Which SRs on the roster now are making an impact

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
I know this season has been awesome so far, and just for fun I was looking ahead to next year as what we will be losing...

What SRs productivity will be missed next year?

So far I have

Hageman
Engel
A. Hill
One of the Olson's
Manuel
Hawthorne
Vereen
Henry

Any others that play a key role this year?

Yes, Jake Filkin's, long-snapper from Prescott, WI.

I can't remember when he has made a bad snap during a punt. Maybe never.

Goodger & Johnson on a regular basis and Logan Hutton has made some big plays this Fall.

Yes, Jake Filkin's, long-snapper from Prescott, WI.

I can't remember when he has made a bad snap during a punt. Maybe never.

Goodger & Johnson on a regular basis and Logan Hutton has made some big plays this Fall.

I'm seeing Goodger listed as a JR?

Thanks Miles. I am glad he will be back next season.

Add in Hawthorne who has been very good on KO's all year long and has stepped it up the last 4 games. Shabazz has been out there a lot as well.

You look into what we will be losing next year "just for fun"???

I would rather think about all the one's coming back. Go Gophers.

Not as much as most of the players you have on your list but Roland Johnson, Martez Shabazz, and Jeremy Baltazar have all had a meaningful impact.

Enjoy the moment as Coach Kill keeps on reminding the players and fans. I'm sure the Sr.'s are pumped.

Our Sr.'s are a huge part of this team and need to be recognized for their perserverance, hard work and leadership. No way would we be where we are without them.

Clearly we'll have some holes to fill on defense next year. The offense will basically be the same.

Clearly we'll have some holes to fill on defense next year. The offense will basically be the same.
Having Wilson locked down at MLB will help. Campbell will have to put on some weight, not sure who'll take over for Hill. Vereen's the tough one for me. Not just as an anchor back in the secondary, but as a leader as well. If Wells can get back to 100% healthy and BBC is able to rehab, that'll help.

Christian Russell sounds like a guy who could start right away at linebacker if we're able to get a commitment from him.

Definitely going to miss quite a few of these guys. Some would say Hageman...but i'm gonna make
the argument that we'll miss Engel the most. Hopefully Wolitarsky fills his void well, they play very
similar, the guy that can just find open space with good hands and body control. Donovan Jones
will be very good but he's so raw.

I think the reason this team has gotten on a roll is this senior class. There are a lot of key players in that group, 10 for sure making significant contributions. This team may be young, and the program is young in terms of development, but those men have been around the B1G block and they're also the reason we have a chance to whip wisc and spank sparty.

We've got very good Sr. leadership,particularly on the defensive side. The sign of a really well coached team is how well prepared are the backups to step in in the case of an injury or graduation. I think next spring will see a very nice transition.

Having Wilson locked down at MLB will help. Campbell will have to put on some weight, not sure who'll take over for Hill. Vereen's the tough one for me. Not just as an anchor back in the secondary, but as a leader as well. If Wells can get back to 100% healthy and BBC is able to rehab, that'll help.

Not to say you shouldn't be concerned, just wanted to lend some insight on LB & DB:

I was the first to point out that Campbell is a situational player at this point due to his slight frame, but I do think by this time next year he'll have beefed up enough to play more regularly. That said, De'Niro Laster is a 6'4", 230lbs Freshman who was very good in Fall practice & almost certain to play before tweaking his knee. He'll contribute. We're leading for a very good Juco LB named Christian Russell & he goes 6'1", 245lbs. Cross your fingers that we get this guy, he's a load! Also Jack Lynn will be in his 3rd year & will be getting game reps as he prepares to takeover MLB when Wilson graduates. Ray Dixon is another youngster who could help. He's red shirting this year but had offers from WVU, Miss St, Purdue & Wake Forrest.

Losing Vereen's versatility & leadership will hurt but Well's is the main man in our secondary. Wells should be back at 100% for next season along with Murray & Myrick. That's a strong 1-2-3 to start the season. BBC is likely close to 100% by next season's start & 100% by B1G season (according to a recent update on GI.com). That's 4 deep because Myrick has played some at CB & looked decent. He'll be a star for us down the road imo. We're likely to add a Juco in here as well as a couple Freshman. We're on a tall kid from Alabama who I like & I wouldn't be shocked to see recruit Dimonic McKinzy head to CB as well. At safety we return Cedric Thompson, who's actually lost time to Antonio Johnson & Damarius Travis, so we're 3 deep there + word is that Delatavious McGhee is very, very good. Coaches mentioned him having NFL talent!

Good group of seniors (although not a lot of them). We are going to miss Hageman and Vereen a ton. Engel will be missed as well, but I think Wolitarsky and Jones can step in at WR fairly seamlessly.

Hageman is a load and is taking up two blockers on almost every play. He is a player that the opposition plans its offense around (as in avoiding him). Vereen is simply a very good football player. He's been able to move back and forth as needed in the defensive backfield (although he's a much better S than CB) and as an earlier poster pointed out, he's a great leader. If he ever develops the talent for finding the ball while it's in the air, he could be playing on Sundays for a long time. I just think he's that good.

Hill, Engel, and Hageman will be missed the most. we have played so many DB's that I don't worry about them. DL is my biggest worry for next year.

Good group of seniors (although not a lot of them). We are going to miss Hageman and Vereen a ton. Engel will be missed as well, but I think Wolitarsky and Jones can step in at WR fairly seamlessly.

Hageman is a load and is taking up two blockers on almost every play. He is a player that the opposition plans its offense around (as in avoiding him). Vereen is simply a very good football player. He's been able to move back and forth as needed in the defensive backfield (although he's a much better S than CB) and as an earlier poster pointed out, he's a great leader. If he ever develops the talent for finding the ball while it's in the air, he could be playing on Sundays for a long time. I just think he's that good.

Offensively there isn't much to worry about in terms of losing guys because while Engel has been solid he isn't a massive upgrade over the other receivers on the roster.

Defensively however there is some reason for concern especially along the DL. There will be quite a bit of returning experience on the ends but up the middle is a different story. Having a dominant defensive tackle like Shede is a massive boost to the defense, tackles don't always rack up a ton of stats but a disruptive tackle opens things up for the ends and the LB's and Shede has been that force most of the year. Also the job Vereen is doing in the secondary has been huge, sliding from safety to corner and locking down his guy for the most part.

In the secondary a lot will be riding on BBC and Wells being healthy and playing the way they are capable of. Wells has been MIA for the most part this season after looking like a key part of the defense last season. BBC is a major question mark, guys recover from massive injuries like that these days but it is no guarantee he will ever be the same again.

It is always a big day for the seniors to run the gauntlet on Senior Day. This year against Wisconsin. That ought to jack some hype numbers. You will notice that there will be 10-12 seniors introduced. They could be from two recruiting classes with Red Shirting. I always think back on those who came with such bally ho, and those who made it from under the radar. I think of what could have been. Injuries and players forced to give up the game. Those who just quit, couldn't cut it, those who walked away. When you look at a recruiting class of say 20 each of the two years and only 10-12 made it, stuck with it through the losses, built something, turned a program around. If you are not on your feet applauding these seniors there is something wrong, with you.

It is always a big day for the seniors to run the gauntlet on Senior Day. This year against Wisconsin. That ought to jack some hype numbers. You will notice that there will be 10-12 seniors introduced. They could be from two recruiting classes with Red Shirting. I always think back on those who came with such bally ho, and those who made it from under the radar. I think of what could have been. Injuries and players forced to give up the game. Those who just quit, couldn't cut it, those who walked away. When you look at a recruiting class of say 20 each of the two years and only 10-12 made it, stuck with it through the losses, built something, turned a program around. If you are not on your feet applauding these seniors there is something wrong, with you.

They can come from more than two classes due to medical redshirts (don't think we have any in this year's group) or JUCO transfers too.

I believe Filkins also downed one of the two punts at the one yard line Sat, which is unbelievable to me.

Top Bottom