Where Are We Headed

The offense is completely different than two years ago

I agree it isn’t very good but to say it isn’t changing outs you as not very knowledgeable
So you expect the offense to change and get better? I don’t, that’s what I was saying. It’s obvious this offense is different than the last 7 years.

What is the Gophers' current identity as a team? There are identities you forge, and identities that are forced upon you. I know the Gophs are trying to forge a positive identity for the team, and the players are trying hard. You can tell. But the identity being forced upon the Gophers is that of a team that cannot compete (or perhaps chooses to "turtle") in the 2nd half of games. A team that, once half-time adjustments are made, almost always comes out on the short end. Here are the 2ND HALF scoring stats in the Gophers' past 12 Power 5/4 contests--comprising the entire 2023 season and 2024 to date. It ain't pretty.

2024:
Loss to Iowa, 0-24
Loss to UNC, 3-12
2023:
Loss to Wisconsin, 0-14
Loss to Ohio State, 3-24
Loss to Purdue, 10-21
Loss to Illinois, 9-13
Win over Michigan State, 17-6
Win over Iowa, 9-0
Loss to Michigan, 0-28
Loss to Northwestern, 3-27 (worse than 2024 Iowa collapse, given opponent)
Loss to UNC, 3-10
Win over Nebraska, 10-10

I have no idea what adjustments the Gophers are making at half-time. Obviously, they are making adjustments. But the developing trend is that the Gophers are generally competitive in the first half and then give up substantial ground, and sometimes implode, in the 2nd half. Don't want to pretend that I have any ideas how to shake this developing "identity." Just pointing out the trend--which bodes poorly for the season. And is the principal challenge for our Coordinators, if we hope to win some B1G games in 2024.
So what you are saying is we’re averaging less than 6 points a game in the 2nd half over 12 games!!!!. Who does that fall on?????? The OC!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has to be one of the worst offenses in Power 4. Great post!!! It was all Ciarrocca!!!

The Gophers have been identity-less on offense without KC. I still don't understand what offense Harbaugh is trying to run. It feels like it is bad at everything.

KC's spread offense worked well and left the the opposing safeties in conflict. With Harbaugh, there isn't any real repeatable strategy or identity behind the offense. He'll go from air raid to power running scheme. That doesn't work.

I would much rather watch a team with an identity. Was Nebraska's defense a little tough to watch while it switched to a 3-3-5 under Rhule? Yes, but I can see it improving. Is Wisconsin struggling with their transition to an air raid offense? Hell yeah, but at least I understand what they are trying to do.

I don't understand Minnesota's offense. That makes it boring to watch. And, maybe I just don't get it, but it isn't putting up points so not only is it boring, it's also not performing.

Fleck says he wants an elite team but he has an offense that's a master of nothing.

There's no identity. The QB leaves after this year so there's no improvement to root for. I cannot remember a worse offensive line at Minnesota.

I said it two weeks ago and I'll say it again now. Harbaugh should be fired tomorrow. Not at the end of the year. If he makes it to the end of the year, then Fleck should be fired.

The Gophers had two great offensive drives last week and then completely fell apart. They need to try something different. If Fleck honestly believes that Simon is so incompetent as to not be able to handle play-calling duties, then he should go out and hire Joe Rudolph.

Last edited:

So you expect the offense to change and get better? I don’t, that’s what I was saying. It’s obvious this offense is different than the last 7 years.
They’re definitely trying to change. Which is what you asked for. I’m not convinced the change is what’s important. Right now what’s hurting them is the fact they can’t run the ball because even with a potential first round pick OL guy the rest of the OL doesn’t seem good enough to run right now.

Stated the way you stated it this time, I don’t disagree with you as much.

Top Bottom