Which Players Would be Likely to Leave if Tubby is Fired?

I think the fairer question would be, "who will leave if he stays?" I think Andre is a potential leave if he stays, as well as Ellenson. No one else would leave, but Mav, Mo and Oto would be allowed to shine at lower levels. None is a BT calibre player.

I don't see Ellenson leaving. He would have to sit out a year, and unless his mentality has changed, that's something he doesn't want to do. I would also be surprised if Andre left.

I think the fairer question would be, "who will leave if he stays?" I think Andre is a potential leave if he stays, as well as Ellenson. No one else would leave, but Mav, Mo and Oto would be allowed to shine at lower levels. None is a BT calibre player.

Mo Walker is absolutely a big 10 player. He was a rivals too 150 recruit. He does need to get in shape to be effective though.

Mo Walker is absolutely a big 10 player. He was a rivals too 150 recruit. He does need to get in shape to be effective though.

This is not on topic, but I'm going to keep expecting big things of Big Mo next year and beyond. There's a good player in there somewhere (and no jokes about Mo having eaten him).

This is not on topic, but I'm going to keep expecting big things of Big Mo next year and beyond. There's a good player in there somewhere (and no jokes about Mo having eaten him).

Lol agree. I still think he can be a good player for us. He has the skills. Just needs to be able to move better. Hope he works hard on that this offseason.

I agree. What players come or go is irrelevant. Improvement in any program will not come without the right coach.

I always hope for the best for my Gophers, but I have to admit that one of the reasons I hope we go on a run to the Elite 8 or FF, is so that Tubby has an excuse to retire. On Top.

Then I like the idea of Flip, or a guy like Flip, coming in. A guy who as PROVEN at different levels, college, CBA and NBA, that he can win. And I also think its important to realize a guy like Flip is getting older, and to bring in an on fire young coach as an asst, who could be groomed to take over for Flip 4-8 years down the road. I think this is a much safer route, than gambling on a guy like Shaka Smart. Flip has the name recognition to make an instant impact, and bringing in his replacement as an asst could make any transition much more fluid.

If there is a coaching change, whether by way of retirement or the other way, my #1 priority would be getting someone young and hungry. I like Flip, love listening to him on Dan Barreiero's show, but not sold that's the way to go.

Not necessarily sold on Shaka, either, but if not him someone like him, someone young & hungry and wanting to make a name for himself.

Assistants are part of the problem...JMO

Tubby's assistants are all pretty much over the hill (Saul just went around the hill) so I think that is really a problem for our Gophers. Jursa has failed everywhere, Taylor was suppose to be the guy but if he was he wouldn't still be here. Espisito is Espisito and Saul is...well Tubby's kid.

My point is that I highly doubt Flip would surround himself with compacent past their prime assistants. I think he would have eager go getters that would keep our program fresh. Quality recruiters. Flip has the name recogntion and the know how to be a very successful college coach. He would be willing to go afte the 4 or 5 star guys while his assistants did the leg work on the rest.

Saying Flip hasnt the desire to do the things necesary to bring a winner to Minnesota is just like saying Coach Petino or Coach K have not got the desire anymore because they have a lot of money and are old.

Everyone who thinks Flip has a shot at the job has not done their research on Norwood Teague. We aren't talking about Joel Maturi here, Teague is not going to sign a coach because he is a big name. Teague will use his Villa 7 connections to find a young up and comer. With the only exception being Shaka Smart just because they have worked well together, but I put that at less than 1% chance of happening if the job even opens up.

sec105
Tubby's assistants are all pretty much over the hill (Saul just went around the hill) so I think that is really a problem for our Gophers. Jursa has failed everywhere, Taylor was suppose to be the guy but if he was he wouldn't still be here. Espisito is Espisito and Saul is...well Tubby's kid.

My point is that I highly doubt Flip would surround himself with compacent past their prime assistants. I think he would have eager go getters that would keep our program fresh. Quality recruiters. Flip has the name recogntion and the know how to be a very successful college coach. He would be willing to go afte the 4 or 5 star guys while his assistants did the leg work on the rest.

Saying Flip hasnt the desire to do the things necesary to bring a winner to Minnesota is just like saying Coach Petino or Coach K have not got the desire anymore because they have a lot of money and are old.
MadtownGopher
Everyone who thinks Flip has a shot at the job has not done their research on Norwood Teague. We aren't talking about Joel Maturi here, Teague is not going to sign a coach because he is a big name. Teague will use his Villa 7 connections to find a young up and comer. With the only exception being Shaka Smart just because they have worked well together, but I put that at less than 1% chance of happening if the job even opens up.

Nevermind :(

Top Bottom