Which is most important to you, personally?

Which of these is most important to you, Gopher fans?

— Going to the Rose Bowl

— Going to the CFP

— Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season
I honestly DON’T believe that there could be a good chance of going to the Rose Bowl without defeating both Iowa & Wisconsin in the same season unless for some reason the schedule makers omitted one or those stinking border battle schools from the Gopher schedule. That is not likely to happen with all three schools being members of the same conference division.

The same is possibly true for wisky & herky fans. Beat both Iowa & Wisconsin in the same season and anything/everything is possible for our Gopher team!!!

Thank-you SO SO much for posting that. So sorry to hear about Bob39. I knew Bob39 battled cancer in the past. Hello imthewalrus if you are out there.
Hello to you too Go for Gold. I also had the pleasure and honor to meet and have a nice long discussion with Bob39. He was a wonderful Gopher fan. Saw him at a: “…Sota Social…” in the McNamara building. The event was a”signing day event” in February. MASE was still the coach. Getting so old, I honestly don’t recall the year.

Have you always been known as GoForGold? I’ve had the chance to meet an awful lot of GH-ers. Over the decades. Many times at BT road games or bowl games. Keep posting and keep cheering our Gopher Teams on.

Beat the stinking Illini on Gopher!

Hello to you too Go for Gold. I also had the pleasure and honor to meet and have a nice long discussion with Bob39. He was a wonderful Gopher fan. Saw him at a: “…Sota Social…” in the McNamara building. The event was a”signing day event” in February. MASE was still the coach. Getting so old, I honestly don’t recall the year.

Have you always been known as GoForGold? I’ve had the chance to meet an awful lot of GH-ers. Over the decades. Many times at BT road games or bowl games. Keep posting and keep cheering our Gopher Teams on.

Beat the stinking Illini on Gopher!
Nope, I went by a few monikers in the past. This one has stuck the longest. I was one of the guys who helped start Gopher Hole. Both of us passed the torch many years ago. Those who came along since have turned a fairly rag-tag site to something impressive. We met once before a football game in the very early days of Gopher Hole.

Nope, I went by a few monikers in the past. This one has stuck the longest. I was one of the guys who helped start Gopher Hole. Both of us passed the torch many years ago. Those who came along since have turned a fairly rag-tag site to something impressive. We met once before a football game in the very early days of Gopher Hole.
Thanks. And thanks for what you helped start with GH, et al other early names of GH.

You, sir, are a gentleman, scholar and visionary champion …

sincerely,

wren (aka a number of other monikers…)

I am certain that I do recall meeting you… and will refer to you only by your current moniker. That WAS a long while ago GoForGold!!! You were (and I am sure still are) a very nice guy. Thanks for helping me remember you. I need all the help I can get.

Sky-U-Mah!

Last edited:

Rose Bowl.

Will never go there except for the Gophers no matter the reason.

Although only a Gopher since 1997, the Rose Bowl is a kind of Holy Grail for the original Big 10 teams.

Like salmon being called back to the stream where they were born, the Rose Bowl beckons to a time of great glory for our team. Would like to experience it for that reason.

1635995743180.png Go Gophers!

CFP - Pretty clear to me. It means you had the best season, you'll almost certainly finish top 4 in the country and will have at least an outside chance at a National Championship.

I want to see the sun set behind the San Gabriel's while the Gophers are on the field once before I die.
You can only do one because if you're watching the sun set behind the San Gabriels you're not in the Rose Bowl, more likely in Victorville, CA.

I’m pretty sure this exact scenario would have played out if Minnesota had beaten Wisconsin in 2019.

Loss to Iowa
Win against Wisconsin
Go to Indianapolis with 8-1 Big Ten record
Lose to Ohio State
Go to Rose Bowl with 11-2 record
No, I meant this year. My bad that I didn't say that explicitly, but that's what I thought it was clear enough the context was.

If we're 7-2 (10-2 overall) going into Indy, and win to go 11-2 overall, I think we can get into the single digits ranking in CFP ranking, but they'll keep us out of the CFP itself.

I suppose if Michigan St manages only to lose to Ohio St, they still might land ranked ahead of us, and get the Rose Bowl.

Again why I'm hoping to see three losses for MSU in these last four. Would really love to see Purdue punch them in the gut.

Right there would give a nice boost to taking us over them.

But if we lose to one of Iowa/Wisc, then it's over. Even if we still make it to Indy and even if we win that. I don't think we'll make it to the Rose. But, crazy stuff could happen.

Does "obtuse" mean I know which direction the sun sets? Cause if so, guilty.
I was more going for annoying or dull 😉. I'd like to be in the rose bowl and see the sun hit the mountains as it sets. Good correction!

Which of these is most important to you, Gopher fans?

— Going to the Rose Bowl

— Going to the CFP

— Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season

1) Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season. The Gophers play these teams every year and, if we start counting in 2012, they have only two wins combined against them in the last 10 years. After that much frustration, accomplishing this has to mean a lot. Also, if we beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year, that means we have a very good team (or, they're both having down years but that doesn't happen too often).

2) Going to the Rose Bowl. Tradition doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me so getting into a different New Year's six bowl in a year (say the Peach or the Orange) would be fine with me, but going to the Rose Bowl this season likely means that we won the Big Ten championship game so that has to be preferred over another bowl.

3) Going to the CFP. I'm kind of indifferent about that and I still don't believe we would get there with 2 losses.

1) Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season. The Gophers play these teams every year and, if we start counting in 2012, they have only two wins combined against them in the last 10 years. After that much frustration, accomplishing this has to mean a lot. Also, if we beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year, that means we have a very good team (or, they're both having down years but that doesn't happen too often).

2) Going to the Rose Bowl. Tradition doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me so getting into a different New Year's six bowl in a year (say the Peach or the Orange) would be fine with me, but going to the Rose Bowl this season likely means that we won the Big Ten championship game so that has to be preferred over another bowl.

3) Going to the CFP. I'm kind of indifferent about that and I still don't believe we would get there with 2 losses.
Pretty much hits it head on. And like I was trying to argue in my previous couple posts, I don't think it's possible to have 2 this year without having 1.

Thanks. And thanks for what you helped start with GH, et al other early names of GH.

You, sir, are a gentleman, scholar and visionary champion …

sincerely,

wren (aka a number of other monikers…)

I am certain that I do recall meeting you… and will refer to you only by your current moniker. That WAS a long while ago GoForGold!!! You were (and I am sure still are) a very nice guy. Thanks for helping me remember you. I need all the help I can get.

Sky-U-Mah!
That sounds just like you. We may have first met before Gopher Hole. I had my own Gopher football webpage first. It all started out as a training exercise for my job as a programmer. I created a page for Gopher football because there was nothing out there at the time and I was a big fan. Jason Groth, the guy who created Gopher Hole, found my page and asked me to help him add football to Gopher Hole. It was just a basketball site at the beginning. Jason was in college at the time. He is now a lawyer. I've been a web developer for many years since. We found out early on that creating a fan webpage wasn't going to get us rich but we continued because we loved Gopher sports. (It was no Facebook. Ha!)

Last edited:

That sounds just like you. We may have first met before Gopher Hole. I had my own Gopher football webpage first. It all started out as a training exercise for my job as a programmer. I created a page for Gopher football because there was nothing out there at the time and I was a big fan. Jason Groth, the guy who created Gopher Hole, found my page and asked me to help him add football to Gopher Hole. It was just a basketball site at the beginning. Jason was in college at the time. He is now a lawyer. I've been a web developer for many years since. We found out early on that creating a fan webpage wasn't going to get us rich but we continued because we loved Gopher sports.
I remember "GopherTalk" (not sure if that was your page). That was so long ago that people used their real sir names as their monikers, or parts of those names. Oh, if we were to beat Wisconsin and Iowa and go 2-10, although unlikely, it would still suck. Not sure of my first and second choices, but this would be my 3rd.

I remember "GopherTalk" (not sure if that was your page). That was so long ago that people used their real sir names as their monikers, or parts of those names. Oh, if we were to beat Wisconsin and Iowa and go 2-10, although unlikely, it would still suck. Not sure of my first and second choices, but this would be my 3rd.
It was called Gopher Gridiron. I probably had less than 100 people visiting that page regularly. If I could get over 500 visits to my page in a day I was thrilled.

Last edited:

Top Bottom