Which players will take the biggest step in 2020?

Crosby

Reaction score
I apologize if there is a thread on this already. Curious to know... which 2-3 players do you look for to take the biggest step forward next season? My choices:

1) Mo Ibrahim. I thought he was actually our best back for the 2019 season. Behind a very good, big, improving offensive line, I think he is going to put up some monster stats next year.

2) Chris Autman Bell. A very good receiver, he will step ably into the role of the #2 receiving threat next to Bateman. He can't help but have a big year, especially if the running game is as good as I think it will be.

I apologize if there is a thread on this already. Curious to know... which 2-3 players do you look for to take the biggest step forward next season? My choices:

1) Mo Ibrahim. I thought he was actually our best back for the 2019 season. Behind a very good, big, improving offensive line, I think he is going to put up some monster stats next year.

2) Chris Autman Bell. A very good receiver, he will step ably into the role of the #2 receiving threat next to Bateman. He can't help but have a big year, especially if the running game is as good as I think it will be.

These 2 will most likely have the biggest stat increases, though I’d argue they’ve both already shown they are good or even great players and the stat increases will be more a function of repetitions.

For players showing improvement (which may or may not show up in stat lines), I’ve got Bryce Williams and Rashad Cheney! If our line keeps opening up holes like they did in that Auburn game... Bryce’s speed will be lethal. I also think he’ll be highly motivated given that he had to kind of take a back seat last year. With Cheney playing inside, I think it took some time to get physically ready to play in the B1G, but my recollection was that he had a higher projected ceiling than almost any DT in his class (though he was less polished coming out of HS than some of the other 4/5 star players.

I think the entire D-Line unit takes a big step. I'm sure at least one RB takes a big step behind Mo, it will be interesting to see which one.

Post of the Day!!
I am hoping Oliver and any of the d-lineman.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what Jason Williamson can show.

If we have a year for the ages or like this year, it will be because one of our d-lineman ended up taking a leap. I know there is the athletic talent to make some noise on the d-line, but not sure which one is most primed to take a huge leap (especially those who redshirted last year).

I'd be surprised if he sees more than a handful of plays this year.

What little I saw of him playing high school ball I did not think he had RB burst, he seemed more the LB type. IMHO.

Considering Ky Thomas enrolled early, I’m hoping he’ll be ready to step up. I did not like what I saw from Bryce W. in the GSU game. I’m mostly concerned about the missed blocking assignments. He looked lost.....like he wasn’t prepared to play. Almost got Morgan killed.

Considering Ky Thomas enrolled early, I’m hoping he’ll be ready to step up. I did not like what I saw from Bryce W. in the GSU game. I’m mostly concerned about the missed blocking assignments. He looked lost.....like he wasn’t prepared to play. Almost got Morgan killed.

He also was stuffed on 4th down when there was room to run to his left to easily pick up the first.....

I'm going to need some inseam measurements to know the answer to this one.

Given the number of new starters on defense I think it is safe to say the biggest steps for any one player will most likely come from that side of the ball.

I am hoping for big things out of the DE position with Mafe and Otomewo. Hopefully one or both of them really bursts onto the scene and provides up with a legit pass rush from the outside. Need more out of the D-Line across the board but would love to see us finally have a legit pass rushing threat at end as opposed to relying on undersized guys playing out of position the way CC did.

My 3 picks on defense would be: DL Otomewo and Mafe, and the linebacker Braelen Oliver.
I think the offense is mostly set.

I think Mo is going to have a huge year. The running game should be even better and that will allow for big plays in the passing game. Offense should continue to be high octane going forward.

Interesting that I've seen freshman Douglas Emilien get some print as a potential early contributor. He is not an early enrollee, so he will need to pick things up quickly.

Spann-Ford is someone I think will be a target to fill the spot of Johnson in the passing game as well.

I think Faalele will have a break out year. He's on a steep learning curve. I know we are expecting an entire line returning to be pretty good, but if our line starts next year where we finished last year and gets even better I don't think we will struggle with our non conference opponents like last year.

I think Faalele will have a break out year. He's on a steep learning curve. I know we are expecting an entire line returning to be pretty good, but if our line starts next year where we finished last year and gets even better I don't think we will struggle with our non conference opponents like last year.

Agree that the line should hit the ground running much more quickly in 2020. They had the entire season to build chemistry and work together, that is one of those things that can't be rushed with an offensive line.

We were right around the middle of the conference in terms of sacks allowed in 2019. I would anticipate that creeping up into the top 1/3rd of the conference next season. As long as those guys give Morgan time to work the offense should continue to be deadly and probably even improve on what they did in 2019.

Top Bottom