Which Gopher Team is Better?

DoubleAlum

Reaction score
Ignoring opponents and schedules, which Gopher team do you think is stronger overall - last year's or this year's?

Ignoring opponents and schedules, which Gopher team do you think is stronger overall - last year's or this year's?

So far, clearly this one. It took Leidner a little longer to get going last year but he already looks like he's in midseason form. The offensive line looks better so far. There are at least two good running backs and another should join soon. The defense might have been a better early last year but it really wore down as the season went on. Hard to say yet about the receivers.

Too early to tell, and if those 4 players are gone, could get dicey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last years team was so banged up it was hard to tell what they were.

Murray, Boddy Calhoun, Cochran, KJ, Campbell....last year easy.

Initial thought is this offense looks better and last years defense was better. With Lignon and Stills out I worry that better teams will slow down our offense. And this defense is giving up way to many easy completions. If the suspensions are long, CB play will be a problem in Big ten play.

Lignon who?

I'd wait until after the Illinois game before deciding if this year's team is better than last year's.

As said, it seems initially that offense and defense flip-flopped. Now, we'll have to wait the outcome of the four players under suspension.

Initial thought is this offense looks better and last years defense was better. With Lignon and Stills out I worry that better teams will slow down our offense. And this defense is giving up way to many easy completions. If the suspensions are long, CB play will be a problem in Big ten play.

I'd agree. Better offense this year, better defense last year. My guess is this year's better offense will be more of a difference maker than the drop off in defense.

The only suspended players that really matter are Hardin and to a lesser extent Buford seems like Johnson has been passed up by Winfield JR and Duke McGhee plus when Ace Rogers gets healthy that will put him further down depth chart. Buford's been competing for mop up time in the two deeps. It seems to be a next man up mentality with the secondary. For me the suspensions become a concern if there are injuries but for now if we can stay healthy we should alright. As far as comparisions go I liked last year's team better, the only time we were close to full strength was week one and they played a good game with TCU and they really showed some heart vs Michigan, Iowa and Ohio State, with better health and in one instance clock management they could've stolen a couple of games. I think this year's team will win more games. but if you lined the two up best on best I think the 2015 team was the most talented of the Claeys/Kill era

See what happens at Penn State. I'm not liking the discipline both on and off the field.

Probably this year's version - but both pale in comparison to 2014 (no Cobb or Maxx). In this thread, people seem a little 'down' about this year's squad...is it safe to assume then that 7 wins will be a success?

Murray, Boddy Calhoun, Cochran, KJ, Campbell....last year easy.

None of them went first round like Leidner will!

It's too early to tell. After two games it looks like our offense may be better but our defense (especially the secondary) may have taken a step back. Although I do like the pass rush/pressure we are getting on the QBs so far this year, that seems like an improvement. After 2-3 more games I think we'd be able to make a better educated guess.

Probably this year's version - but both pale in comparison to 2014 (no Cobb or Maxx). In this thread, people seem a little 'down' about this year's squad...is it safe to assume then that 7 wins will be a success?

NO.

Absolutely not.

Top Bottom