When was the last time....

Jeff Horton >> Kirk Ferentz (for one game in November:) Seriously, I agree with you.

Overall, job well done. However, we didn't out coach anybody in the first half. The corners were 12 yards off of their receivers and no adjustments were made until half time.

I wouldn't say out coached but it's refreshing to see the team make half time adjustments and come out and play well in the second half.

A coach who can out coach BCS coaches consistently? Lou Holtz.

I wouldn't say out coached but it's refreshing to see the team make half time adjustments and come out and play well in the second half.

actually, i would say out coached. the first half can mostly be attributed to nerves. gameplan is one part, but the adjustments were huge, especially considering the difference in talent levels between the two squads. for me, they definitely out coached that crew on the other sideline.

and I'm sure it may have happened, but i can't remember when other than maybe last year's finale for the pig.

Tough question to answer.

If you look at preparation, teaching, and instilling a philosophy of believing in your players, I would say Kiffin was outcoached today.

While I would love to trumpet how great this was.. It WAS Kiffin coach Kill was facing today.

But I will say this: Today's game was the first time I've seen the Gophers make halftime adjustments and execute said adjustments, IN MY LIFETIME.

That is the lone bright side of this afternoon, IMO.

While I would love to trumpet how great this was.. It WAS Kiffin coach Kill was facing today.

But I will say this: Today's game was the first time I've seen the Gophers make halftime adjustments and execute said adjustments, IN MY LIFETIME.

That is the lone bright side of this afternoon, IMO.

The lone bright side? Shortell's solid and promising performance, and the fact that we shut out USC in the second half, don't count? I think there are a lot of positives to take from this game.

The lone bright side? Shortell's solid and promising performance, and the fact that we shut out USC in the second half, don't count? I think there are a lot of positives to take from this game.

Shortell was a nice surprise. And I admit I was being melodramatic. But the fact that we shut out USC in the 2nd half is the result of the lone bright side I mentioned.

I liked the adjustment at the half and the fresh legs on Shortell were part of his success. Now, i'll say that the gophers were playing like a MAC coached team in the first half in an attempt to keep the game in hand. This is not a knock but spotting the other team 21 and then crawling back to 17 is pretty much how MAC teams play against the big boys.

I was surprised a the penalties but hearing today there was headset issues does explain at least some of that away. The only other thing that seemed like the old Gophers was the field goal kicking.

Other than that... I saw a resiliency and tenacity that was brand new and a team that just got better as the game went on. I'll chalk that up to good coaching. In hind sight it sure makes sense how UNI came in here to put a scare in the Gophers in Kill's first year and then returned to finish the job two years later.

I was surprised a the penalties but hearing today there was headset issues does explain at least some of that away. The only other thing that seemed like the old Gophers was the field goal kicking.

Other than that... I saw a resiliency and tenacity that was brand new and a team that just got better as the game went on. I'll chalk that up to good coaching. In hind sight it sure makes sense how UNI came in here to put a scare in the Gophers in Kill's first year and then returned to finish the job two years later.

It's NIU.......UNI is Northern Iowa

Stopping USC on mulitiple 4th down runs was huge. Kiffin was over-confident in those calls and it almost cost him the win.

When was the last time a gopher football team shutout a ranked opponent in the second half? When was the last time a gopher team shut out anybody in a second half?

When was the last time a gopher team shut out anybody in a second half?

I think the last time we shut out anyone in the second half was the 2009 Insight Bowl vs Iowa State. Not sure on the ranked opponent part. That surely wasn't during the Brewster era and I'd struggle to find a time we did it during the Mason years.

Top Bottom