What's the Better Coaching Job - Nebby or BADgerland?

What's the Better Coaching Job - Nebby or BADgerland?

• Nebby

• BADgerland

• I'll Stay Unemployed...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd pick Nebraska for lots of reasons but the biggest one? Who is my boss? Nebraska AD seems like a straight shooter. He gave Frost a lot of rope. WI guy fired a coach with a record that deserved at least some patience. Wisconsin could still win the West! (And for you guys who think that's a reason to fire him now...I don't want to work for that guy. He does not have my back.And he'll be just as impatient with the new guy, if he doesn't win. It's hard to win with an AD that is weak)

I figure if I had my choice of these two jobs, I could also get Arizona State.

So I would take that one.

I figure if I had my choice of these two jobs, I could also get Arizona State.

So I would take that one.

Yes, in some ways Az State could be preferable over both of the Big Ten jobs. However, it hasn't been the easiest place to win in recent years. Over the last 20 seasons (not counting the short pandemic year), they've had only 7 seasons of 8 wins or more; the same number as Minnesota over that period. Maybe wins will come easier with USC leaving the conference.

WisconSIN is primarily a pro-football state where the Packers overshadow the BADgers. In Nebraska, it's just the Huskers, no in-state competition so all fans flock to them.

Being the biggest game in the state can be a double edged sword and may not be for everyone. I lived in eastern Iowa during the basketball tenures of Lute Olson and George Raveling and the early part of the Tom Davis' period. Lute Olson eventually tired of living in a fishbowl and Raveling only made it three years before going to Los Angeles to coach USC. There's something to be said about being able to go out for a night on the town without everyone knowing who you are, watching you, and more than a few wanting to talk to you.

Nebraska. They have recruited higher ranked classes than Wisconsin most years, even when they have been losing. They just need a good coach who can develop the talent when it gets on campus. They have more NIL money than Wisconsin, easier to get recruits into school there than Madison, and better facilities.
‘Easier to get recruits into school’ myth. That ended with the 1980s. See Brent Moss.

Nebraska. Still have national following. Sell out every game even at 3-9 record. You can win there. Should also be able to recruit for those reasons.

I'm convinced a good coach should do very well at NEB.

100%. Not even a question. The commitment to football in Lincoln will always be greater than with the delusional skunks.

Of course Nebraska will never get back to where they were; but Wisconsin never remotely got to where Nebraska was. Wisky has been a wanna-be for the last 20+ years, never able to take the next step.

Wisconsin (including their AD) is truly delusional. A nearly impossible w/l bar for any new coach to meet or exceed. Huge Hindenburg potential for next coach.

Nebraska is a few decades away from their glory years. They would (for the most part) probably be somewhat satisfied just getting back to a competitive level, much less competing for championships. Crawl, then walk.

Nebraska likely has better NIL sponsors/donors/bribes. Neither has fertile recruiting grounds but Nebraska typically garners top 20-25 classes year in and year out.

Winner: Nebraska and it isn’t that close.
Pretty much nailed it here, across the board.

If you've ever been anywhere near the city of Lincoln on game day, you would know this is not remotely a debate.

Nebraska, easily. No pro sports in the state to compete for fan or media attention. While there aren't pro franchises in Madison, there are in Green Bay and Milwaukee. I don't know what caused Nebraska to slip from the normal national power status to the bottom of the BiG, but I'd expect them to recover quickly.

The "Pair and a Spare" podcast brought up this question. I'm going with Nebby because of the NIL money that Nebby can offer 'cruits. WisconSIN is primarily a pro-football state where the Packers overshadow the BADgers. In Nebraska, it's just the Huskers, no in-state competition so all fans flock to them.
I hate to say it but Nebraska could be a beast sometime in the future with NIL. They could have better support than anyone in the B1G other than Ohio State, Mich, and Penn St.

I hate to say it but Nebraska could be a beast sometime in the future with NIL. They could have better support than anyone in the B1G other than Ohio State, Mich, and Penn St.

Yup. I don't know if they ever COULD, but if they ever managed to hire a mega-name like Lincoln Riley or that caliber, combined with NIL these days and the portal transfers, they could turn it around in 12-18 months. Just not sure they can ever attract that kind of name coach.

I have been informed the Cepheus stuff and Chryst’s defense of him may have put him on an unspoken short leash amongst some in Madison.

Top Bottom