When you are wrong, you are wrong...

csom_1991

Reaction score
I posted this back after a beer soaked day following a beat down, and I have never been happier to admit that I was wrong. I am so happy how things seemed to have changed and I think it probably all flows from Nelson and an improvement in execution. My complaints were:

“The reasons why I am disappointed:
1.) Nelson - I was hoping that Nelson could develop into something very special and be a 4 year starter. If you remember his first couple of games last year, the board and media was really high on his potential to finally bring a real B1G QB to the Gophers. Now, I will admit that I am an Adam Weber fan so I would have been ecstatic if Nelson had just turn in similar numbers over his career here (I know for a lot of people here, that is not close to enough). Now, not even 5 games into his second season and he is an after thought.”

Nelson's poise, leadership, and control of the offense put that concern to bed and I think the chances of him being a 4 year starter and producing numbers on Weber’s level are very realistic. In college, a better than average QB can get you 6-7 wins on that fact alone. An all B1G QB with a decent supporting cast can get 10+ wins. I think Nelson can be that type of player if he keep progressing (less poor throws mainly/stays healthy).

“What I hated about Brewster is that he took the one part of our team that actually worked - ZBS, and change it to something that would not work with the players we had on the team. I would have much more faith in Kill if he had a system like the ZBS where we are able to compete with bigger/stronger DL from the better teams and truly make it simply about execution. If ZBS is executed correctly, you can win with smaller, less talented players. With Kill's system, we need both superior player development versus other teams and execution because we are going strength on strength....we aren't going to win that way. “

I am going to give myself partial credit on this one. Gameplanning was the missing x-factor vs. Iowa and Michigan. Against NE, our coaches won the game. Further, with both running and passing games executing, it really is a 1+1=3 (recruits, this isn't the answer on your SAT) situation. Our running game really opened up the passing game this week and if Nelson keeps it going, we are going to be able to move the ball against pretty much anyone.

I doubt anyone made to the end of this, but if you did, I think you would share my enthusiasm about the way this team has really turned around the issues that were the biggest factors in the losses. I know most of you will laugh when I say I would love to have Nelson ring up stats close to Weber, but I think the Gophers could be 10+ wins if he did now that we finally discovered how to play defense for the first time since Hoffman and crew graduated.

Cheers!

But I would try to stay away from comparing the two quarterbacks.

Nelson and Leidner will probably split time in the coming years more and more.

That will lead to less stats probably. But hopefully more wins!

Go gophers!

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Since this is an "Admit I was Wrong" Topic....Let's not forget the Berkley Edwards playing last week that I put out there. Folks...I was wrong.

Bold prediction for Penn State on Saturday: PAIN!

I clicked on this thread by mistake. I am never wrong. (Just thought I would beat station19 with this post.)

Time to fess up.

I picked the Gophers to lose the last three games on Dr. Don's pick the score.

Confession: After winning earlier in the year, I have opted out of participating in Dr. Don's contest the last three weeks. I missed the NW game, and we won. Can't change things now. Sorry Dr. Don.

Cheers!

But I would try to stay away from comparing the two quarterbacks.

Nelson and Leidner will probably split time in the coming years more and more.

That will lead to less stats probably. But hopefully more wins!

Go gophers!

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

If I recall correctly (I'm on a plane and not in front of a stat sheet) Leidner has fumbled the ball 4/5 times, threw a pick 6, threw it in the defenses hands for possible INTs, takes sacks because he can't get the ball out of his hands, and most often stares down his receivers. I like that we Mitch on the team but his roll is backup - preriod. I agree with 1991 on this. A winning team starts with a talented QB and we have one. Let's hope and pray Nelson stays healthy. BTW - I sure would like another crack at Iowa and Michigan!! Go Gophers!

I'm proud to say I have been wrong about this team as well. After the first six games, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by what I was seeing. The progress that has been made over the past three weeks has been remarkable however. Honestly, the team has already exceeded my expectations for the season. Everything after this is gravy to me. Still, would like to see another win or two at least! :eek:

I'm proud to say I have been wrong about this team as well. After the first six games, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by what I was seeing. The progress that has been made over the past three weeks has been remarkable however. Honestly, the team has already exceeded my expectations for the season. Everything after this is gravy to me. Still, would like to see another win or two at least! :eek:

I am right there with you in regards to the first 6 weeks. Looking at this team now and the strides that have been made it is clear to see that a return to Mason levels is a virtual lock with this coaching staff, question now becomes can they identify enough talent to take that step Mason never could and push the program to new heights. This season has been a definite step in the right direction (my metric for buying into the improvement talk was more conference wins then last year, and we are there already with at least 1 winnable game remaining on the schedule). I still have some doubts about this staff's ability to bring the team to the promised land but I am willing to admit that they have exceeded my expectations to date. Beating Penn State and finishing .500 in the Big Ten would be a great accomplishment in year 3 and would be on par with some of the high win total seasons this staff has produced at lower level conferences in year 3.

If I recall correctly (I'm on a plane and not in front of a stat sheet) Leidner has fumbled the ball 4/5 times, threw a pick 6, threw it in the defenses hands for possible INTs, takes sacks because he can't get the ball out of his hands, and most often stares down his receivers. I like that we Mitch on the team but his roll is backup - preriod. I agree with 1991 on this. A winning team starts with a talented QB and we have one. Let's hope and pray Nelson stays healthy. BTW - I sure would like another crack at Iowa and Michigan!! Go Gophers!

Have looked and can't find where you can get "fumbles" not just fumbles "lost". Can you tell me where you found those.

Can't fess-up to how they'd do overall because I had no IDEA how they'd do in the Big Ten. Will admit that after they played Nelson at Iowa and then both Nelson and the staff said he was still hurting that bothered me. Then after the abysmal 2nd Half against Michigan was worried that it was "over Johnny".

Wrong BIG time on that.

Can't fess-up to how they'd do overall because I had no IDEA how they'd do in the Big Ten. Will admit that after they played Nelson at Iowa and then both Nelson and the staff said he was still hurting that bothered me. Then after the abysmal 2nd Half against Michigan was worried that it was "over Johnny".

Wrong BIG time on that.

To me that just spoke to where Leidner was at. I really think they were surprised at how well he did in MI.

I would like to say that I have had this team winning 8 games from before the season started. I hope I am wrong and we get to 9 or 10.

To me that just spoke to where Leidner was at. I really think they were surprised at how well he did in MI.

True and maybe in hindsight that was right. But since it was a confession thread, after the way Leidner played against SJSU and then hearing that Nelson was still hurting, then no, can't say I was happy about it. :eek:

I would like to say that I have had this team winning 8 games from before the season started. I hope I am wrong and we get to 9 or 10.

Nice work Philly. I will admit, I had this team at 6-6 again this year, with 2 conference wins over Iowa and IU, with the caveat that we would see improved play down the stretch, but it would not quite translate into victories. Thrilled to have all my expectations already exceeded at this point in the season. Now I'm hungry for more.

I posted this before the NW game. Seems as if the guys have given us all a huge lift lately and are playing some darn good ball.

Bayfieldgopher
Bayfieldgopher is online now Senior Member

Default I could use a boost

There hasn't been much to get excited about lately with our Gophers. Of course having Coach Kill on a leave is a huge downer. Add in starting off 0-2 in the BIG and very quiet on the recruiting front.

I have watched a few BIG games the past two weekends and noticed that the Gophers seems to lack the players capable of making big plays. The Michigan receivers were a good example. Same with the Wisky D which seems to be loaded with guys who can make plays. It seemed as if NU offense has tons of players capable of moving the sticks. PSU made several huge plays to get into the OT. Nebraska D seems to have improved and MSU all of sudden has a better offense.

Lets hope that the guys show a lot of spark and step with an impressive performance Saturday. We need to start impressing recruits and show them that the staff is capable of doing good things with Jerry in the shadows instead of leading the charge and that the roster has players who can play make plays and are capable of getting the Gophers into the middle of the BIG pack..

Confession: After winning earlier in the year, I have opted out of participating in Dr. Don's contest the last three weeks. I missed the NW game, and we won. Can't change things now. Sorry Dr. Don.

Me as well (both on winning and on dropping out). Gophes have been winning since I stopped guessing the score.

Since this is an "Admit I was Wrong" Topic....Let's not forget the Berkley Edwards playing last week that I put out there. Folks...I was wrong.

Bold prediction for Penn State on Saturday: PAIN!

So are you saying that you were serious when you made that prediction?:rolleyes:

I clicked on this thread by mistake. I am never wrong. (Just thought I would beat station19 with this post.)

So, you're never wrong, but you DO make mistakes? lol

So are you saying that you were serious when you made that prediction?:rolleyes:

No, just pining away to see him break a few. Always good to get some running back talk going.

But according to Mrs. Rescooter, I don't admit I'm wrong enough - this is therapy.

No, just pining away to see him break a few. Always good to get some running back talk going.

But according to Mrs. Rescooter, I don't admit I'm wrong enough - this is therapy.

Thanks - I enjoy your posts and appreciate your excitement. I do expect though as a kid you had a hard time waiting for Christmas also.

Top Bottom