $600 a night. So much for the "off season" in AZ.

What the hell, there is only one more game this year so I am going to get motivated at the last minute. I got it down to $400 a ticket a few nights ago, but just could not pull the trigger for more than 2x days.
Just looked at Marriott's website and the Sheraton downtown has rates starting at $156 and at the Renaissance (athletic Dept. travel package hotel) for $172. Can stay downtown as low as $152 (Courtyard) or near the airport if you Uber to the game for $99 (Aloft).

We used points for our stay, but looks like you can get hotels somewhat reasonably. I was able to rent the car through our work contract so while not cheap it's manageable for 5 days ($250 for full size).

Lifelong Minnesotan in my heart and forever a die-hard MN sports fan, but a new career opportunity and a family life adventure presented itself. So far we love it.

Go Gophers!!
Keeping your season tickets? Spreading out to family that is staying cold?

The Missus and I will be there. Splitting time between Vegas and the Valley of the Sun. Thank heavens for points to temper the cost. Rented a car away from the airport, much, much cheaper. This will be our third bowl game, Quicklane and Outback were our previous ones.

The Missus and I will be there. Splitting time between Vegas and the Valley of the Sun. Thank heavens for points to temper the cost. Rented a car away from the airport, much, much cheaper. This will be our third bowl game, Quicklane and Outback were our previous ones.
God bless for the Quicklane love.

With me being the only Gopher or Football fan in my house i’m outnumbered 1-4. I’ll be enjoying a great Gopher game all by myself..

We’ve heard from many that are not going. Who’s going and what’s your story?

I’ve been in Phoenix since 2013. One of the few and hardy fans that drove to San Diego to see the Gophs beat WSU. Actually drove to Las Cruces and saw Aggievision live.

Been to Music City, Holiday, Insight, Texas, Citrus Bowls. This will be my 6th.

Not happy with bowl positioning but probably got what we deserved. Ecstatic, however, that my trip to the game is under 10 minutes. Will buy premium tix, parking, and tailgate.

Paying the dough to see my Gophs.
we have a place in scottsdale but will not be able to attend. last bowl game in az i attended was the game mason was fired after. wish i could attend.

We’ve heard from many that are not going. Who’s going and what’s your story?

I’ve been in Phoenix since 2013. One of the few and hardy fans that drove to San Diego to see the Gophs beat WSU. Actually drove to Las Cruces and saw Aggievision live.

Been to Music City, Holiday, Insight, Texas, Citrus Bowls. This will be my 6th.

Not happy with bowl positioning but probably got what we deserved. Ecstatic, however, that my trip to the game is under 10 minutes. Will buy premium tix, parking, and tailgate.

Paying the dough to see my Gophs.
My son and I are in! We’re excited!

My wife & I are flying down on Sunday on SC. The rates weren't great, but used points for the downtown room, so lessened the blow. We have been to Outback, Citrus & now Guaranteed Rate. We had a blast at the last bowl games and we enjoy Gopher football, so rationalized the cost.

Just looked at Marriott's website and the Sheraton downtown has rates starting at $156 and at the Renaissance (athletic Dept. travel package hotel) for $172. Can stay downtown as low as $152 (Courtyard) or near the airport if you Uber to the game for $99 (Aloft).

We used points for our stay, but looks like you can get hotels somewhat reasonably. I was able to rent the car through our work contract so while not cheap it's manageable for 5 days ($250 for full size).

I just found a third party flight deal, non-stop, two tickets for $619 12/26 through 12/30 late afternoon flights, and will probably grab them if I can get confirmation from traveler#2 on this whole deal. This one will probably be gone when I go back in later.

The Vivid seat tickets were not terrible for what would be good baseball seats on the upper third base line, for me the question is whether or not we can move freely around the stadium and squat in better areas, as there will be plenty of open seats regardless of what the official sales counts may be.

As JWG noted above, the downtown 3.5 to 4 star hotel deals are pretty decent right now. I saw some on Priceline express for as low as $125- Hyatt, Marriott convention hotels near stadium.

The good thing about this possible deal is i can ditch the rental car and just pay for transport in and out from the airport- probably Mesa.

Scottsdale resident here, I was looking forward to going to the game, unfortunately I have picked up a breakthrough case of Covid and won’t be able to attend. On the bright side, it seems to be a mild case of Covid. Bring your masks.

Scottsdale resident here, I was looking forward to going to the game, unfortunately I have picked up a breakthrough case of Covid and won’t be able to attend. On the bright side, it seems to be a mild case of Covid. Bring your masks.
W
I just found a third party flight deal, non-stop, two tickets for $619 12/26 through 12/30 late afternoon flights, and will probably grab them if I can get confirmation from traveler#2 on this whole deal. This one will probably be gone when I go back in later.

The Vivid seat tickets were not terrible for what would be good baseball seats on the upper third base line, for me the question is whether or not we can move freely around the stadium and squat in better areas, as there will be plenty of open seats regardless of what the official sales counts may be.

As JWG noted above, the downtown 3.5 to 4 star hotel deals are pretty decent right now. I saw some on Priceline express for as low as $125- Hyatt, Marriott convention hotels near stadium.

The good thing about this possible deal is i can ditch the rental car and just pay for transport in and out from the airport- probably Mesa.
Well, I lost my nerve and did not book that $300 plus = $619 for two trip on Sun Country to the Mesa/PHX airport, leaving Sunday.

Oddly enough that deal was nowhere to be found on the Sun Country site, but on Travelocity, using the flexible dates option it was there.

What broke the deal for me was If I am going to spend even $600 plus 600 hotel rates to travel to the alleged
"sun" it better be warm. It will be 75 degrees in Nashville(rain possible an not usual for TN in December) on Tuesday and barely 60 all week in PHX. Barely 60 degrees in Arizona worked for me in that past but not this year.

Maybe I'l still hold out for a deal early in the day on 12/28 but I cannot sell 50-60 degree weather for the plus one for a warm weather escape, so I'll be on my own if I find a way.

Latest gameday forecast for Phoenix: 55 and showers.

No idea how warm the stadium will be with no heat. The forecast low the night before is 46. Great football weather, but may be chillier in the stadium than some fans expect. Rain won't be an issue with the roof. Meanwhile, it will be -9 here Thursday morning!

From the bowl game website:

ROOF
The roof will be closed for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl game except during opening ceremonies from 7:45pm – 8:15pm. Please keep in mind that while Chase Field has a roof, it does not have heat. Therefore, temperatures inside the stadium may be cooler than expected. There is a no re-entry policy in effect, so plan ahead before entering the game.

Serious advice for Minnesota travelers:

Wearing a windbreaker or sweatshirt will be plenty fine. There will be 5mph wind outside the venue. The walk between parking, pregame, and stadium are 5 minutes.

If ya overdress you gotta carry it!

Headed to Phoenix tomorrow night with my wife and son for the bowl game and to see our daughter in the clarinet section of the Pride of MN. Hoping for a good football game and 9th win for the season, on top of what we know will be an awesome pregame and halftime performance -- because regardless of the football team's play, our MN band always wins!

Top Bottom