When The Final Score Is Posted

husker70

Reaction score
High above the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum it will read

Trojans 21
Visitors 24

In a game where the Gopher defense stuffs the run early and attacks Barkley the men of Troy reduced to one deminsion. Barkely to Woods. Making an intial first down they are stopped and forced to punt. The Gophers start on their 35 and feature a multiple attack. Gray and Bennett are a dual threat and passes to Lair and McKnight are enough to get to the USC 25. Gray sprints to the 5. Three downs and its Minnesota 7 USC 0.

Still focused on defense Barkley goes to a screen game. And USC moves the ball. He hits Woods on a deep dig. The Gophers are being attacked through the air and a series of three step drop passes yield the tying touchdown to Woods.

As the second quarter comes to an end neither team is able to generate anything and they go to lockeroom tied.

As the second half begins Stoudemier breaks a huge return to the USC 15. Gray to Mcknight and its 14-7. And now the game is on.

USC responds with a kickoff of their own. Starting at the Gopher 45, Barkley continues to styme the rush with a three step drop and swing passes to the backs. Taking the ball inside the Gopher 5 two rushing plays reach the 1, and Barkley sneaks over from there. The quarter features each team making a couple first downs and being forced to punt. The Quarter ends 14-14.

The Gophers have the Trojans on the USC 40 and USC is forced to punt, but wait its blocked. Its Michael Carter with the block, and its covered at the USC 25. The Gophers take a shot at the endzone and Lair comes down with it. Gophers 21-USC 14. The clock is now becoming a friend of the Gophers. They have only been beaten by great plays by USC. But another run back to the USC 40. USC needs to score. And Barkley responds. Trojans march 55 yards and score on fade to Woods. 21-21. With less than 3 minutes left in the game. Kiffin believes more in his defense and kicks away, Stoudemier responds. The Gophers start at their 40. The USC defense is blitzing Gray, but he finds Bennett and he takes it to the USC 45. The Gophers run Edwards three times and have a first down at the USC 32. Gray runs an option keeping the ball and taking it to the USC 25 with less than a minute. Edwards gets a first down to the USC 22. And the Gophers take a time out with 5 seconds left. USC responds with their time out to freeze the kicker. The snap, the ball is down, Hawthorne's kick is up, its GOOOOOOOOD!

Love the optimism.

I'll say USC 34 Gophers 16. Gray flashes a few moments of brilliance but turns the ball over twice, and Woods burns us for 120 yards and a couple of scores. Go prove me wrong Gophs!

Been waiting for you Husker. Right on cue.

I think USC has too many playmakers for the Gophers. Stoudamire will have his hands full with Woods and Barkley and big plays will be the difference.

Gophers 17-USC 27

Trojans 37 Gophers 17 - could be worse. New coaches, new QB, new systems, on the road, and at least four turnovers. Hope it's closer...

USC - 28
Gophers - 30

Gray and Bennet each go for over 100 yards, Gohpers control the clock and get some timely completions to McKnight and Lair.

38-17 USC. I think we'll keep it close for a while, and then the difference in talent will show. Much like last years game. I think we'll see enough to like our team and be excited to see what they can do.

31-27 USC

Game is close until late when Kiffin and USC wake up to the fact that they could actually lose. Playmakers make plays, game over in final 3 minutes.
Gray shows alot of rust, but improvises several times spectacularly, Lair is sneaky good early. Defense is good against the run, but struggles to contain Barkley in 3-4 wide sets.
I do expect a good game.

I think the most likely outcome is 31-17 or 31-20. However, I think there is a chance the Gophers pull off an upset.

36-17 USC

I'm hoping we have at least one offensive player surprise us in a positive way.

28-24 Gophs

....and it won't even be that close.

Kill will coach circles around Kiffen and his 5* loaded roster. He's THAT good.

Since 2003 when Kill coached teams lose, they lose by average of about 10-11 points. I will go with USC 31-20. Althought my gut tells me the Gophers are going to win this game. I just like the vibe and knowing they competed last year.

Also in the same time frame from 2003 when teams coached by Kill win, they won by an average of 26 points. Kill has really put some beat downs on teams.

Minnesota-28
USC-24

Minnesota will pull the win out and then reach the B1G and surprise a lot of people.

I'm going 42-14 USC.

Gophers secondary is a huge weak point and we will once again fail to get any pressure on the quarterback. We didn't add any talent at our DE spots and had the second worst sack total in Div 1 football last year. Barkley will have a field day and our injury depleted LB core will get tired and run over by their RB's. Talent disparity is too wide especially when you are opening on the road in a place like the Coliseum with a new coaching staff....

I'm going 42-14 USC.

Gophers secondary is a huge weak point and we will once again fail to get any pressure on the quarterback. We didn't add any talent at our DE spots and had the second worst sack total in Div 1 football last year. Barkley will have a field day and our injury depleted LB core will get tired and run over by their RB's. Talent disparity is too wide especially when you are opening on the road in a place like the Coliseum with a new coaching staff....

I think the DBs are not great but the DEs are a huge liability. We're going to need to be pleasantly surprised with our DEs in order for our defense to show a huge improvement.

I think the DBs are not great but the DEs are a huge liability. We're going to need to be pleasantly surprised with our DEs in order for our defense to show a huge improvement.

I agree.. But I think the problem with last year's defense wasn't due to talent, but to scheme. Of course, we'll have to watch and see how the new scheme works or if it's more of the same.

I agree.. But I think the problem with last year's defense wasn't due to talent, but to scheme. Of course, we'll have to watch and see how the new scheme works or if it's more of the same.
Sure, scheme was part of it but really, if you look at the DEs themselves these are not Div I level guys. Maybe they can become solid Div I DE this season but the stock wasn't high to begin with. I think they'll be better just because Kill is a better coach and the scheme will be better and perhaps the players will actually be taught to play football.

I would be happy to Garin for once, not try to work inside the tackle and hold the edge...just once. He was woefully out of position countless times last year, and I don't think that was lost on the coaches. I'll trust that has been part of his coaching, and if he sees the field it will because he earned it, and the coaches have faith in him.

I agree that scheme had something to do with it but overall I think there is a lack of talent throughtout the defense.

that being said I think the defense will improve over the course of the season. I would like to see a better defense in October than September and a better defense in November than October but ultimately I would still expect them to finish in the bottom 4th of the BIG statistically.

new QB, new coach, new scheme, 1st game on the road against a superior team usually does not bold well.

USC 40
Minnesota 17

Sure, scheme was part of it but really, if you look at the DEs themselves these are not Div I level guys. Maybe they can become solid Div I DE this season but the stock wasn't high to begin with. I think they'll be better just because Kill is a better coach and the scheme will be better and perhaps the players will actually be taught to play football.

Yeah.

I miss Willie VanDeSteeg.

Yeah.

I miss Willie VanDeSteeg.

He was pretty solid, elite at beating people up at the liquor stores.
tongue.png

He was pretty solid, elite at beating people up at the liquor stores.
tongue.png

Hey now.. All that work on Hoese's farm deserves a good beat down release valve. =D

USC 24
Gophers 14
They'll actually look respectable and Coach Kill will have them prepared to be in a good old dogfight. Not enough horses to pull it off, but there's a speck of light at the end of the tunnel which will get much larger as time goes along.

USC 42
Gophers 10

Give 'em time, it's going to take more than spring ball and a few weeks of practice to right this ship. Everybody say it with me now: Concrete, not sand...concrete, not sand...

Top Bottom