What would you say if this was Brew's first year?

Jefferson at least had the patience to wait for the 12th and 13th Tennessee defender to get onto the field before snapping the ball. The gophers would of still had 13 on the field if they got to that situation.

It's an interesting thought experiment, no?

The observer would note that our team:

1) Has as its strongest unit its offensive line.

2) Is seriously committed to learning how to run the ball.

3) Appears to have most of its young talent on the defensive side of the ball.

4) Plays conservatively; tries to hold on to the ball; doesn't play outside its capacities.

5) Crafts gameplans that do not get ditched; coaches thus appear confident in their weekly preparation.

So what would you say? If this was Year One I would say....

:eek:

It's difficult for people to take that honest of a look at the "what if" scenario you present because they are so mad at him.

As a follow on to what you are saying here's my theory on WHY Brewster has finally settled on the correct year 1 strategy.

My view of him is that he's a good coach, a very good recruiter and a good guy for the U of M. However, I think his fatal blunder was that he came in with the idea that he was going to be able to recruit talent to compete with anybody right away. He drank his own Kool Aide by the bucketload. After a couple of offseasons of good recruiting, but not the type of recruiting he hoped for, I believe he has finally settled into reality.

Reality is that it's going to take a long time to build this University up to the point where it is a respected football program that can go around the country and attract four star kids that are also solid citizens to play in what they perceive to be the frozen tundra. Essentially he shot for the moon (and didn't we all love hearing it? BE HONEST- MOST OF US DID!) and he missed and he knows it.

So now he is attempting to make a switch back to sounder strategies that might have a chance up here. Alas- he's lost the fans before he can make it work. He over promised and under delivered and now will probably never get the chance to be the coach of a winning program here- even though it's likely he's learned the hard lessons required to do so.

Who else am I supposed to credit? Ryan Perrilloux?

LSU's defense gets 100% of the credit.

LSU is winning in spite of Jordan Jefferson, who has averaged 74.5 passing yards while throwing five interceptions and no touchdown passes over the last four games.

Brewster has finally settled on the correct year 1 strategy....So now he is attempting to make a switch back to sounder strategies that might have a chance. Alas, he's lost the fans before he can make it work. He over promised and under delivered--even though it's likely he's learned the hard lessons required to do so.

This is where my thoughts have been heading too. I could change my mind in the next couple of weeks though.

Based on posts at Gopherhole, you want "the worst college quarterback in history" to try and win a track meet with the USC Trojans?

If the special teams does its job on the ensuing kickoff, it's a different ball game.

The D was being kept off the field by the game plan and it resulted in USC scoring fewer points than either South Dakota or Northern Illinois.

I don't see anything at all in my statements that I want a "track meet." The point I was making was that you don't know if we would have scored more points had we had a different plan. The fact is we lost the game quite handily in the end regardless of whether it was a sound game plan or not.

And can we quit overrating the USC Tojans please just because of their name? They lost at home (in a high scoring game, btw) to freakin' Washington this weekend. They lost to everyone at the end of last season. They are nothing like their mid-'00's teams right now. If you're going to play scared, then you're going to lose. A loss is a loss whether it's 32-21 or 65-35.

The one thing that is certain about this staff is that they are not winners. After four years, I would hope we could at least agree on that. They have no clue, so excuse me if I don't accept their "strategy" as some kind of brilliance in a game we lost.

Why Jefferson? Why not a cornerback or defensive tackle? Do they get to have W/L records too?

Sure - as soon as DTs and CBs have their hands on the ball for 99% of offensive plays, then they get to have W/L records too. In addition, as soon as the majority of teams start recruiting DTs and CBs before any other position, they get to have W/L records too. Moreover, as soon as DTs and CBs are the highest-paid players in the NFL, they get to have W/L records too.

LSU's defense gets 100% of the credit.

So what you're saying is that LSU should just punt immediately every time they get the ball?

You should swing by Les Miles' office and give him that suggestion. Let us know how that goes for you.

So what you're saying is that LSU should just punt immediately every time they get the ball?

You should swing by Les Miles' office and give him that suggestion. Let us know how that goes for you.

Sorry. The defense gets 95% of the credit, while the running backs get 5%. The offensive line has been subpar, so it's tough to give them credit. But Jefferson has been so putrid, it wouldn't matter if he had the Saints o-line in front of him.

I will pass along your comments to all the LSU fans I work with, they will appreciate the laughs.

I will pass along your comments to all the LSU fans I work with, they will appreciate the laughs.

What comments? The fact that Jordan Jefferson is, indeed, 13-5 as a starter? That's all I said - nothing more, nothing less. It's pretty difficult to counter bare statements of fact.

Baltimore did win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer taking the snaps. It's a team game. Jefferson's job is to not screw up and put enough points on the board to win. Not saying he's good or bad or that the record's misleading, just that his role is different given the context of the situation.

Anyway, Studwell55. Nice parallel universe exercise you've introduced. Don't know what I'd think. I guess I'd be really disappointed that we lost to NIU and USD and wonder what that meant for the future.

I'm the only one who really barks about it, but I think Brewster should have red-shirted his entire first class (Skyline guys, Eskridge, etc.). I see McKnight leaving here a half-finished product who could have really been something had he not played right away. That's my parallel universe situation.

What comments? The fact that Jordan Jefferson is, indeed, 13-5 as a starter? That's all I said - nothing more, nothing less. It's pretty difficult to counter bare statements of fact.

Your failure in subsequent posts to acknowledge that Jefferson has nothing to do with why LSU is winning is why this thread is still going.

50PoundHead - funny you say that, because when I read the Jefferson comments to my LSU grad co-worker, his exact response (after chuckling) was "Does this guy think Trent Dilfer was the one who led Baltimore to the Super Bowl?" As you said, it was Dilfer's job to not screw up, get out of the way and let the defense dominate. However, Jefferson has not even done this right, throwing zero touchdowns and five interceptions over the last four games. LSU is 5-0 in spite of the constant messes Jefferson has gotten them into.

But, it seems to be a moot point now, since Jefferson is probably finished as a starting quarterback. We can only hope that if/when Gray becomes the starter, he doesn't meet the same fate.

Spot on

It's difficult for people to take that honest of a look at the "what if" scenario you present because they are so mad at him.

As a follow on to what you are saying here's my theory on WHY Brewster has finally settled on the correct year 1 strategy.

My view of him is that he's a good coach, a very good recruiter and a good guy for the U of M. However, I think his fatal blunder was that he came in with the idea that he was going to be able to recruit talent to compete with anybody right away. He drank his own Kool Aide by the bucketload. After a couple of offseasons of good recruiting, but not the type of recruiting he hoped for, I believe he has finally settled into reality.

Reality is that it's going to take a long time to build this University up to the point where it is a respected football program that can go around the country and attract four star kids that are also solid citizens to play in what they perceive to be the frozen tundra. Essentially he shot for the moon (and didn't we all love hearing it? BE HONEST- MOST OF US DID!) and he missed and he knows it.

So now he is attempting to make a switch back to sounder strategies that might have a chance up here. Alas- he's lost the fans before he can make it work. He over promised and under delivered and now will probably never get the chance to be the coach of a winning program here- even though it's likely he's learned the hard lessons required to do so.

Beej, I couldn't agree with you more.

To follow up with that, I think one of Brewster's critical mistakes early on was that he underestimated just how long it takes to build an 85-man roster.

The lack of impact juniors and seniors this year should be an ENORMOUS indicator to just about anybody who wants to take a closer look that Mason left the cupboard unbelievably bare for the new guy. There isn't a team in the Big Ten, perhaps even a BCS team, that has fewer impact or key players that are seniors and juniors than the Gophers right now. Mason should be embarassed.

This team is not even close to where we want the Gophers to be as a program right now and yes, in Year Four, that's tough to swallow. But at least I see a plan in place. The best young players are red-shirting and being allowed to mature and grow into the program/system. The best players on the team appear to be the underclassmen, an indicator that the plan is actually starting to take effect.

Bottom line: Next year and the year after, the Gophers football team will actually field players on offense and defense that are juniors and seniors and have a number of starts under their belt. That means they might actually be on a level playing field with the rest of the conference for a change.

So, you really do think that LSU would be better off just punting whenever they have the ball?

Is your strategy to follow up one ridiculous comment with another, even more ridiculous comment?

Interesting.

Is your strategy to follow up one ridiculous comment with another, even more ridiculous comment?

Interesting.

No, you keep insisting that Jordan Jefferson has nothing to do with LSU winning.

I'm curious as to how a QB of any football team, anywhere, ever, has zero impact on winning the games.

If his impact is only negative, wouldn't they just be better off punting the ball away immediately upon gaining possession?

If his impact is only negative, wouldn't they just be better off punting the ball away immediately upon gaining possession?

Or bench the guy. Which is what Les Miles did. Maybe you should be the one dropping by Miles' office to remind him of Jefferson's scintillating contributions to the team? After all, how many quarterbacks go 13-5 as a starter and lead their team to a Top 10 ranking, only to get benched?

Top Bottom