Whatever the Decision It Won't Be Mainly Based on Cost

Funny...one sport out of 18 that can survive without football...except the training table, weight room, practice areas, etc all exist because football exists.

The day to day costs of running a sports team don't stop with what they need today...what about all the infrastructure, marketing, ticket sales, compliance issues...huge dollars are required to run a big ten sports program beyond just the team needs.

Thus proving once again that Sansevere is a moron who plays with tiny ponies.
Plus if Minnesota doesn't have football they aren't in the big ten originally. Without big ten membership even the academic side suffers.

Why does everyone around here want Fleck? If he has any type of success here he is gone to a "better" program instantly.

Remind me again of the last time a Minnesota football coach left due to success?

Remind me again of the last time a Minnesota football coach left due to success?

Good point but in the public's mind, that gets tied into all the pro players that demanded to get out of here and the local 4* - 5* High School Basketball and Football players who went to D-1 schools out of state.

Maybe not fair, but that's the major cause of the worry. If they are good enough to be in demand elsewhere they go elsewhere.

I should just let this go, as it outs me as listening to Bob Sansevere's podcast, but he had Mike Gelfand on today and he not only said that the U athletic department bleeds money every year, but on top of that, sports like volleyball could get along just fine if they did away with football altogether.

Just stop it. Just say no.

Good point but in the public's mind, that gets tied into all the pro players that demanded to get out of here and the local 4* - 5* High School Basketball and Football players who went to D-1 schools out of state.

Maybe not fair, but that's the major cause of the worry. If they are good enough to be in demand elsewhere they go elsewhere.

Players leave because Minnesota teams pro and college have failed to win at a high level for a very long time. When was the last time a coach from any winning Minnesota team, or a player left or turned down a winning Minnesota team to go elsewhere?

Players leave because Minnesota teams pro and college have failed to win at a high level for a very long time. When was the last time a coach from any winning Minnesota team, or a player left or turned down a winning Minnesota team to go elsewhere?

Missed the "Good point" in my response, you don't think one thing has anything to do with the other in the public's mind or just trying to be a dick?

Sure, happens all the time in the MAC, which makes sense. How often does it really happen in the B1G?

Bert and throw in Gary Anderson, even though both came into a Wisconsin program that was already successful, and well established. Take Anderson's two years at WI out and he's well under .500 as HC.

Saban left based on one good season at MSU. Barnett left NW well under .500 as HC, and had only 2 winning seasons.

Missed the "Good point" in my response or just trying to be a dick?

No not at all. My first point was specifically tied to the U. You brought up pro sports, which I wasn't thinking of but I was just reiterating that the point still stands for them as well. If players and coaches come to Minnesota and win, they haven't left. Holtz is the only one I can think of.

Leaving because of winning should be the last concern. Players have only left or not committed here because of losing, not winning.

Sure, happens all the time in the MAC, which makes sense. How often does it really happen in the B1G?

Bert and throw in Gary Anderson, even though both came into a Wisconsin program that was already successful, and well established. Take Anderson's two years at WI out and he's well under .500 as HC.

Saban left based on one good season at MSU. Barnett left NW well under .500 as HC, and had only 2 winning seasons.

Right so what you're saying is that winning coaches in the B1G don't generally leave for better jobs. That's exactly my point and why I said it should be the least of a fans concerns if they hire a new coach.

I should just let this go, as it outs me as listening to Bob Sansevere's podcast, but he had Mike Gelfand on today and he not only said that the U athletic department bleeds money every year, but on top of that, sports like volleyball could get along just fine if they did away with football altogether.

I listened to that last night. Almost vomited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right so what you're saying is that winning coaches in the B1G don't generally leave for better jobs. That's exactly my point and why I said it should be the least of a fans concerns if they hire a new coach.

Yep, I see you clarified in subsequent posts.

No not at all. My first point was specifically tied to the U. You brought up pro sports, which I wasn't thinking of but I was just reiterating that the point still stands for them as well. If players and coaches come to Minnesota and win, they haven't left. Holtz is the only one I can think of.

Leaving because of winning should be the last concern. Players have only left or not committed here because of losing, not winning.

Understood and thanks. Holtz, Marbury, Knoblauch, Gugliotta, Jim Finks, Andy MacPhail, ; they all left winning teams in Minnesota for better situations. Most of them at least. Now throw in the High School stars and all the people who just head to warmer climates period. That all weighs in on people's fears that once somebody can, they will leave.

It also would be remiss to leave Glen Mason out of this. After 2 or 3 decent seasons but BEFORE his best season at Minnesota Glen very publicly lobbied for the tOSU job. Gotta believe that plays into people anxieties as well.

You are absolutely right about winning coaches leaving. My only point was if you ask people about that they'll respond with the names of a lot of athletes that left maybe even a few celebrities. Or just say "they all leave."

But successful Coaches? Nope. Well, strike that. Mason was successful and he tried like hell in 2000/2001 to get out of here!

Happy New Year, almost, GWG!

Only if expenses were payed for from the general fund and several sports were dropped like men's baseball and woman's softball, selling the land that TFC bank stadium sits on.

Top Bottom