Where do we go from here?

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
I remember how I bought into Brew nearly four years ago, even with the lame attempt at the Rouser during his introductory news conference. Yeah, he was different - Gopher Nation, going to the Rose Bowl, etc, etc. But I was okay with it - we had never had anybody like that before, and I thought "maybe this IS the kind of attitude we need!"

Unfortunately, the peek came the moment the final whistle blew in Champaign two years ago (seems like ten) and it has been a stream of dissappointments since.

I do think we will have some good candidates. My concern lies in not knowing who is going to be making the hire. If not Maturi (which is fine), who is going to be leading this search? Who will make the call?

Seeing Doogie's list - there are a bunch that I could buy into. The obvious ones: Tier 1, of course; Coordinators from MSU, Alabama, TCU, etc, etc. A number of candidates that I hope never even get a phone call (Trestman and Fulmer, to name a couple).

The reality is, watching these other teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, etc, etc. makes it clear as day that we have a long road ahead of us. I don't care what anybody says, there is a big discrepancy in size, physicality and talent between us and those teams. I have hope for our offensive line, which finally has youth and size coming up. However, I don't know of any other position (besides wherever Marquise is playing) that I look at and think "wow, in two years they are going to be phenomenal".

All of this being said, this is a Big Ten job, and with the Big Ten network, is one of the four premo leagues in the land -thus, a top 40 job. Our stadium truly is quality. We have a fanbase that I think definitely WANTS a winner, and if given the right leader, will jump on board (see Tubby and how folks have jumped back on board for hoops).

Thus, again, we should get some great candidates, right? Please, please, please, whoever makes the final decision, please make the right one.

What happens during the last three home games? Does anyone show up? A chant of "Fire Brewster" does not good, that's done. I wish he'd have a change of heart and just step aside.

What happens during the last three home games? Does anyone show up? A chant of "Fire Brewster" does not good, that's done. I wish he'd have a change of heart and just step aside.

I think by "firing" him now the negative vibe focused on Brew is gone. We are still a bad team but I am looking forward now. I want to cheer these guys on.

Not sure having him on the sidelines makes the negative vibes go away. He's still there and the boos are going to rain down on questionable play calls and defensive failures. Does this hurt recruiting? How many pull back their commitments?

Not sure having him on the sidelines makes the negative vibes go away. He's still there and the boos are going to rain down on questionable play calls and defensive failures. Does this hurt recruiting? How many pull back their commitments?

I think this is definitely a positive for doing this now. Yeah, some who have committed will open things up, but if we hire the right guy, it may open the door to other guys who weren't considering us because of Brew/uncertainty surrounding him. As happened when Brew was hired, he was able to sell some semblance of stability, playing time, and the eventual opening of a new stadium.

As with any other new coach, the replacement can sell these same things, but the stadium is now a reality, and again, if we hire the right guy - a known commodity - these kids will be excited about the opportunity to play for him.

Whom do we want isn't the only question...

Who wants us is the bigger question. Six straight coaches and three stadiums have produced nothing here since we became a pro sports town. It will take a coach who is willing to risk his reputation while playing in the shadow of all the pro teams and even Gopher hockey to accept an offer at Minnesota. It's not as simple as asking someone and they'll take the job.

we watch as our list of recruits for next year find a new team. Will Mr. Olson go to Wisconsin? We will get all excited about the new coach and his style of play. In four of five years we will be good again. Just be patient and we will be back at the rose bowl or a Jan. 1 game. I have been following this team since Cal Stoll, and it is the same program, different year. We do not have the vision or patients for building a winning program. The teams that have the continuity are the ones that are successful. Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio state, maybe even Mighigan.

we watch as our list of recruits for next year find a new team. Will Mr. Olson go to Wisconsin? We will get all excited about the new coach and his style of play. In four of five years we will be good again. Just be patient and we will be back at the rose bowl or a Jan. 1 game. I have been following this team since Cal Stoll, and it is the same program, different year. We do not have the vision or patients for building a winning program. The teams that have the continuity are the ones that are successful. Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio state, maybe even Mighigan.

If we get a decent coach, our recruits won't go anywhere, and even if they do, who says Brewster really was the great recruiter he proclaimed to be! As for continuity, there was none at Iowa or Wisconsin either, until they hired Fry and Alvarez...when the program turned the corner, THAT is when they got continuity, not the other way around.

Thus, again, we should get some great candidates, right? Please, please, please, whoever makes the final decision, please make the right one.

If Maturi is not going to make the decision then it will be done by a hand picked Committee none of whom will bear the ultimate responsibility for the success or failure of the new coach. And, of course, the new President will also be able to wash her hands of the whole thing once she is finally on board.

I hope people show up. We should look at the rest of the season as a new beginning. And if what I read is true, the players like Brewster and will probably play hard for him, so even if the Gophers lose, the games will still be entertaining, and perhaps an upset will happen.

Also, you still gotta love outdoor football at TCF Bank Stadium.

Put the glue down, man.

Tom Olson to Wisconsin? Come on, you know better than that.

Not to mention we have the biggest amount of students in the big 10 big 12 sec acc and PAC 10

Top Bottom