Which unit has exceeded your expectations?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I admit at 8-2, our football team has already surpassed my 7 win prediction. There has been some good play, and some units have performed better than I had expected.

I didn't expect much out of our linebacking group. While there is a lot of room for improvement, they've been better than I expected. I thought our running backs would be okay, but Cobb was nowhere on my radar. I was hopeful for the wide receivers, but didn't expect much. They've picked it up nicely, and there is hope for the future. I expected both lines to be decent, and I think that's what they've been.
I could say the same for the defensive backfield. Our quarterback play has been better than what I expected too.

Far and away, the group that has exceeded expectations is KICKING. I can't say they've won games for us, but I know they've not lost any games. Hawthorne has been solid, and his kickoffs have been outstanding. Mortell has been lights out. It's so nice to have the punting unit trot out on the field and having the feeling that this will just be a mundane play. That hasn't happened in years. Good stuff.

Special teams, and surprisingly the Gophers are developing a much more balanced attack. I had written off the receiving corps after the Iowa and Michigan games.

Surprise surprise! They opened up the play book with a fun relaxed game plan (both in Offense and Defense) with improved clock eating offense. They are no longer uni-dimensional. The players are having the most fun ever. They are keeping the Defense more rested which in turn won us a couple of games.

The last four games is a testament to Kill's system showing signs it is beginning to work. The players are "getting it". The Gophers are developing an identity. The Gophers put a capital T in team play. They flexed and bend, but don't break. The next two games will punch their final grades in this seasons report card.

We know they have a passing grade. Now, we need to know if they can elevate that to much higher grade.

The Gopher fan base has exceeded my expectations. The gloom, doom and negativity after the Iowa loss has been diluted with optimism.

It's the special teams as a whole for me. The punter's been great, the kicker has gotten better. Kick coverage has been much better, as has punt coverage. Even though he lost the job, Marcus Jones was the first Gopher to return a punt for a TD since Luke Leverson.

Libebacker! We started the season with our best returning player a former walk-on in Aaron Hill, a veteran who'd never done much in James Manuel, a R-Fr who'd never really played In Jack Lynn, a new Juco, Damien Wilson in the middle and a skinny but talented, Juco project in De'Vondre Campbell. On paper this was the biggest weakness of our Defense.

As it's turned out Hill is playing well as expected, but Wilson has been so good that Lynn has barely seen the field, Manuel has played very well & Campbell has played great against certain types of teams (i.e. non power teams). This group is much better than I'd expected.

I knew that Kirkwood would be a 1000 yard rusher, Hageman would lead the team in sacks, Santoso would be an excellent kicker, the team would be 6-6 at the end of the regular season and would win their bowl game. I also expected Edwards would be lights out. Nelson would be great.

What surprised me? Special teams…the coverage and the punting and kicking. We've had b1G POTW from the special teams. Also Leidner was B1G POTW (not Nelson). Depth has surprised me…just how much of it we have and what a difference it makes. Coaching has surprised me. I loved Kill before but now I love all the coaches and feel confident they can out-coach anyone. The LBs surprised me as did the offensive line has done great. Maxx has surprised me too. I thought he would be good, but WOW. The APR surprised me. To improve that quickly is fantastic. I expected Minnesota to be better, but the speed of the improvement has made me giddy.

I knew that Kirkwood would be a 1000 yard rusher, Hageman would lead the team in sacks, Santoso would be an excellent kicker, the team would be 6-6 at the end of the regular season and would win their bowl game. I also expected Edwards would be lights out. Nelson would be great.

What surprised me? Special teams…the coverage and the punting and kicking. We've had b1G POTW from the special teams. Also Leidner was B1G POTW (not Nelson). Depth has surprised me…just how much of it we have and what a difference it makes. Coaching has surprised me. I loved Kill before but now I love all the coaches and feel confident they can out-coach anyone. The LBs surprised me as did the offensive line has done great. Maxx has surprised me too. I thought he would be good, but WOW. The APR surprised me. To improve that quickly is fantastic. I expected Minnesota to be better, but the speed of the improvement has made me giddy.

+1

Top Bottom