Which is most important to you, personally?

Which of these is most important to you, Gopher fans?

— Going to the Rose Bowl

— Going to the CFP

— Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season

Beating Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season since we haven't done it for so long. I figure if we do that, we will end up in a great bowl. While I'd love to go to the Rose Bowl, it would be disappointing to go play Utah there (assuming Oregon makes the CFP). I'd almost rather end up in the Fiesta against an SEC team in that case.

Rose Bowl. Yes, the CFP is a bigger deal but I don't think it's a realistic dream for the Gophers right now.

I see what you mean.

I should have asked, "Which is most important to you in any given season". I didn't mean for it to be limited to just this year.

Maybe, "Heading into each season, which is most important to you"?

Rose Bowl, and it's not even close.

With expansion likely for the CFP, it's highly likely the Rose Bowl will lose a good amount of it's luster and importance once that happens. Get in now while it's still somewhat important.

With that said, with the 2 losses already, they're not getting there this year without beating IA and WI, so that takes care of two items on your list.

I will literally spend any amount of money it takes to attend the Rose Bowl if we get there. I'm not sure I'd even feel the need to attend a CFP game.

I'm really not interested, at this point in my life, in traveling to watch a game in person. Been there, done that — many times.

Pasadena is the one possible exception. I might seriously consider it. My wife's dream is to see the parade in person.

There's no chance I'd travel to see a CFP game. None.

— Going to the Rose Bowl

— Going to the CFP

Going to cheat and go with option 3 (beating Wisconsin and Iowa) knowing that if that happens one of the other 2 options is likely to happen as well.

Under the new system the Rose Bowl doesn't hold the same power it used to with being the destination for the best in the Pac 12 and Big Ten. That said, getting there would be really really cool.

Right now the CFP is pretty much reserved for just a handful of teams and we aren't playing in that class yet.

Rose Bowl in the short term. CFP once it changes to 8-12 teams

If you subbed out rose bowl for conference title I pick it.

another good question would be:
Big ten championship
Or
Rose bowl

I honestly think there are some on here who would rather lose a big ten title game if the win meant playoff and loss meant rose bowl

There's no way possible we go to the Rose Bowl but lose to one of Iowa or Wisc and/or don't win the Big Ten.

So I'll take: win out from here, and go to the Rose Bowl.

F the CFP

I see what you mean.

I should have asked, "Which is most important to you in any given season". I didn't mean for it to be limited to just this year.

Maybe, "Heading into each season, which is most important to you"?
CFP. Full discloser: I'm been posting on this forum for a very long time. I was one that said that we shouldn't settle for where Glen Mason took the program. I got some people REALLY mad at me. One, he went by Bob39 I think, said it was people like me who got Mason fired. Yes, Brewster was a big swing and a miss but I was right in the longer run. I actually met Bob39 at a Senate hearing about funding the new Gopher stadium. He was a decent guy. I don't know whatever happened to him. I haven't seen him posting here for years.

Also, there was this guy who went by Wren. He was a Mason settler too. I actually met him too. He was a really nice guy. Many of us really got to know each other in the early days of this website. The Gopher Hole was just this rinky-dink website in the early days. I'm very impressed with how far it's come. Don't know what happened to Wren either.

Last edited:

Beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season

Rose Bowl Parade.......watching the USMC band in person, not just at 8th and I

Rose Bowl win against...... I don't give a damn

It's been on my bucket list for a long time.

The Rose Bowl is dead to me.

It's not necessarily a big 10 champ.

It's not even necessarily going to include a big 10 team sometimes...

If we end up there and win it's a nice thing to mention but it only occurs because of timing / happenstance.

Everything else I worry about in the order that it will occur.

Winning out and going to the Rose Bowl this year, will be no less meaningful than any year where the Big 10 championship meant you got to go to the Rose Bowl.

Could be even more meaningful, this year.

Anyone trying to tell you otherwise, is lying.

I'll throw in a wild card. Winning the West.

I just think that things like the CFP and Rose Bowl have too many external variables at play. Going 13-0 for the playoff? Highly unlikely so you're at the mercy of so called experts deciding if you get a chance to go to these big games and jump teams like Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc.

Winning the west we can control even if we lose a game or two most years. It's realistic and can jumpstart hope for the Rose Bowl to be a possibility.

I want to see the sun set on the San Gabriel's while the Gophers are on the field once before I die. That was synonymous with winning the Big Ten for most of its history and is/was the pinnacle for Big Ten Football. Every Big Ten team except us and Indiana has made it in my lifetime and I just want the experience.

Last edited:

Rose Bowl first. I think if we would beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season there is a good chance we would be Pasadena bound, so that takes care of that.
CFP second.

Edit: And, I want to see the Rose Bowl Parade. I want to go to Disneyland. I want to see an old friend that lives east of Pasadena. I want to go to Santa Anita racetrack for some live horse racing. I want to go to Griffith Observatory. And, I want to go to the beach (I am sure I'll be the only one there since it will be like a bone-chilling 70°.
So...Rose Bowl.

Last edited:

— Going to the Rose Bowl

— Going to the CFP

Recruiting wise:
1. CFP

2. Rose Bowl

3. Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season

Personally:

1. Rose Bowl

2. CFP

3. Beating both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season (My thought here is that this will take care of itself if we are good enough to be in the CFP or to get to the Rose Bowl).

I'd like to attend a Rose Bowl because its a cool thing to say I did. My uncle coached in 1 and remembers it fondly.

But honestly I'd rather beat wisco and iowa

Rose Bowl is king for me. CFP is not going to happen during my tenure as a fan. I could care less about the CFP.

Rose Bowl. It's on my 61-year old father's bucket list...

Rose Bowl. It's on my 61-year old father's bucket list...
My wife's mother was born right after Christmas in 1960. Her father decided not to go to the Rose Bowl saying "I'll go the next time they make it". He died last year at the age of 97.

Rose Bowl. For my father.

He speaks so vividly about those fantastic Gopher teams that played in Rose Bowls in the early 60's.

It's been 60 years since our last Rose Bowl. It's time to make some new memories.

The Rose Bowl is just another post-season exhibition game. Winning a national championship should be a LOT more important.

My wife's mother was born right after Christmas in 1960. Her father decided not to go to the Rose Bowl saying "I'll go the next time they make it". He died last year at the age of 97.
My grandparents were big Gopher football fans even though they lived in South Dakota their entire lives. That was a very common thing back in those days you're referring to. South Dakota became a part of Nebraska's fanbase since then.

Top Bottom