Who’s going Bowling on December 28th?

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
We’ve heard from many that are not going. Who’s going and what’s your story?

I’ve been in Phoenix since 2013. One of the few and hardy fans that drove to San Diego to see the Gophs beat WSU. Actually drove to Las Cruces and saw Aggievision live.

Been to Music City, Holiday, Insight, Texas, Citrus Bowls. This will be my 6th.

Not happy with bowl positioning but probably got what we deserved. Ecstatic, however, that my trip to the game is under 10 minutes. Will buy premium tix, parking, and tailgate.

Paying the dough to see my Gophs.

Going with a group of 9. Staying with friends in Green Valley, AZ. Can't wait. Last bowl game we went to was the Citrus Bowl where we lost to Mizzou, but had a great time with all the festivities. I always told friends that we will know when we've hit the big time when we finally get to a bowl game that has a parade. We had tears in our eyes watching the U of M Band in the Citris Bowl Parade that year.

Going with a group of 9. Staying with friends in Green Valley, AZ. Can't wait. Last bowl game we went to was the Citrus Bowl where we lost to Mizzou, but had a great time with all the festivities. I always told friends that we will know when we've hit the big time when we finally get to a bowl game that has a parade. We had tears in our eyes watching the U of M Band in the Citris Bowl Parade that year.

The Outback Bowl parade in Ybor City was and is an awesome time too!

We are taking a free charter/hotel through Caesars Air to Laughlin Dec 26-30 and driving down on Tues, got a hotel to stay the night and drive back to Laughlin Wed. Also got tickets for the Gophers tailgate, anyone else going to that?

We recently moved to Phoenix, very pumped Gophers are in a bowl in our new backyard so quickly after moving here!

Go Gophers!!
Congrats on the good fortune! I'm in a similar boat but was hoping the Gophers would get sent to the Grapefruit League instead of the Cactus League. Stupid Penn State and their losing Big Ten record getting Outback

We recently moved to Phoenix, very pumped Gophers are in a bowl in our new backyard so quickly after moving here!

Go Gophers!!
I had you as a lifelong Minnesotan! What in the world happen?

I would be going... But I decided goats ,rabbits, and some ducks were must haves so I'm building pens....

Go Gophers!!
Bleed, I've been in Phoenix for a number of years. I've always admired your dedication to all that's Minnesota Gopher sports. If you ever want to meet for a coffee you can contact me through this forum.

Always have enjoyed the PHX area. Couldn't make the date and $$ work so I'm couch bound in front of the flat screen.

Would if it was reasonable. Too expensive and not appealing.

Will be there! Lady friend and I are flying into Vegas on Monday night. Staying Monday in Laughlin, Tuesday downtown PHX, and Wednesday in Kingman, AZ.

This will be my 4th bowl game- did Music City (2005) as well as the Citrus and Outback.

We’ll be there. Airfare was ridiculous but my brother-in-law has a place in Goodyear, AZ. So that helped reduce the pain a bit. I’ve always wanted to go to a Gopher bowl game. Figured this was a great opportunity to do it.

Also have a sister-in-law near Tampa, so was watching the Gophers Florida bowl possibilities as well.

Yes. Flying into Vegas and driving down. Looking forward to my 2nd bowl game (did Outback 2019) and first with my family. Was just in Phoenix for work back in September so it was a nice destination preview.I

I did the LAS to PHX drive in 2006 and was hoping to make work it again this year, worst case, with a Sedona stopover one night. (check out Oak Creek Canyon)

The rental car rates are still garbage, so I am hoping for a flight to PHX mid day at the last minute on the 28th, or a very early flight to LAS and I'll pay 100 plus for a car.

The Phoenix hotel rates are not anything to write home about either. Back in 2006 I stayed at the Grand Hyatt/ Gainey Ranch resort for under $100 a night even though Boise State fans had taken over the city. This year the rate was $600 a night. So much for the "off season" in AZ.

What the hell, there is only one more game this year so I am going to get motivated at the last minute. I got it down to $400 a ticket a few nights ago, but just could not pull the trigger for more than 2x days.

Last edited:

Here is on more motivating video, for me mainly notable for the site the band is at.

Well, it was in 2006, OK I know.
Response to USAF:

Old pal USAF said: This is not the off season in Phoenix.

My reply based on old data:

It was pretty damn cheap to stay there in 2006 for the infamous Insight Bowl vs. Tx. Tech.

The weather in 2006 was not all that special, low 60s and not much better than Nashville or El Paso to me at least, still better I admit.

For me the "off" season in PHX is July through October, and I am not sure what what the "high season" is, but My guess it is late January through May. I know I went to wedding there in 1992 and paid nothing to stay in a giant resort in October. Cheaper than the dumpiest hotel in Mankato.

Last edited:

I had you as a lifelong Minnesotan! What in the world happen?

Lifelong Minnesotan in my heart and forever a die-hard MN sports fan, but a new career opportunity and a family life adventure presented itself. So far we love it.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom