Where Do Gophers Rank in B1G Before Maui?

Reaction score
While our opinion may or may not change this week based upon Maui, do the Gophers have a realistic shot at the first division of the B1G?

I see MSU as final four material and the best of this year's conference.

Then it seems OSU, Michigan (if the conference's best player McGary can overcome back problems) and sorry to say Wis are the second tier.

Gophers seem they can battle with Indiana, Iowa and Purdue for 5th through 8th. If the Gophers continue to win the turnover battle (refreshing), play with poise (reflective of the coach?) as they did at Richmond and can establish the tempo, MN can be the B1G's surprise team.

What are the Board's observations and reasonable expectations?

While our opinion may or may not change this week based upon Maui, do the Gophers have a realistic shot at the first division of the B1G?

I see MSU as final four material and the best of this year's conference.

Then it seems OSU, Michigan (if the conference's best player McGary can overcome back problems) and sorry to say Wis are the second tier.

Gophers seem they can battle with Indiana, Iowa and Purdue for 5th through 8th. If the Gophers continue to win the turnover battle (refreshing), play with poise (reflective of the coach?) as they did at Richmond and can establish the tempo, MN can be the B1G's surprise team.

What are the Board's observations and reasonable expectations?

If I had to make my power rankings (tiers) at this point in the season it would go something like this:

Tier 1: MSU, OSU, WI, & MI
Tier 2: Gophers, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue,
Tier 3: Nebraska, Northwestern, PSU

If I had to guess how it will look as the dust settles at the end of the season:

1. MSU
2. MI
3. OSU
4. WI
5. Iowa
6. Indiana
7. GOPHERS
8. Illinois
9. Purdue
10. Nebraska
11. PSU
12. Northwestern

I think the Gophers have a great shot at making the tournament. Overall, I have been pretty underwhelmed by the BIG's nonconference performances. Sure, MSU beat Kentucky, but then almost dropped the next game. OSU's best win was an ugly, ugly, game against Marquette. WI beat an overrated Florida team at home and then almost loses to UWGB.

We will know MUCH more at the end of December. Go Gophers!

I'd say somewhere between #6 and #9. Better than NW for sure. Probably better than PSU and NE. Probably not as good as MSU, OSU, UW, UM, IA. Hard for me to gauge who's the best among IU, IL, PU, and MN - they all kind of feel about the same to me at this time. A lot of parity in college basketball this year - even more than usual at the top it seems.

I'd say somewhere between #6 and #9. Better than NW for sure. Probably better than PSU and NE. Probably not as good as MSU, OSU, UW, UM, IA. Hard for me to gauge who's the best among IU, IL, PU, and MN - they all kind of feel about the same to me at this time. A lot of parity in college basketball this year - even more than usual at the top it seems.

I thoroughly agree with your parity comment. Even as something as "silly" as a 1-5 Vermont team taking Duke down to the wire!

As far as IU, IL, PU, and MN....I don't see PU among the other 3, as Purdue has gone through a few nailbiters versus pretty terrible competition. But, it is early.

Wisconsin is better than Ohio State everyday and twice on Sundays. I don't think Aaron Craft will be able to do it by himself. I think them and Iowa are fighting for 4th.

Bo Ryan's streak continues and it won't be close.

Iowa was very good by the end of last season and adding Uhtoff, currently 3rd in scoring, 2nd in rebounding, and also Jok, to that roster easily puts them in the converstation for 4th with Wisconsin.
Tier 1-Michigan st
Tier 2-Ohio ST, Michigan
Tier 3- Wisconsin, Iowa
Tier 4- Mn, Purd, Indiana, Illinois
Tier 5- Penn st, Northw, Nebr

I think the inside game is going to be a major issue along with rebounding, although I like the hire, I think its going to be a tough year for the Gophers. I am guessing somewhere between 7th and 9th in the conference, probably 7-11 or that neighborhood.

I'd say 4th-7th. I think that Pitino's uptempo system plays well for the small guard heavy team that we have this year. I think that we will be better than most expect.

I legitimately have no idea, both because I am not quite sure how good we are and I have watched very little of the other B1G teams. I just hope we are in the discussion for a tourney bid the last couple weeks of the season.

I have no basis of comparison to other B1G teams but this gopher team underwhelms me so far. ( I like the Pitino hire and I like his system.). The talent drop off after Andre and Austin is huge and the press doesn't seem to bother anybody. 6-12 with a couple of upsets at home would be my guess.

I have no basis of comparison to other B1G teams but this gopher team underwhelms me so far. ( I like the Pitino hire and I like his system.). The talent drop off after Andre and Austin is huge and the press doesn't seem to bother anybody. 6-12 with a couple of upsets at home would be my guess.

Not breaking any new ground here, but the next four games will largely define my expectation level moving forward. I have a hard time making a prediction for better or worse until we see how this works against better competition. That being said, 6-12 still seems a little low to me????

We finished tied for 7th and seeded 9th, I am not trying to restart that argument. But we lost 2 our starting forward and center. The starting center led the big ten in rebounding twice. He was also an excellent shot blocker. The forward, although he didn't progress much on offense, was quick on defense and battled hard. What have we added to this years team to make you think we will finish better? Dre will be nice at pg. Pitino has an entire different system to install. But If we match last years finish it will be a great success to me.

I thoroughly agree with your parity comment. Even as something as "silly" as a 1-5 Vermont team taking Duke down to the wire!

As far as IU, IL, PU, and MN....I don't see PU among the other 3, as Purdue has gone through a few nailbiters versus pretty terrible competition. But, it is early.

You might be right. If I had to pick between those four as to which team has the most potential to bottom out, I would guess Purdue. They may only be on par with Nebraska and a step behind IU/IL/MN. But it's so early in the year, it's hard to be sure exactly what kind of impact the newcomers at Purdue are going to have when conference play rolls around.

Looking forward to going to the Mack tomorrow night to see UNLV-Illinois. Illinois hasn't lost yet but hasn't played anyone either

I would say Nebraska will end up better than one of those Tier Two teams that were listed above. Just not sure which one yet.

Looking forward to going to the Mack tomorrow night to see UNLV-Illinois. Illinois hasn't lost yet but hasn't played anyone either

I would say Nebraska will end up better than one of those Tier Two teams that were listed above. Just not sure which one yet.

Vaughn will be there, where some Minnesota gear...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rashad Vaughn Visiting*UNLV <a href="http://t.co/s07IUVYJAj">http://t.co/s07IUVYJAj</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/405320941778898944">November 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still a lot to learn during the nonconference season, but early impressions:

(1) Michigan State, Iowa and, Wisconsin (in that order) are the Big Ten's best three teams.

(2) Sparty still Final Four good, but wanna' see more from their bench (beyond Valentine and Trice) if they want to win it all.

(3) I think Iowa has a chance to be really, really good. ... Elite 8 good. Hawkeyes have lots of scoring weapons.

(4) We're not going to recognize this year's Badgers. They're going to score a lot more and won't be afraid to play up tempo. And yes, I'm serious.

(5) Michigan will be fine once we hit January.

(6) Ohio State will defend the h*ll out of you as always, but not sure they'll be elite because they can't score.

(7) At beginning of the season I had Purdue, Illinois, the Gophers, and Northwestern (in that order) perhaps fighting for 1 or 2 NCAA bids. Scratch Northwestern from that list, and now I like the Gophers' chances of finishing ahead of Purdue. Illinois vs. the Gophers. ... need more data.

I think we should be able to battle for top 6 after last night, as long as we don't have any injuries. Wisconsin is going to be interesting this year, they can put up a lot of points but their D is MUCH worse than year's past. Maybe Bo can get them to play better D, but if he can't I think we can play with them. Haven't had a chance to watch many of the other B1G teams.

I'm afraid to say this because Bo Ryan just wins with nothing.... But I do not like this years Wisconsin Team as much as I thought I would coming into the season.

After watching the UW UWGB game live, and then reading about the UND game makes me think this might be a weak defensive team, GB scored quite easily despite not having any shooters to speak of and their big man on the bench most of the game, and then UND puts up 80+!?!? I don't see the uptempo style, I see a slow it down ugly streaky team that in some games will play uptempo because they cannot stop anyone with their slow grabby guards. Jackson, Gasser, Brust are 2 to 3 steps slower than almost every teams #1 and #2 guard. UWGB's PG Sykes (tremendous talent) made them look SLOOOOOW.

MSU By a mile
Iowa, OSU Michigan and Wisconsin make up a level 2 which is lower than we all think
Illinois, NW, NE, Gophs, Indiana, Purdue for Tier 3
PSU on the bottom

Winasota your first two tiers look much like everyone else's.
Your tier 3 has similar teams to most: Ill, MN, Indiana, Purdue. But, you have NW and Nebraska there and Penn st at the bottom. I think those 3 are the bottom of the league. I think the most likely B1G team to underachieve is Indiana, and the one most likely to suprise is MN or Illinois.

As for Wisconsin, Berggren, Evans, and Brueswitz were all hard nosed tough defensive players. I am not suprised Wisconsin's defense is down.

Vaughn will be there, where some Minnesota gear...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rashad Vaughn Visiting*UNLV <a href="http://t.co/s07IUVYJAj">http://t.co/s07IUVYJAj</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/405320941778898944">November 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Funny you should mention that...

This will already be my third UNLV game this year (normally I'm fortunate to make it to 1 or 2 for the season) and each of the last two I was THIS close to wearing the Gopher sweatshirt but didn't out of respect for the guy that takes me (big UNLV fan). Tonight he's just giving me those tickets, AND with Vaughn there, I'll be wearing the maroon and gold sweatshirt. Unfortunately, I'm guessing Vaughn will be sitting behind the UNLV bench and the seats I'm in are 8 rows off the floor in the exact opposite corner of the Mack from the UNLV bench.

Actually just got off the phone with a booster (the one who's name is on the new UNLV practice facility) and he's well aware of who Vaughn is, says Vaughn will be sitting a row away from him tonight, and he thinks they're strongly in the running for Vaughn. I doubt it. Here's hoping the Illini put a B1G beat down on the Rebels tonight.

This Wisconsin team is a lot better then last years. Ryan can teach defense and offensively they are loaded with shooters. Top 3 finish minimum.

Winasota your first two tiers look much like everyone else's.
Your tier 3 has similar teams to most: Ill, MN, Indiana, Purdue. But, you have NW and Nebraska there and Penn st at the bottom. I think those 3 are the bottom of the league. I think the most likely B1G team to underachieve is Indiana, and the one most likely to suprise is MN or Illinois.

Yeah, I would say this year the B1G is quite predictable as to where people will generally finish.... My point was that MSU is quite a bit ahead of everyone, and from what I saw, I don't think the Badgers are world beaters. At the beginning of the year I expected that guard heavy lineup to be effective, but if the two games (I'm well aware of the small sample size so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt) are any indicator of future results, I don't think Wisconsin will be able to keep up with some of the higher powered offenses they may run into in the B1G this year.

I'm afraid to say this because Bo Ryan just wins with nothing.... But I do not like this years Wisconsin Team as much as I thought I would coming into the season.

After watching the UW UWGB game live, and then reading about the UND game makes me think this might be a weak defensive team, GB scored quite easily despite not having any shooters to speak of and their big man on the bench most of the game, and then UND puts up 80+!?!? I don't see the uptempo style, I see a slow it down ugly streaky team that in some games will play uptempo because they cannot stop anyone with their slow grabby guards. Jackson, Gasser, Brust are 2 to 3 steps slower than almost every teams #1 and #2 guard. UWGB's PG Sykes (tremendous talent) made them look SLOOOOOW.

MSU By a mile
Iowa, OSU Michigan and Wisconsin make up a level 2 which is lower than we all think
Illinois, NW, NE, Gophs, Indiana, Purdue for Tier 3
PSU on the bottom

I know Wisconsin struggled at UWGB (who is picked to win the Horizon) but did you also see MSU struggle against a bad Columbia team and Portland, both at home? Outside of the first half of Kentucky, MSU hasn't blown me away. I wouldn't consider them a mile in front of the other top B10 teams (MI, UW, OSU, IA). I think MSU will win the conference, but not by a mile...maybe a game or two.

Before Maui - 6th or 7th
After Maui - 10th or 11th

Where do they rank? Near the bottom....

I know Wisconsin struggled at UWGB (who is picked to win the Horizon) but did you also see MSU struggle against a bad Columbia team and Portland, both at home? Outside of the first half of Kentucky, MSU hasn't blown me away. I wouldn't consider them a mile in front of the other top B10 teams (MI, UW, OSU, IA). I think MSU will win the conference, but not by a mile...maybe a game or two.
Very good points, could have been a couple off nights as UW is looking quite good right now.

Top Bottom