Whatever happened to Alipate?

maliksealy

Reaction score
The guy has never seen the field. Kind of crazy weird. Although he wasn't every gonna play in front of Gray or Weber..guess he should've found a different position earlier?

From gophersports.com:
2012 • JUNIOR SEASON: Did not see any game action • moved from quarterback to tight end prior to 2012 spring practice.

2011 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Did not see any game action.

2010 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Did not see any game action.

2009: Redshirted.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2009 graduate of Bloomington Jefferson High School (Minn.) • ranked as the No. 2 player in the state of Minnesota by Rivals.com • ranked as the No. 11 quarterback and the No. 128 player in the nation by ESPN.com • No. 19 "pro-style" quarterback in the country, according to Rivals.com • No. 31 quarterback in the nation, according to Scout.com • earned three-star rankings from both Scout and Rivals • took part in the Under Armour All-America Game • standout athlete in both football and basketball • passed for 1,422 yards (14 touchdowns) and rushed for 201 yards (six touchdowns) in 2008 • completed 51.3 percent of his passes as a senior • earned Honorable Mention All-State honors from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Associated Press and the Minnesota Football Coaches Association • coached by Jon Leverenz.

We moved him to a position that we are stacked at. He might see some snaps as Goodgers replacement next year.

afurry91 said:
Oops. Is he not a senior?

Nevermind. Alipate may never see the field.

That and Alipate is a senior, so he definitely wouldn't see the field next year anyway ;)

The guy has never seen the field. Kind of crazy weird. Although he wasn't every gonna play in front of Gray or Weber..guess he should've found a different position earlier?

From gophersports.com:
2012 • JUNIOR SEASON: Did not see any game action • moved from quarterback to tight end prior to 2012 spring practice.

2011 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Did not see any game action.

2010 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Did not see any game action.

2009: Redshirted.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2009 graduate of Bloomington Jefferson High School (Minn.) • ranked as the No. 2 player in the state of Minnesota by Rivals.com • ranked as the No. 11 quarterback and the No. 128 player in the nation by ESPN.com • No. 19 "pro-style" quarterback in the country, according to Rivals.com • No. 31 quarterback in the nation, according to Scout.com • earned three-star rankings from both Scout and Rivals • took part in the Under Armour All-America Game • standout athlete in both football and basketball • passed for 1,422 yards (14 touchdowns) and rushed for 201 yards (six touchdowns) in 2008 • completed 51.3 percent of his passes as a senior • earned Honorable Mention All-State honors from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Associated Press and the Minnesota Football Coaches Association • coached by Jon Leverenz.

He got really, really fat....that is what happened. I've heard is he a pretty lazy kid.

We were never going to play a 270 pound guy at QB. He is a pretty big guy.

Some guys just don't pan out. Look back at the 5 star kids and about 40 to 50% never live up to expectations. I may be conservative. Granted I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that he never bought into getting better and got significantly bigger physically. Yes, Jared Lorenzen made a career as a quarterback at nearly 300 lbs, but a large quarterback at that size can not succeed in Kill's offense.

Some guys just don't pan out. Look back at the 5 star kids and about 40 to 50% never live up to expectations. I may be conservative. Granted I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that he never bought into getting better and got significantly bigger physically. Yes, Jared Lorenzen made a career as a quarterback at nearly 300 lbs, but a large quarterback at that size can not succeed in Kill's offense.

Did you miss the story about the 400lb running back? Lol

Not panning out is one thing, but usually they play at least a little. I believe there are three seniors who haven't played. If the games are close, I don't see them playing at all.

Looking back at the Minnesota rankings for 2008, Bryce McNeal was #1 and Alipate #2. Hageman was #3.

Interesting list: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2243

Everyone in the Top 10 went BCS, but quite a few didn't last or didn't play much.

oreosdoublestuf.jpg

half or more never live up to expectations?
half?
please define 'expectations'...

to me, if they go to a top10 school, they should be seeing action as a soph and be at least a two-year starter at their position....
anything out of the top 25, and they should see significant playing time as a true freshman.

using those reasonable guidelines, i'd say 90% meet expectations....

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1432550

Looking back at the Minnesota rankings for 2008, Bryce McNeal was #1 and Alipate #2. Hageman was #3.

Interesting list: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2243

Everyone in the Top 10 went BCS, but quite a few didn't last or didn't play much.

Bryce NcNeal is another MN top prospect that chose not to sign with MN who did not panned out. It seems like he had a less stellar career at Clemson, graduated early, transferred to Louisville, and then left the team.

So, you never know how the four star players are going to pan in college. One will never know how he'd pan out if he had sign with MN.

I am beginning to like the way Coach Kill recruits his players. He wants to evaluate them in person in camps and talk to people in the know about a specific recruit. He recruits character players with good attitude, and not necessarily is bedazzled with the star ratings. Look at the Eric Murray story.

IN KILL WE TRUST!

Alipate was never a 5-star kid and I can remember that some in here who follow the high school game in Minnesota closely thought it crazy that he was ranked as highly as he was. It would be interesting to see how many of the 5-star kids actually fizzle. My guess is the percentage is lower than it is for the less highly-ranked kids.

I know someone posted a study of how many 5-star kids went on to NFL careers and it was a pretty high percentage. Of course, the college and pro games are different beasts.

Smart enough to stay on scholarship and get a degree though.

The sad part with Alipate is he actually looked pretty good in the Spring game going against Gray in Kill's first year. Actually ran much better than one would expect with his size. However, they told him he had to lose X pounds by the time he came to spring practice and he actually gained >X pounds. Kill at that point told him he would never see the field as a QB, essentially that he wouldn't reward someone who didn't do what he asked. Sadly, it may have cost the team a little that year because it basically forced playing Shortell who IMHO wasn't ready. But I think it really established a tone that you will do what Kill asks or there will be consequences. So while it cost us back then it may be paying off now...

Alipate was never a 5-star kid and I can remember that some in here who follow the high school game in Minnesota closely thought it crazy that he was ranked as highly as he was. It would be interesting to see how many of the 5-star kids actually fizzle. My guess is the percentage is lower than it is for the less highly-ranked kids.

I know someone posted a study of how many 5-star kids went on to NFL careers and it was a pretty high percentage. Of course, the college and pro games are different beasts.

I don't have a link but I've seen a chart before that had percentages of 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* that make the NFL and the 5* are much higher percentage than 4* that are much higher than 3*... I know that doesn't define "fizzle" but I imagine that tracks. Besides, if a 2* never sees the field did he really "fizzle"?

Same thing for round a person was drafted in versus making the NFL Hall of Fame. The percentage of HOF'ers that are 1st round is very high.

...Sadly, it may have cost the team a little that year because it basically forced playing Shortell who IMHO wasn't ready...

Wasn't Shortell a Brewster recruit? Kill I thought honored his commitment. I thought Max Shortell wanted playing time, and figured he wasn't a perfect fit for Kill's system plus he may end up a third stringer.

Where has he gone, and how is he doing? I feel bad. He is a nice kid.

The sad part with Alipate is he actually looked pretty good in the Spring game going against Gray in Kill's first year. Actually ran much better than one would expect with his size. However, they told him he had to lose X pounds by the time he came to spring practice and he actually gained >X pounds. Kill at that point told him he would never see the field as a QB, essentially that he wouldn't reward someone who didn't do what he asked. Sadly, it may have cost the team a little that year because it basically forced playing Shortell who IMHO wasn't ready. But I think it really established a tone that you will do what Kill asks or there will be consequences. So while it cost us back then it may be paying off now...

I don't have a link but I've seen a chart before that had percentages of 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* that make the NFL and the 5* are much higher percentage than 4* that are much higher than 3*... I know that doesn't define "fizzle" but I imagine that tracks. Besides, if a 2* never sees the field did he really "fizzle"?

Same thing for round a person was drafted in versus making the NFL Hall of Fame. The percentage of HOF'ers that are 1st round is very high.

Good points and not just because I agree with them. You're right, if somebody takes a flyer on a 2-star kid who doesn't pan out, it is barely a blip on the radar.

hungan1, Shortell is at Jacksonville State in Alabama. I've provided a link to their season stats. Shortell was a Brewster recruit who Hoke tried to pilfer before NSD. Can't blame Hoke. Coaching change and all. Shortell honored his commitment and it's too bad they had to burn his red-shirt because of Gray getting banged up. Shortell gave it his best, but he's just not suited for Kill's offense. I think Max has a big league arm though and if he has a great senior year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a pro camp.

Jacksonville State link: http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/custompages/Stats/Football/2013/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

Top Bottom