What's so hard about finding Maroon??

magpie

Banned
Reaction score
Brewster made sure to design the new jerseys in the proper maroon, the stadium seats are the same maroon as Mariucci... but why the hell can't they use maroon chalk on the field? They spend millions on making this stadium absolutely perfect, only to screw it up on some cheap side note that's only in the CENTER of the entire stadiums view point. It looks ridiculous to have maroon seats and this reddish crap on our field.

Anyone know why this is the case?

As near as I can tell, the "reddish crap" you refer to is on the field, on the stadium sinage, on the bleacher seatback rentals, etc. etc. etc. Basically, it is EVERYWHERE in the stadium... except the 'bucket' seats in the stadium, and the player uniforms, and the band uniforms (all three of which are darker). I went to a high school that had maroon and gold as school colors and a yearly athletic budget of about $2,000 and all the maroon among the teams and fields/courts matched. It is unfortunate for TCF but not a show stopper.

This has been discussed A LOT on this board.

Brewster made sure to design the new jerseys in the proper maroon, the stadium seats are the same maroon as Mariucci... but why the hell can't they use maroon chalk on the field? They spend millions on making this stadium absolutely perfect, only to screw it up on some cheap side note that's only in the CENTER of the entire stadiums view point. It looks ridiculous to have maroon seats and this reddish crap on our field.

Anyone know why this is the case?

A couple of ideas:
Seats: Not the correct Maroon. Maybe they match Mariucci but all that means is that both are wrong. None of the colors in the U's Graphic Standards have a purplish tint. Something tells me that might be an issue with the materials used in the seats. It is important to note that the U's color standards are for print/web use but one would hope that they try to stay consistent in other areas as well.

Uniforms: These also seem to be an incorrect maroon by the U's standards. Its possible that they are the same as the "dark maroon item" shown in the standards, but they look more brownish than that.

Basically the issue is that the "reddish crap" is closer to the "standard maroon" then the uniforms or the seats. As I've said before, the block M is the same on the field as it is on the scoreboard and both the block M and and end zones match the other signage @ TCF more closely IMO then the unis or the seats.

Best solution, chill out and realize that when the stadium is full a huge part of the "problem" goes away.

I know I haven't been able to sleep at night because of it.

As near as I can tell, the "reddish crap" you refer to is on the field, on the stadium sinage, on the bleacher seatback rentals, etc. etc. etc. Basically, it is EVERYWHERE in the stadium... except the 'bucket' seats in the stadium, and the player uniforms, and the band uniforms (all three of which are darker). I went to a high school that had maroon and gold as school colors and a yearly athletic budget of about $2,000 and all the maroon among the teams and fields/courts matched. It is unfortunate for TCF but not a show stopper.

This has been discussed A LOT on this board.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can get an explanation from the U as to what the deal is. Obviously some of the colors are wrong, so which ones and why? I don't care one way or the other (it bugs me but not enough to get cranky over) but it would cut down on all this needless speculation and bickering.

I know I haven't been able to sleep at night because of it.

I've had nightmares where my maroon socks don't match and I'm being chased across the field @ TCF by a rainbow colored Goldy...

This wouldn't have been a problem if they had made everything gold. After all, that's the real school color.

I've had nightmares where my maroon socks don't match and I'm being chased across the field @ TCF by a rainbow colored Goldy...

Ya know, I have that same nightmare. So I looked it up here.

Something is interesting according to dreammoods.com, The pursuer or attacker who is chasing you, that being the Rainbow Goldy, may also represent an aspect of yourself. Your own feelings of anger, jealousy, fear, and possibly love, can assume the appearance of threatening figure ... You may be projecting these feelings onto the unknown chaser. Next time you have a chase dream, turn around and confront your pursuer. Ask them why they are chasing you. Perhaps you are running away from something. What are you trying to run from?

This wouldn't have been a problem if they had made everything gold. After all, that's the real school color.

I fully smell the sarcasm youre throwing out there, but i'll just say this:

Gold is the preferred gameday color of the U. Maroon is the primary academics/everyday school color. The Athletics department has been reinforcing this position for years now.

Notice the flags outside of Williams, Mariucci, or the Sports Pavilion are maroon everyday... except for the day of a game in that particular venue, when they fly the gameday gold flags. You will likely see the same symbolic color scheme at the new stadium.

A couple of ideas:
Seats: Not the correct Maroon. Maybe they match Mariucci but all that means is that both are wrong. None of the colors in the U's Graphic Standards have a purplish tint. Something tells me that might be an issue with the materials used in the seats. It is important to note that the U's color standards are for print/web use but one would hope that they try to stay consistent in other areas as well.

Regardless of what the standard is, I've always felt that a dark Maroon is ideal. It should look like dried blood - the same color as a Gopher letterman's jacket.

Then why didn't they make the seats gold?

Because they are counting on your gold-wearing hind end to cover it up during the game. Or at least standing/cheering in front of it.

Then why didn't they make the seats gold?

I would venture that its because the MINNESOTA looks better as gold on maroon when the stadium is empty (be it from the air or street level).

Does anyone know if they have ever done all gold uniforms?

I think the problem may be that the U allows 3 different shades of maroon. One maroon is the primary color of maroon and there are also lighter and darker allowed secondary versions/shades. Why not just pick ONE color of maroon and use it for everything?!

It seems like the secondary shades of maroon are listed just so if a maroon doesn't match, the U can say it is using the secondary maroon color so it is ok.

Does anyone know if they have ever done all gold uniforms?

Jesus man...knock it off. Your deadpan comments get me laughing and then I PO the guy in the cube next to me. :)

I think the problem may be that the U allows 3 different shades of maroon. One maroon is the primary color of maroon and there are also lighter and darker allowed secondary versions/shades. Why not just pick ONE color of maroon and use it for everything?!

It seems like the secondary shades of maroon are listed just so if a maroon doesn't match, the U can say it is using the secondary maroon color so it is ok.

I can understand the secondary shades for web/print stuff (keeps it from being bland and is less of an issue from a branding perspective) but I completely agree that the U needs to establish THE maroon and gold colors for uniforms/logos/etc and stick to it so that a better brand can be built for athletics purposes.

I feel dpdoll had some bad experience as a child with a man covered in gold (ala Tobias Funke in blue) as a child that game him some aversion to color.

To be honest the lighter shade of maroon looks a lot better on the field at TCF than the dark shade at the dome or even at the Insight Bowl. The lighter shade just pops more with the field. I just drove by the stadium and even though the maroons don't match, all of the colors look fresh and bold. Plus a slightly different shade between field and uniforms gives a nice contrast. Much more interesting to the eye. After all, you all are talking about it. It obviously got your attention

I will punch the ear of the next person that complains about the shades of maroon . I guess I'm just not wired that way but holy balls I can't wait until we can start talking football again.

I wish the shades of maroon in the stadium matched.

have at it...

images

Consider yourself e-punched by one badass internet tough guy :)

but why the hell can't they use maroon chalk on the field? QUOTE]

It is not chalk or paint on the field. The actual synthetic "grass" is a color. The grass on the field lines are white. The "grass" is green. The M and endzone "grass" is maroon. It is not quite as easy as painting it a new color.

It's not even that noticable to me when you're on the field. Plus, as others say, people will be sitting in the seats. As long as all the maroon on the field match, who cares.

Would you rather the end zones be the "gold" that used to be in the Humpty Dump?

Top Bottom