Where does Jackson rank?

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
I like Dan Jackson. He’s in the top 5 all time in receptions and getting up there in yards. Where would you rank him in gopher WR history?

In the last 25-30 years I’d take Bateman, ED, TJ, Ron Johnson over him, but outside of them he’s been pretty good.
Thoughts?

I like Dan Jackson. He’s in the top 5 all time in receptions and getting up there in yards. Where would you rank him in gopher WR history?

In the last 25-30 years I’d take Bateman, ED, TJ, Ron Johnson over him, but outside of them he’s been pretty good.
Thoughts?
Decker?

Thoughts?
It's an interesting question. For whatever reason he probably flies under the radar when people start thinking about best receivers to ever play at the U. Even though he has some of the greatest highlight reel catches in Gopher history the past couple seasons.

I'm not sure where I would rank Jackson but he deserves a spot among the best ever at the U of M.

DJ was "big" tonight. He's in a group of very good receivers that have stood out over the years:

I'd add these recievers to your list above:

Tutu Atwell
Jared Ellerson
Omar Douglas
Luke Leverson
Matt Spaeth

There were a few guys with more yards, but these where the Oh Shit we need a play receivers of years past.

Tempted to add Arland Bruce, but that was based on a single catch. But what a catch.

I think he has flown below the radar a bit. Part of that is he hasn't had consistent play from the QB and he's not as explosive (or the offense isn't designed to allow him to be explosive) as some of the other guys mentioned above. But he is clutch and has made so many great catches during his time with the Gophers.

It's an interesting question. For whatever reason he probably flies under the radar when people start thinking about best receivers to ever play at the U. Even though he has some of the greatest highlight reel catches in Gopher history the past couple seasons.

I'm not sure where I would rank Jackson but he deserves a spot among the best ever at the U of M.
I wonder if part of that is he doesn't make the big Bateman style plays where he catches a 10 yard pass and is gone or just burns past a DB for a 70 yard bomb. He has more Cris Carter to him where he just catches everything near him to the point you just expect the ball to land in his hands if it is in the vicinity.

DJ was "big" tonight. He's in a group of very good receivers that have stood out over the years:

Tutu Atwell
Jared Ellerson

Omar Douglas
Luke Leverson
Matt Spaeth

There were a few guys with more yards, but these where the Oh Shit we need a play receivers of years past.

Tempted to add Arland Bruce, but that was based on a single catch. But what a catch.
Man I loved those guys back in the day!

Thoughts?

I currently have him 23th all-time :ROFLMAO:

Tutu Atwell
Jared Ellerson
Omar Douglas
Luke Leverson
Matt Spaeth

Utecht?

If he was faster maybe he could be a first rounder? He has great hands and a nose for the ball.

I wonder if part of that is he doesn't make the big Bateman style plays where he catches a 10 yard pass and is gone or just burns past a DB for a 70 yard bomb. He has more Cris Carter to him where he just catches everything near him to the point you just expect the ball to land in his hands if it is in the vicinity.
Yeah was going to say him and Bateman are very different receivers. Bateman was an elite route runner and could always find separation. Jackson doesn’t have that, but he does have the ability to make something out of nothing any time the ball comes his way.

Tutu Atwell
Jared Ellerson
Omar Douglas
Luke Leverson
Matt Spaeth

Add Ernie Wheelwright, he was a huge target and made some big catches.

He doesn’t seem to have the wheels of a receiver that can blow past teams (but could partly be due to QB limitations in his career), but he has the surest hands I’ve seen in years. I def have some recency bias going, but his catches routinely have me picking my jaw up off the floor.

Excellent route runner, hands made of glue, and poise in big moments. I would say he is on par with all the greats you mentioned. I’m not plugged into stats enough to do any real objective analysis… but my gut says I’d take him in third down over Decker, and Bateman. RJ was pretty clutch himself tho.

I’m glad you made this thread because I was wanting some DJ chat.

I think that is a good way of looking at it because he doesn't have a ton of catch and run plays but he has made a number of spectacular catches and does seem to catch everything that comes his way.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him at the next level. He doesn't have the size or speed NFL teams covet but he catches everything and in the right system could be a very valuable player. Unlikely to ever be a star but maybe someone who can earn a paycheck for multiple years.

Top Bottom