When/where does Kill start recruiting?

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Kind of a pragmatic question, but it will take a week or so to get the staff set but then where do they begin? Do they start with the recruiting list the Brewster team was working from? From their NIU list? Start fresh? Does anyone know how this will work?

I realize we already have 15 commits and keeping them on board is job 1, but we will certainly be looking to add some more.

My guess is they'll be doing a sweep of the top Minnesota kids still uncommitted and then look around the JC ranks for some January grads.

My guess is that Kill and his staff already had some kids they were keeping in contact with in case they had to settle for the MAC. I believe Horton said immediate help is needed at WR, S, and OL so hopefully we can get some good JUCO players at those positions. I personally hope that we will be hiring a couple well regarded recruiters (either from Brewsters staff or someplace else) that have some kids they already have an in with. We were on the other end of that when Kerry Cooks left for Wisconsin.

I would expect his first order of business will be contacting the players who have already committed. Like others said, I'm sure we'll get some kids he was recruiting to NIU and probably some jucos.

From what I've read, he's already been at it. I believe he's called all of them already. And I read an article (think it was St. Paul PP) that said that Horton has helped him set up individual meetings with each of them one on one either this weekend or early next week. And Phil Miller said he's also contacted some un-committed recruits as well.

He knows how important recruiting is...that's why he's not coaching NIU's bowl game.

I spoke with a staff member last night

First, recruiting started with Coach Kill. He has already contacted every existing recruit by phone and connected very well with each of them. The existing recruits are a solid "yes" for coach Kill.

Second, on Saturday, most of the recruits will be in to visit with Coach Kill.

Third, several Minnesota kids will be getting offers who fit coach Kills philosophy, and I believe they may be contacted as early as this week.

Fourth, there is apparently a recruit in California that will be coming in as well. A lot of kids who were ignored are getting second looks because Coach Kill likes the work ethic of our Minnesota recruits.

The staff member I spoke with isn't going anywhere. Has already met with Coach Kill and will be meeting again on Saturday. Nothing but smiles from my friend. I have never seen him so happy about the direction of the football team.

From what I've read, he's already been at it. I believe he's called all of them already. And I read an article (think it was St. Paul PP) that said that Horton has helped him set up individual meetings with each of them one on one either this weekend or early next week. And Phil Miller said he's also contacted some un-committed recruits as well.

He knows how important recruiting is...that's why he's not coaching NIU's bowl game.

What a classy man Horton is. He could have just left after the season/after Kill was announced, but instead has continuously reached out to help the program advance. Amazing

First, recruiting started with Coach Kill. He has already contacted every existing recruit by phone and connected very well with each of them. The existing recruits are a solid "yes" for coach Kill.

Second, on Saturday, most of the recruits will be in to visit with Coach Kill.

Third, several Minnesota kids will be getting offers who fit coach Kills philosophy, and I believe they may be contacted as early as this week.

Fourth, there is apparently a recruit in California that will be coming in as well. A lot of kids who were ignored are getting second looks because Coach Kill likes the work ethic of our Minnesota recruits.

The staff member I spoke with isn't going anywhere. Has already met with Coach Kill and will be meeting again on Saturday. Nothing but smiles from my friend. I have never seen him so happy about the direction of the football team.

Sat is the Day for Minnesota Recruits

What a classy man Horton is. He could have just left after the season/after Kill was announced, but instead has continuously reached out to help the program advance. Amazing

I agree he is classy, but he got a bump in pay and is payed through February. With Kill I expect a much more hard nosed team.

I don't think Horton will be out of work too long. It depends on whether he wants to be a head coach again, or whether he wants to stay a coordinator. If he wants to be a head coach again, it would probably be a level or two down.

I would like to see a effort made on the Minnesota kids that ended up committing to other programs. Why did Farrow change to Virginia Tech.? The OL that is going to evil red. A visit to those kids might be in order.

Did he mean all, or most? I heard M. Vann (LB) may de-committ and that M. LaCosse (Ath) will have to be "recruited" back? Am I wrong, does the staff think everyone is in? That would be good.

Is this a recruit the old staff was recruiting and never offered? Or is this a kid that Kill was recruiting at NIU?

What recruits are visiting on Sat?

Does anyone have any Idea what recruits are meeting with Kill on Sat?:confused:

Does anyone have any Idea what recruits are meeting with Kill on Sat?:confused:

What I've read leads me to believe that everyone who has committed so far will be here and they'll probably bring some other in as well. I'm not 100%, but that's how I interpreted what I read. Brewster left a nice base for Kill. If he can keep all or most of them, he'll have a much easier time convincing others to come. I hope Vann and LaCosse stay with us. They both seem like top-notch kids.

Coach Kill contacted

Tyler Marz from Springfield, a Wisconsin committ, no word on how that went. But the Coach is busy.

Kind of a pragmatic question, but it will take a week or so to get the staff set but then where do they begin? Do they start with the recruiting list the Brewster team was working from? From their NIU list? Start fresh? Does anyone know how this will work?

I realize we already have 15 commits and keeping them on board is job 1, but we will certainly be looking to add some more.

Here are some thoughts on this subject.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=24807

Did he mean all, or most? I heard M. Vann (LB) may de-committ and that M. LaCosse (Ath) will have to be "recruited" back? Am I wrong, does the staff think everyone is in? That would be good.

Is this a recruit the old staff was recruiting and never offered? Or is this a kid that Kill was recruiting at NIU?

Well PT said that he heard all were on board and not going anywhere. As for the California kid, it was part of a more general conversation and I did not question who the kid is. Not part of the focus of our conversation. Whether or not somebody decommits and moves on remains to be seen. Am not going to be poking around more than this.

I do know LaCosse did have an offer from N. Illinois. Pure speculation, be it could be that he liked Kill and the offense he ran, but didn't want to go to a MAC school because he feels he could go to a BCS school. If the coaches see him as a possible QB, then you would think Kill's offense would be a perfect fit for him.

I do know LaCosse did have an offer from N. Illinois. Pure speculation, be it could be that he liked Kill and the offense he ran, but didn't want to go to a MAC school because he feels he could go to a BCS school. If the coaches see him as a possible QB, then you would think Kill's offense would be a perfect fit for him.

LaCosse was recruited here, and obviously willing to commit, as a TE.

Does he contact James Farrow? I know he de-commited to go to VaTech, but that seemed to be because Brew was a total pr*ck to him about wanting to explore his options and he got offended. Think he would look harder at a Gopher team with a real coach and not a "joke" at the helm?..

Top Bottom