Which Coaching record would you rather have....

Would you rather be 1-17 when trailing at halftime or 5-16 in games decided by 1 score?

• Fleck's - 1-17 when Trailing at Halftime

• Frost's - 5-16 record in 1 score games

Results are only viewable after voting.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
So if you could pick one of these dubious coaching marks, which would you pick? I don't know what Frost's record is when trailing at halftime but Fleck is 13-7 in his Gopher career in 1 score games.

Thats a good question but a tough one since, as you say in your post, Fleck also has a better record in one score games than Frost. I actually went Frost here because winning or losing, being in one score games means you're being competitive. A poor record after half is hard to judge without knowing scores and situations, but by the eye test, it appears to be a lack of adjustments at half and/or a team that may not have motivation after half. Its tough to find a positive in either but at least being in one score games gives you a shot at winning and means you're being competitive.

One edge I would give Frost in his close game record over Fleck is that the vast majority of Frost's one score games have come against Big Ten or other power 5 teams whereas Fleck has a decent number against non power 5 opponents.

Whatever one has more wins in the end ;)

Both numbers could be something very good or very bad teams have.

Coming from behind is nice but I wonder if Frost has done it ... who he has had to come from behind against...

Last edited:

I would be curious to know what the overall record is of teams trailing at halftime. I guess I'd rather give credit to PJ for leading at halftime more often than not, rather than pick at the 1-17 record.

Frost is 3-18 when trailing at the half at Nebraska.
3-18 is not much difference from 1-17 in my opinion. No need to compare this history. I'll take Fleck as I believe he will outlast Frost in the long run.

Thats a good question but a tough one since, as you say in your post, Fleck also has a better record in one score games than Frost. I actually went Frost here because winning or losing, being in one score games means you're being competitive. A poor record after half is hard to judge without knowing scores and situations, but by the eye test, it appears to be a lack of adjustments at half and/or a team that may not have motivation after half. Its tough to find a positive in either but at least being in one score games gives you a shot at winning and means you're being competitive.
Frost has the same record as Brewster through 39 games in the big ten. But yeah I’d rather have frost than fleck because he has managed to lose 16 games by one score.

This is not your fault, it’s a really weird comparison of two unrelated stats.

Frost is finally coming on at Nebraska, where he has the only game in town, a 95,000-seat stadium, great facilities, a tradition of winning national championships as recently as the 90s, and recruiting advantages in all of the above.

Frost is finally coming on at Nebraska, where he has the only game in town, a 95,000-seat stadium, great facilities, a tradition of winning national championships as recently as the 90s, and recruiting advantages in all of the above.
He is and he isn't. So much of their offense is tied directly to Adrian Martinez and if he elects to leave after this year there is no guarantee that their offense runs the same under a different QB.

This is a big game for Nebraska because if they lose to us there is a very good chance they once again miss a bowl game and finish with a losing record. A loss to Minnesota would drop them to 3-5 with games against Ohio State and Iowa still on the schedule along with a road game in Madison and a home game vs. Purdue. Winning 3 of their final 4 would be a pretty lofty proposition.

I don't know that Trev Albert would look to send Frost packing in his first year as AD but 4 straight non-bowl years under Frost would not sit well with the fanbase at a time when you just need to be mediocre to make a bowl game.

So if you could pick one of these dubious coaching marks, which would you pick? I don't know what Frost's record is when trailing at halftime but Fleck is 13-7 in his Gopher career in 1 score games.
I don't care about those kinds of stats...just actual wins...and better yet, big ten wins!

Last edited:

I don't care about those kinds of stats...just a tual wins...and better yet, big ten wins!
Just a fun little throw away poll since both these marks have gotten a decent amount of publicity and you know we are playing Nebraska this week.

I would rather have the lead at halftime and win Than be losing at halftime, sometimes win but mostly lose by 7 or less.

The 1-17 record isn't great, but it also includes a large number of games that have nothing to do with a coach. It's hard to really nit pick the coaching when we got stomped by #5 WI in PJ's first year.

The one score games almost always come down to 2-3 plays. Sometimes it's players just making plays. Sometimes it playcalling. Usually it's a combo of both. I think it's a much stronger indicator of coaching ability than the halftime stat.

Top Bottom