Where will Damian Johnson rank on your all-time favorite Gopher list

From the Barn

Reaction score
I must admit that he really won me over with his "speech" during Tubby's tip-off last season. But to come from middle of nowhere Louisiana to the middle of nowhere on Dan Monson's roster, to become a team captain, one of the best defenders in the country, and to already have a degree, he is the whole point of college basketball. College athletics can seem to be shady, sleazy, and full of unethical people. However, people like Damian Johnson make it worth it.

I must admit that he really won me over with his "speech" during Tubby's tip-off last season. But to come from middle of nowhere Louisiana to the middle of nowhere on Dan Monson's roster, to become a team captain, one of the best defenders in the country, and to already have a degree, he is the whole point of college basketball. College athletics can seem to be shady, sleazy, and full of unethical people. However, people like Damian Johnson make it worth it.

Not to mention how hopeless he appeared to be as a redshirt frosh. Payton was a better prospect than DJ. If he's willing to accept the late springs in Minnesota, I'd imagine there will be a lot of people who'd like to have Damian Johnson on their payroll.

He's very high on my list. I recall watching the public scrimmage at Rochester's community college during Monson's last season and being struck by DJ's athleticism that seemed unmatched on the court at that time. Along with ZTA Gopher, in what may have been our first and last point agreed upon, I predicted that he'd be a solid player for the Gophers. Along with the rest of the team, his freshman season was lost in the abyss and you had to wonder if he'd ever be more than a warm body for the Gophers. When I sat in the stands for Tubby Smith's debut against Navy, DJ was the best player on the court that day, hustling, playing defense, and displaying the athleticism I had witnessed in Rochester the previous year. The excitement shared between my cousin and I as we discussed his game and his possible development was palpable. Not knowing anything other than what I've seen on the court and read in the papers, he's continued to progress the way you'd like any person to do so during their college career-tapping into their potential, developing their self-confidence, and preparing themselves to step out into this sometimes mean world with tangible skills, both on and off the basketball court.

DJ is everything good about the Minnesota Gophers. He is one of the most reliable players on the team. I trust him more than anyone else on the club, even Westbrook. It takes a special player to commit to defense and ask nothing in return on offense.

DJ

Unquestionably my favorite player of the Monson and early Tubby era. I really enjoy watching his complete defense and as others have mentioned the fact that his successs seemed to come out of nowhere. And while he has become a good player it's the testaments to his character that have really elevated him on my list of all time favorite gophers.

DJ ranks pretty high on my list as well. My favorites over the years have been Willie Burton, Bobby Jackson, Eric Harris, and Dusty Rychart. I think Dusty still ranks as my favorite of the bunch because he did the most with the least. But DJ does just about everything pretty well. If there is a hole in his game, it's on offense. But even that's a minor quibble. He's absolutely rock-solid. He makes several plays every game that are noticeable and important.

1. Lou Hudson--Probably most talented Gopher ever. Played most of one year with a cast on his shooting hand. Still often scored in double figures.
2. Willie Burton--Great player. Still came here after Madison. Led that great run in 1990 (?) that ended with that heartbreaking loss against Georgia Tech.
3. Bobby Jackson--The guts of The Year That Never Was. It seemed like whenever we needed a basket or play, he would make it.
4. Dusty Rychart--For his tremendous hustle.
5. Right now tie: Damian Johnson and Richard Coffey--DJ is more versatile but they're a little alike in that they do the little things. Both All Character guys.

I doubted DJ's potential because he was a Monson recruit with little fanfare when he first signed with the team. I was wrong. I love his attitude, length, demeanor, defense, etc. I'll be sad to see him go after the season.

In no particular order, my fav Gophs over the years other than DJ:

Jayson Walton - As a 15 yo, I attended a scrimmage in Europe in '93. My father and I were the only Americans in the small Belgian gym, much less Gopher fans other than the team. After the game, we got pics with the whole team but Jayson really stood out to me at my impressionable stage. He sat there talking to me for 5 minutes, asking ME questions about my life in Europe at the time and MY basketball team. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. Will never forget it.

Chad Kolander - Same experience and he was also welcoming to me. I remember when he rebounded for me after the game as I was shooting around.

Bobby Jackson - At the time, the '97 Goph team was my favorite of all time. He was the leader.

Willie Burton - The NCAA game against the 'Cuse in '89 was my first real love affair with Gopher BB and I idiolized the guy.

"Unathletic, slow, and awkward" Dusty - Love players that embarrass the other team because they view him as a nobody. That happened all of the time during his Gopher career.

Quincy Lewis - Great college player and an even better person.

1. Lou Hudson--Probably most talented Gopher ever. Played most of one year with a cast on his shooting hand. Still often scored in double figures.
2. Willie Burton--Great player. Still came here after Madison. Led that great run in 1990 (?) that ended with that heartbreaking loss against Georgia Tech.
3. Bobby Jackson--The guts of The Year That Never Was. It seemed like whenever we needed a basket or play, he would make it.
4. Dusty Rychart--For his tremendous hustle.
5. Right now tie: Damian Johnson and Richard Coffey--DJ is more versatile but they're a little alike in that they do the little things. Both All Character guys.

Not old enough to have seen Hudson, but my dad is, and says he was something special. Willie could score with the best of them, Bobby was Mr. clutch (can't remember the last time another player won both Big Ten Player of the Year and Big Ten Defensive player of the year at the same time :)) Dusty just knew how to play. Coffey was tough as nails.

I also liked Melvin Newbern and Jayson Walton, but I digress.....:D

1. Willie Burton
2. Voshon Lenard (frosh and soph, 5 least favorite players as a junior, senior)
3. Bobby Jackson
4. Quincy Lewis
5. Dusty Rychart

Top Bottom