Which comes first, a Gopher NFL QB or Hell freezing over?

roadrunner

Reaction score
I don't need to tell Gopher fans about our dismal record of producing NFL QB's. Nebraska and Minnesota are tied for the longest streak of not having done so. Hohensee started 2 Bears games during the '87 strike, Sauter appeared in 1 Lions game, and Wynn (who had a coffee here) started 1 Browns and 2 Vikings games.
Can we blame the coaches? the weather? the psychological trauma caused by Pat Reusse? Why can't we have a great QB?

I thought Adam Weber would be that player. Four offensive coordinators, a terrible head coach, mediocre O-lines, and generally bad teams later, he wasn't that guy anymore.
I never thought Weber would make the nfl. Threw 20 picks as a freshman.
He had some moments preseason and was in practice squads a while

I think he maximized his potential

Doesn't iowa already freeze sometimes.........

Hell is freezing over this weekend. So there’s that. 17 here Saturday and shouldn’t be freezing.

I’m excited when a player plays in the nfl but I don’t really sweat specific positions.

This may be more common that one might think. Have not researched it carefully but the U of South Carolina also has had quite a dry spell with producing a QB that makes an NFL roster. I think that Jon Denton made the Miami practice squad a while back, but can't recall one who made an active roster. Purdue sure seems to be able to produce QB's, can't imagine why...

Purdue sure seems to be able to produce QB's,..
And then some.

Len Dawson
Bob DeMoss
Drew Brees
Gary Danielson
Dale Samuels
Mike Phipps
Bob Griese
Mark Hermann
Scott Campbell
Jim Everett
Kyle Orton
Curtis Painter

It is truly remarkable the amount of quarterback talent they've produced going all the way back to the '50s. They've sent 15 quarterbacks to the NFL, with those QB's having combined for more NFL starts, yardage thrown, touchdown passes, and Super Bowl championships than any other school. And in 2026, once Brees becomes eligible, they'll have produced three Pro Football Hall of Famers (Dawson, Griese, Brees).

Wow.

I think Tanner Morgan can make it if he really focuses. And gets a pissed-off attitude instead of a nice-guy attitude.

He was on-track until his dad passed away. And then he got married.

Of course he should remain a good guy deep down. But he should abandon his current life for 6-12 months and go kick someone's ass at an NFL tryout.

And then some.

Len Dawson
Bob DeMoss
Drew Brees
Gary Danielson
Dale Samuels
Mike Phipps
Bob Griese
Mark Hermann
Scott Campbell
Jim Everett
Kyle Orton
Curtis Painter

It is truly remarkable the amount of quarterback talent they've produced going all the way back to the '50s. They've sent 15 quarterbacks to the NFL, with those QB's having combined for more NFL starts, yardage thrown, touchdown passes, and Super Bowl championships than any other school. And in 2026, once Brees becomes eligible, they'll have produced three Pro Football Hall of Famers (Dawson, Griese, Brees).

Wow.
Blough is a heartbeat away right now and he isn’t even on your list

Perhaps Canadian Drew Viotto can follow in the footsteps of fellow Canadian Mark Rypien?

I think Tanner Morgan can make it if he really focuses. And gets a pissed-off attitude instead of a nice-guy attitude.

Of course he should remain a good guy deep down. But he should abandon his current life for 6-12 months and go kick someone's ass at an NFL tryout.
You’re serious?

Athan will be in the NFL, so unless he’ll freezes over in the next couple years you have the answer.

Temperatures in Houston will fall below 20 in the coming days.....It’s south and it’s going to be freezing here, so hell is literally freezing over in the south.

Missed Streveler. He appeared in 8 games and started 1 game for the Gophers before moving on to a better career at South Dakota, then appeared in 4 games for the Cardinals.

Not that this has anything to do with football, but I would love to live in
Minneapolis. The cold and all the snow is right up my alley. Good luck to the
Gophers in their bowl game.

Missed Streveler. He appeared in 8 games and started 1 game for the Gophers before moving on to a better career at South Dakota, then appeared in 4 games for the Cardinals.
And he came in last night and played well for the Jets.

Tanners won't make an NFL roster as anything other than a backup or on a practice squad. I appreciate what he's done at the U but I think his best football was in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Flecks staff in the near future.

What are you calling an "NFL QB"? Invited to a fall camp? Makes a practice squad? Makes an active roster? Plays a decent amount? Starts a game? Starts (most of) a season?

found this - # of QB's drafted from various schools since 2013.
  • 4 players: Oklahoma
  • 3 players: Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, NC State, North Dakota State, Ohio State, Pitt, USC, WKU
  • 2 players: Arkansas, Cal, Duke, FIU, Georgia, Iowa, Louisville, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Mississippi State, UNC, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Texas A&M, UCLA, Washington State, West Virginia
so that's 31 schools that have each had at least 2 QB's drafted since 2013.

Top Bottom