What's your team worth? WSJ says 139.7 million

MspHawk

Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578225802183417888.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

I saw this on another board and thought it was interesting. The Wall Street Journal has a story today on the value of college football programs if they were like a professional sports franchise.

Among other factors, the study looked at each program's revenues and expenses and made cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections for each school.

Anyway, found this kind of interesting. Hopefully this thread will avoid the usual sniping and cheap shots.

I'm surprised to see Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue ahead of us. Slightly surprised to see Illinois below us.
Would be interesting to see the exact formula used. Sounds like a lot of it was conjecture.

I'm surprised to see Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue ahead of us. Slightly surprised to see Illinois below us.
Would be interesting to see the exact formula used. Sounds like a lot of it was conjecture.

All models are based on assumptions. Change the assumptions and you change the answers. I made a good living doing that.

This program has so underperformed over the years, it really shows me how much the program can really grow. If I am not mistaken the new stadium does nothing for the program? It looks like it.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like facilities were factored in at all. Or geographic location. Or proximity to major sponsors.

Really, this seems like a rather silly exercise to me, especially if a number of factors that go into evaluating the value of a pro sports team are ignored here.

I thought private institutions kept that information private. If so, are those numbers just made up, I mean best guess?

If the universities were to spin off their football teams as businesses, much of this "value" would collapse. If the Texas Longhorns were to become a minor league football team instead of the University of Texas' football team, it would be just another minor league football team.

I am under the impression NCAA Division one football is a minor league.

Top Bottom