What's the chance for a "state of emergency"?

Reaction score
"Ice coated the roads from Indianapolis to Bloomington on Monday night and a wintry mix of freezing rain, sleet and snow was expected to continue into Wednesday.

School officials issued a statement saying they were closely monitoring the weather. But if the Gophers and the officials arrived in town on time, the school said it was "obligated" to play the game unless Monroe County, where Bloomington is located, declared a state of emergency.

Minnesota was in town Tuesday night, team spokesman J.D. Campbell said."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6081016

Play the game. We're there, they're there...who cares if the fans aren't. Postponing it will bring headaches.

Thank you for bringing up this important issue. No one was aware that it may or may not be raining and or snowing somewhere in middle America. Hopefully everyone will have enough provisions.

They'll play it. Indiana people have driven through worse storms to get to hoops games. Besides, there's TV revenue at stake.

This storm that is currently hitting Indiana would be the 5th or 6th worst storm in the twin cities so far this winter. It is funny how a couple hundred miles is the difference between the state of emergency and a long commute.

I do know Butler had no classes today, and already have them canceled tomorrow.

This storm that is currently hitting Indiana would be the 5th or 6th worst storm in the twin cities so far this winter. It is funny how a couple hundred miles is the difference between the state of emergency and a long commute.

I do know Butler had know classes today, and already have them canceled tomorrow.

You do realize they are getting ice, not snow, right? Most would say they would rather get 2 feet of snow than an inch of ice. I don't know if they'll get that much ice or not in the end, but that could knock out power for a week or even longer.

You do realize they are getting ice, not snow, right? Most would say they would rather get 2 feet of snow than an inch of ice. I don't know if they'll get that much ice or not in the end, but that could knock out power for a week or even longer.

If southern Indiana got 2 feet of snow followed by cold weather that did not melt any snow, it would take them weeks to dig out. They simply do not have the plowing capabilities due to the rarity of events such as that.

If an Ice Storm that was expected like this hit Minnesota, there would be power outages and fallen trees due to the ice, but the roads would be in relatively good shape. Only unexpected ice storms really cripple Minnesota roads. Temps are warm enough where chemicals can melt the ice on the roads. (it is currently in the 30s in bloomington indiana).

If the same exact storm hit Minnesota there is a 0% chance a state of emergency is declared. Metro schools would probably be delayed and not canceled.

Don't worry - since both teams are there they will play it. Hopefully Indiana's Assembly Hall looks as empty tomorrow as Illinois' Assembly Hall looks tonight.

I wonder if the BTN will put Illinois PBP-guy Brian Barnhardt on PBP like they did last year when they put PSU-Steve Jones on emergency PBP due to weather at Penn State (Lawrence Westbrook GW) due to weather. Dave Revsine and Jimmy Jackson made it to Champaign tonight, so you never know.

If there's a state of emergency, I say let both teams drive a little south and go play the game in the new Yum Center in Louisville so I could get a chance to go. :p The weather is fine in Louisville!

Umm, everyone that is touting Minnesota handling this blizzard like it were nothing has no clue what they are talking about. I lived in Minnesota for 4 years and I never remember a storm like we are getting in Milwaukee right now. It's insane.

Umm, everyone that is touting Minnesota handling this blizzard like it were nothing has no clue what they are talking about. I lived in Minnesota for 4 years and I never remember a storm like we are getting in Milwaukee right now. It's insane.

weren't here in December huh?

The most serious issue is addressed by us Norwegians: "Cold enough fer ya den?"

Top Bottom