When do you bench Tanner?

here's what I can't figure.

Coaches say that pulling the QB will "hurt his confidence."

But apparently, leaving him in the game when he's playing poorly does not hurt his confidence because............reasons?

I will say I am curious to see what happens at the QB position when Morgan is no longer on the roster. If the next QB plays exactly like Morgan, we will get a strong indication that the problem is with how the position is coached.

That is exactly what I was saying when they came out of the half. Give him one series. If he can't get his shit together, give another QB a shot, at least to let Tanner reset, calm down and gather himself.

A guy sitting behind me said this was the first time he ever saw Morgan play. When I told him he was a 5th year senior and this is his 4th year starting, he about fell over. The thing he noticed is he doesn't do progressions very well. He locks in on his primary target. If that guy isn't open "enough", only then does he start his progressions. Then the happy feet come next. By then the line is 4 to 5 seconds into their blocks, which is an eternity. He ends up getting sacked or flushed out not because the line isn't holding, but rather because he is holding the ball too damn long.

They were stacking 7 to 8 in the box ALL GAME. They had 1 safety deep most of the time. They were daring us to throw the ball. The middle of the field 10 to 15 yards past the line of scrimmage was there all game.

It was clear by the 2nd quarter he was rattled. Rattled Tanner is indecisive and often late on throws. He has a tendency to throw short on intermediate to long routes, but then will inexplicably overthrow on others. Receivers were open, if he trusted his arm and hit them in stride. The last interception - Spann-Ford had the linebacker or nickel guy beat and was behind the safety a good 3 to 4 yards. He threw it 7-8 yards short, right to the Illinois guy. Spann-Ford put his hands up in the WTF formation. He gets that ball where it is supposed to be, it very likely goes for a TD.

In the first half, we had a nice drive going with Kramer running the wildcat. He even hit a pass or two out of it. We ripped through midfield and were around the 30. Clearly had the defense on their heels. Then inexplicably we took Kramer out, replaced him with Tanner. Three plays later, it was 4th and 2, and we get stuffed trying to run the damn ball on a handoff out of the pistol/shotgun. If you are going to do that, put Kramer in with LeCaptain as the RB. At least make the defense deal with some bigger beef. It probably gets you the 2 yards and then some you need.

PJ really needs to take stock of his OC and needs to be man enough to sit Tanner for a series or two when he is clearly in his head, rattled and making poor throws/decisions. The defense held Illinois to 250'ish yards of offense and 14 points. They got off to a rocky start with two early scores, but Rossi adjusted and Illinois didn't attempt a FG let alone score again after.

The remaining 3 opponents are going to sell out to stop the run and dare Tanner Morgan to beat them passing. He is good enough to manage a game when he can play off of the run and mix in 15 - 20 passes a game. He is not good enough this year to win a game with his legs and arm throwing 30 or more times a game.
Another fine ruination job on a QB by Sanford & Sons. He has a Midas Muffler touch.

Morgan is playing like the MAC QB he was recruited to be. is not accurate, constantly throws behind his targets, not a very strong arm and if he doesn't get rid of the ball in 2-3 seconds, he bails out of the pocket whether or not there is any pressure. They really need to put Zach in for a series or two and see what he can do

Losing 2 games at home to double digit underdogs while only allowing 14 points in each game should signify that the O needs a jump start
I didn't use to think this post above, but right now Tanner Morgan is playing somewhat like the description above. He has not been accurate this year and constantly throws behind his receivers. There was one throw late on the scoring drive where if he hits Brevyn Spann-Ford in stride, that is a walk in touchdown. Morgan, he has won a lot of football games at QB for the U, but this year has not been up to even past expectations and history. We all saw the pass on the overthrow to #9 Jackson, another opportunity for a walk in touchdown and Morgan threw it 3 to 4 yards too deep. His play today for a Fourth year Senior was not acceptable for a Big 10 level QB and neither was the play of the O-line.

I'd have to think that ZA is just dying to get on the field.

The lack of words in your response has me giving you the same look. Are you confused about something I said? Words help.

You can’t be serious about making a change at QB based on a throw at a spring game.

There.

Zack played several games crippled and ineffective and continued to play until he went to the hospital at halftime without permission from PJ.
Don’t believe that for a minute.

Just take him out for a quarter at the very least. What is the worst that could happen, we don’t score any points? Maybe TM needs a little fear of losing the starting job to settle himself down.

It’s beyond me that these coaches seem to just ride or die with what is in front of them. Coaches sometimes have to make tough decisions to pull someone out and put another in that gives them a better chance to win. When coaches don‘t do that, it shows me they don‘t have the winner/killer instinct. I feel like I’m watching Ted Lasso where wins don’t matter.
I see Iowa switched QB and are winning.(confess I didn’t see WHY they changed only noticed a different name when I was searching.)

You can’t be serious about making a change at QB based on a throw at a spring game.

There.
Correct. I am not. Can't fathom how you came to that conclusion, either. I responded to the question....do we know if anyone else can throw the ball better? I can honestly say, Yes. And provided two player examples of better arms.

Correct. I am not. Can't fathom how you came to that conclusion, either. I responded to the question....do we know if anyone else can throw the ball better? I can honestly say, Yes. And provided two player examples of better arms.

You stated Annexstad throws a better ball which was not at all evident in his freshman season. Could be true now, but I don’t know.

Clark throwing a nice ball at a spring game doesn’t really give me any idea how he’d perform in a real game.

I will offer up that I was an ass in my reply above and am maybe a little chippy today. My apologies for the delivery but I’ll stand by my message.

You stated Annexstad throws a better ball which was not at all evident in his freshman season. Could be true now, but I don’t know.

Clark throwing a nice ball at a spring game doesn’t really give me any idea how he’d perform in a real game.

I will offer up that I was an ass in my reply above and am maybe a little chippy today. My apologies for the delivery but I’ll stand by my message.
Annexstad was under duress constantly due to being an anchor in the pocket. If we think Morgan is bad passing behind this online let's give Annexstad another shot and see what happens.

I think they should have played Kramer today more for no other reason than the QB had no time and we needed someone who could run. Passing wasn't working. No time to throw, no receivers ever open.

I am going to strongly disagree that guys were open. A guy breaking open for a split second 4.5 seconds into a drop when he is the 3-4th progression isn’t open

People complain we don’t run slants anymore. We ran slants all day today and they couldn’t get seperation.

today was a recruiting and/or depth loss at the wideout position
No doubt not having Bateman and TJ has really affected Tanner. In general, you are correct other than CRAB most of our receivers don't get separation but MBS22 was wide open across the middle a few times while TM2 was staring down a different receiver. His 3 second clock has been broken and he does not move through his progressions well.

Just going off the eye test but if you have more or better data, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. I watched Annexstad throw what I consider superior passes in both arm strength and accuracy during the last spring game. We've seen very little of Clark but the two deep balls he's thrown in that small sample size have been pretty darn good. The Maryland toss (it was Maryland, right?) was during the game. I can't recall seeing a deep ball from Kramer, yet.

Both QBs appear to have better accuracy and velocity than what I've seen from Tanner this year. I stand by my answer as well, on these grounds.

Strongly disagree with your analysis
You disagree that he misses open receivers? Because there was plenty open today not sure what you mean. Or you disagree that he lock onto one receiver and stares them down. look at the films he always stares down the receiver he wants to throw to, its been discussed many times on this forum.

No doubt not having Bateman and TJ has really affected Tanner. In general, you are correct other than CRAB most of our receivers don't get separation but MBS22 was wide open across the middle a few times while TM2 was staring down a different receiver. His 3 second clock has been broken and he does not move through his progressions well.
I agree he doesn’t move off progressions well. Missing a guy on 2-3 plays doesn’t equate To guys are open all over the place. For the most part we are running 2 and 3 man routes and no one is open. I’d argue he should throw even if they aren’t open

I would be more optimistic if I thought our coaches were having this conversation. As other posters have said PJF will never bench TM2.

You disagree that he misses open receivers? Because there was plenty open today not sure what you mean. Or you disagree that he lock onto one receiver and stares them down. look at the films he always stares down the receiver he wants to throw to, its been discussed many times on this forum.
There were hardly any open receivers today

so that’s probably what I agree with.

He does lock into one wideout. It’s usually on a one or two man route where the two wideouts are on opposite sides .

He does lock into one wideout. It’s usually on a one or two man route where the two wideouts are on opposite sides .
on1.PNG
two open here and a pick.

I agree he doesn’t move off progressions well. Missing a guy on 2-3 plays doesn’t equate To guys are open all over the place. For the most part we are running 2 and 3 man routes and no one is open. I’d argue he should throw even if they aren’t open

#9 open up top and he rushes itCapture.PNG

Quick pressure and little time to assess options leads to a nervous, inefficient QB.

Capture.PNG
#88 Wide open and still doesn't see him

Quick pressure and little time to assess options leads to a nervous, inefficient QB.

The route calls and progressions were not well thought out. Today was a bad preparation and execution game. I will grant it is tough being down to your 4th and 5th string backs that are inexperienced and don't have man strength yet.

I don't think he had 3 seconds today.

Top Bottom