Which players benefit most from the new schemes?

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
We have a new coaching staff that brings new offensive and defensive schemes with them. Which players do you all think will fit the new schemes appreciably better and therefore possibly contribute more next season? Here are a couple off the top of my head:

- M. Gray -- I think this one is somewhat obvious, but an offense that keeps the D honest with more QB running fits very well with MarQueis' skills. He still has to prove that he can make the big throw under pressure, but the new offense should give him the platform to succeed...if he's capable.

- M. Carter -- Cosgrove's D had the CBs playing soft and lots of zone. I think Carter's best skill is as a cover corner and he didn't look terribly comfortable in a soft zone. From what we've heard, they will put the CBs on an island more and that should fit Carter better.

Have at...

I think the quarterbacks will benefit the most from Kill's system. I say quarterbacks rather than just MG because it is not a 100% certainty that MG will win the job or keep it.

Even if MG isn't the starter--although I think he will be and might be perfect for Kill's offense--I can see him playing a lot at quarterback on a rotating basis. Also, I think the running backs will benefit a lot as the offensive line matures and the multiple sets confuse defenses.

People may think Iowa fans are in love with Kirk Ferentz. Although this is mostly true, many are getting more than a little tired with how predictable his offensive and defensive schemes have become. Kill's approaches on both sides of the ball might open more than a few eyes in Iowa City.

I think it will be the RB's. Kill answered Joe Schmit's question about RB by committee, that we could see 3 RB's in the game at one time. Using them in the slot and motioning them around. Sounds like he likes their abilities.

I think the most surprising player who will immedietly improve next season is DL Wilhite. He is the precise kind of DE that Jerry Kill likes (fast, up field) and the way the Northern Illinois used their DEs last season and Kill has talked about using them this season is essentially to just let them sit on the end of the line and fire up the field and that plays exactly into what Wilhite does well. I remember hearing Kill say something about them not really doing a ton with their Dline and just letting them play (simplifying it compared to last season).

I think the change in pass rush philosophy will benefit the defensive ends. If I were a starting defensive end, I would be worried about my job right now.

Boy, you can never be too deep at running back. Iowa's lost an average of three running backs per year to injury over the past few seasons. In each year, they've lost at least one for the season. Also, think about the number of running backs Wisonsin uses each game.

Even if MG isn't the starter--although I think he will be and might be perfect for Kill's offense--I can see him playing a lot at quarterback on a rotating basis.

Has that been Kill's offensive style though? I'm asking b/c I'm not sure. If it hasn't been part of the system to implement platoon QB's then I wouldn't expect it now.

Has that been Kill's offensive style though? I'm asking b/c I'm not sure. If it hasn't been part of the system to implement platoon QB's then I wouldn't expect it now.

Yeah, he's done it before but not like Spurrier where it was alternating plays or anything like that. He did it a bit in 2009 with Grady and Harnish and he did it some in 2008.

Yeah, he's done it before but not like Spurrier where it was alternating plays or anything like that. He did it a bit in 2009 with Grady and Harnish and he did it some in 2008.

Thanks Bob. :)

Top Bottom