Where will the Gophers be ranked to start next season

Where will the Gophers be ranked when they kick off on the Thursday night opener?

• Total voters

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Great end to the year over a helmet school. Momentum and 11 wins. Where does that put the Gophers when they kick off on the Thursday night opener??

Oops...misread the OP. To start the season, probably in the 15-20 range.

Top 20 ranking but I prefer to be unranked.

Ski-U-Mah!

I think the Gophs have to prove their defense won’t have lost too much before they move up to higher than 15-20

Somewhere between 11-20. I have no idea how to predict what the writers will do, but I can't see them putting us below 20. I voted 16-20.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to surprise me.

Voted 16-20 but think 14/15 is possible as well. There will definitely be some "prove it" still in play but we should be right around 15th to start the year.

16-20. Texas, Michigan, Auburn, Iowa and maybe USC will get the name recognition vote ahead of the Gophs. I'm looking forward to see how far the perennial overrating of Nebraska, Florida State, and Miami go.

Certainly behind Texas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, and USC

a bunch of programs who are almost always ranked for no reason

You beat me to the punch!

Certainly behind Texas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, and USC

Add in Notre Dame. They’ll get their honorary top 10 ranking because of their name.

Yep. I’d guess somewhere around 15th. There are a ton of blue bloods that will get every benefit of the doubt going into 2020 because of recruiting and recent historical performance. As always, I don’t mind as disrespect is one of the primary motivators.

OSU, LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Baylor, and probably Auburn will all be above us to start next season. Bama for sure, Auburn shouldn’t be, but probably will be. if Notre Dame happens to not be ahead of us, I think it’ll be Michigan instead even though they don’t deserve to be. So I’m going with #15. Depends on how many “prove it” people there are out there. If there are a lot, I bet we start somewhere at #20-#23.

OSU, LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Baylor, and probably Auburn will all be above us to start next season. Bama for sure, Auburn shouldn’t be, but probably will be. if Notre Dame happens to not be ahead of us, I think it’ll be Michigan instead even though they don’t deserve to be. So I’m going with #15. Depends on how many “prove it” people there are out there. If there are a lot, I bet we start somewhere at #20-#23.

Don't forget Texas, because they are always "back". Year after year, they are "back" until they play another team…....

you forgot Nebraska- they will be ranked a head of us because of Frost........??

18 to 25.

just don’t see the pollsters giving our perceived lack of “talent” any more credit then that.

but, hey, it’s how you are ranked at the end of the season, not at the beginning.

I think around 15. They were already being talked up about having a lot coming back next year, especially on offense.

Add in Notre Dame. They’ll get their honorary top 10 ranking because of their name.
Meh. Top me Notre Dame being ranked in the top 20 is okay.
When they get placed top 5 to start I have doubts. They have been pretty consistently a top 20 team to end seasons under kelly

Where they should be and where they end up are two different things. You are going to have teams like Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas ranked much higher than they should be based on their name alone. All that does for teams more deserving is move them further down the rankings to start the season which will mean a higher hill to climb when the initial CFB rankings are released.

Every year there are at least 5-7 teams that are ranked in the preseason top 25 much higher than they should be based on their name and/or conference. From the Big Ten alone, Michigan and Nebraska are two of those teams that usually get ranked higher than they deserve to start the season.

It will be interesting to see how the 2020 preseason rankings end up. I can see several B1G teams bunched together in that 12-20 range (Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa)

Don't forget Tennessee!

i guarantee Auburn is ranked ahead of us.

I think pre-season ratings often start off with the presumption that annual recruiting rankings are highly correlated with success. So, teams with perennially high recruiting class rankings are assumed to be better until proven otherwise. In the 2020 Class early signing period, the Gophers snagged one 4-star (in 247 composite system): Itavion Brown. Auburn has 13 4-stars signing early; Nebraska had 10 4-stars signing early. As the year wears on, teams’ weekly rankings change as voters observe how a team: (1) fails to utilize or properly develop its talent (e.g., Nebraska), or (2) succeeds in developing talent to perform well above initial result predicted from HS recruitment (e.g., Minnesota!). I think we’ll start in 16-20 range, because of how well we performed in 2019 plus the number of returning vets on offense. Will move up if we beat Iowa and/or Wisconsin, both of whom we play earlier in 2020. Will move down if we lose those games. First game, FAU, is a trap game. We’ve got to win that or we won’t see top 25 until deeper into the season.

This is my thought too. Any recency bias advantage Minnesota might have will be gone by August. The media will be inundated with stories about the resurgence of more storied programs and the Gophers will sneak in as a contrarian pick by a few smart pickers.

There's a chance this team wins 10+ games again next year, but they need to do some major development in the defense this off season with all of the personnel loss. Could be great, could be a bumpy road, either way I look forward to watching.

Top Bottom