Where are the Gophers strengths?

EG#9

Reaction score
I mentioned most of this in previous post, but I thought I might get more replies with a new thread. At what positions are the Gophers strong compared to the rest of the Big Ten?

My picks:

WR: Decker might be the best in the Big Ten and Stoudermire and Green are talented. I think there is potential with McKnight and possibly Carpenter.

TE: Tow-Arnett is a good Big Ten TE and Curtis Hughes seems to do a nice job as a blocker. I was excited about Lair as a recruit and he showed nice run skills on that reverse he ran against Wisconsin

DT: I am not sure we are above average here (due to lack of a pass rush), but we are at least average with Brown and Small inside. I haven't noticed as many big plays from Brown this year, but Small seems to have more than he made last year. Kirksey and Edwards have had their moments as backups.

LB: Like DT this is debateable. Maybe I am overrating this group, but I think Campbell, Triplett, and Lawrence are right around Big Ten average. Cooper has shown to be a solid 4th option.

Strengths:
Special Teams: Staudamire is all over the place, He's having a great year
Defense: Hands down the LB core has been pretty solid, even though most of their tackles are 5 yards down the field.
Offense: Decker obviously amazing, that's about it. Jay Thomas should be getting more carries, disappointing with his lack of involvement

Coming up with uniform combinations?

Very good addition with the special teams. The punting has been much better than expected and the kick returns from Stoudermire have been great.

Answer: Beating up on teams inferior in talent to them.

Seriously, an upset is called an upset because it tends to be unpredictable (case in point PU over OSU). I don't think we can consistently "expect" our team to pull off an upset.

strengths:

incomplete passes
INTs
runs for losses
0-8 in trophy games (very strong in this one)

Weaknesses:

solid mustard home uniforms
Long lines at the concession stands at the new stadium.
only third in the nation in "JumboTrons".

This team is fast, they just aren't very strong. Hopefully more time in the weight room will fix that. Wisconsin and Penn State have both been able to push them around.

On offense and defense I can think of two each

Eric Decker and Troy Stoudimire are both play makers and have a chance to make things happen if they get the ball in space and get a lot toches. Both players have good hands and catch what they can reach. On defense, Lee Campbell and Nate Tripplet are both tough, good tacklers and do not get beat one on one on fields with good turf, where they do not slip and where the D-line can keep them clean. I would include Lawrence in this group of two but they are getting him eaten up supporting the defensive ends and he is getting swallowed up there a lot. Ahtletic kid that has talent and might play on Sundays. Eric Small and Garret Brown do get off the snap of the ball well and can force a play to the ends. I like Small he steps up and has made plays that have forced turnovers from time to time. We need a lot more to hang the hat on a nail though. There isn't a lot that you could say, yes we are really good at that. Maybe next year or as the years wear on.

Its unfortunate that Kim Royston has to make tackles from his position. But he is a sure tackler by the time the offensive players get to him.

As documented, the Gs have some, but not

many strengths relative to their BT opponents...esp the biggies. In a nutshell, after decades of neglect, that is the main program problem Brew was hired to correct. Will he be successful in that objective...and just as importantly looking down the road...as a winning BT HC?

Top Bottom