Which Juco didn't qualify?

I believe both Herschel Thornton and Dwight Tillman from Lackawanna didn't qualify.

The issue was that they had used up their D1 eligibility. I believe they qualified academically.

Huh? I'm going to need some clarification on this one. Why would Brewster recruit players with no eligibility left?

This was posted back in May I believe.

per Monter:

Herschel Thornton, a safety and Dwight Tillman, a cornerback, both from Lackawanna (PA) CC, will not be part of the Minnesota football team this fall, The two junior college transfers signed with the Gophers in February and planned to enroll this summer with the hopes of earning a starting spots this fall. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Thornton to learn about the latest on his situation.

Herschel Thornton and Dwight Tillman helped lead Lackawanna to a 5-4 mark last season. They were expected to play with former college teammate Jeff Wills, who started at right tackle and tight end Tiree Eure, who inked with the Gophers in December.

Thornton was on campus Saturday, but received word Monday that he and Tillman will not be part of the Minnesota football team this season and the two left the school.

Thornton said that the two will not be able to become eligible at Minnesota or any Division I school.

“We can’t. We are ineligible. We have to go Division II.”

Thornton and Tillman had both told GoldenSports.Net during the spring game that they were looking forward to arriving at Minnesota and competing for playing time. He said that the news of his ineligibility caught him off-guard.

“Basically, it was totally out of the blue.”

Thornton said that he took classes at Montgomery Community College in the fall of 2006, which started his athletic clock.

“I am pretty much talking to my junior college coach (Mark Duda) try to get him to contact some schools.”

I don't like the idea of an athletic clock. Why should someone be penalized because they took some classes? Isn't that what college is all about, taking classes? If someone took some classes, went into the military, and then got out, would their clock have run out? Punishing people for having taken classes seens counter-intuitive for an academic institution.

It's OK at D-II, but not at D-I? Is it bad to take classes at D-I, but not at D-II? Just about everything is waiverable by the NCAA, it seems very chaotic how they decide who gets a waiver and who does not.

I don't like the idea of an athletic clock. Why should someone be penalized because they took some classes? Isn't that what college is all about, taking classes? If someone took some classes, went into the military, and then got out, would their clock have run out? Punishing people for having taken classes seens counter-intuitive for an academic institution.

It's OK at D-II, but not at D-I? Is it bad to take classes at D-I, but not at D-II? Just about everything is waiverable by the NCAA, it seems very chaotic how they decide who gets a waiver and who does not.

I agree... It doesn't make sense to me that they would be penalized this severely for merely taking classes at a community college.

And college isn't just for people 18-22. There are a lot of people over that age attending college. I'm in my 40's, if I had the ability to play D-I football now, why shouldn't I? (Leaving aside the fact that I wouldn't have even made a D-III team as a backup at 18!) Sure, I already have a degree, but if I had the ability to play, I'd take a scholarship and get some free grad school.

Once you enroll in school, whether a junior college or 4-year, you athletic clock starts. The exception being taking college courses prior to graduating high school. Once the clock starts, at the division 1 level, you have 5 years to complete 4 seasons of competition. I am not totally certain how it works but I think the "clock" stops for military service, similar to going on a mission that some Morman athletes do. The rule is more relaxed at the DII level and even more so at the DIII level, although I am not sure how each of those work.

I recognize that the clock starts when you take classes, I just don't think it should. I think there is too little grounds for the clock in the first place for the NCAA to start picking and choosing whose reasons are acceptable.

Once you enroll in school, whether a junior college or 4-year, you athletic clock starts. The exception being taking college courses prior to graduating high school. Once the clock starts, at the division 1 level, you have 5 years to complete 4 seasons of competition. I am not totally certain how it works but I think the "clock" stops for military service, similar to going on a mission that some Morman athletes do. The rule is more relaxed at the DII level and even more so at the DIII level, although I am not sure how each of those work.

That rule makes no sense. What is the purpose, anybody know.

Right on. As I understand it at D2 and D3, if you stop taking classes, your clock stops. That is not that case in D1.

The purpose is to prevent schools from bulking kids for two to three years and having in essence 7 and 8 year seniors. Imagine how some of them south schools would abuse that. But I agree, it pretty much sucks.

still on roster

They are both still on the roster and, as I recall, they still may be able to play. The U is looking for clarification on this. Until they're off the roster, consider them possibilities.

The purpose is to prevent schools from bulking kids for two to three years and having in essence 7 and 8 year seniors. Imagine how some of them south schools would abuse that. But I agree, it pretty much sucks.

There has to be better ways of fixing this. What if your they had a scholarship clock, but not a elligibility clock. To prevent teams from bulking up kids for multiple years, perhaps a clock could start when a player works out with a team? So you could have one redshirt year where you can work out or practice with the team, but past that, you use up a year of elligibility if you practice or work out with the team. Just taking classes should not start any clock. Classes are GOOD, in theory, it's what the players are there for.

And just about anything is waiverable by the NCAA, they are very inconsistent about what they will grant waivers.

I believe the "clock" can start before you graduate from high school also. One of my track teammates took pseo classes (i don't know what pseo stands for but basically you get free college credit by taking classes at a nearby community college while still enrolled in high school) and lost 2 years of eligibility. He started taking these pseo classes when he was a junior and took them as a senior too. So he lost 2 years of eligibility. He went d3 and started as a junior even though he was only 18 or 19, so I think your clock can start even if you haven't graduated from high school. I mean my gosh why would an 18 year old have to start in track at a small liberal arts college as a junior when it's only his first year. This rule bothers me.

Top Bottom