What would the Record of a Gopher MN Natives Team be right Now?

Otis

Reaction score
Say we had closed the borders and had all the recruits we wanted.

What would be the record of the following lineup right now? And what would be their ranking SS?

PG: Suggs
SG: Kerwin Walton
SF: Matthew Hurt
PF: Dawson Garcia
C: Reuvers

Bench: Race Thompson, Gabe, Wright, Sims, John

There have to be some others out there that can probably shoot better than Gabe and I won't put Davison on the team because, you know, Davison.

Would they be undefeated? or would we still be 6-1? What would our ranking be?

Who am I missing?

*Updated to include added players*

Last edited:

What would be the record of the following lineup right now? And what would be their ranking SS?

SG: Kalesheur (;))
PF: Dawson

Bench: Wright, Sims, John

There have to be some others out there that can probably shoot better than Gabe and I won't put Davison on the team because, you know, Davison.

Who am I missing?
Fun exercise but if Illinois gets to keep all their kids we are 6-1. Missouri and California also have more depth and higher level talent than our state? So we might just have two wins over North Dakota and Boston College lol

I think Kerwin Walton would help. Same with Dain Dainja (who is redshirting). Race Thompson would be a nice piece, David Roddy is solid.

I think this team would have a pretty good shot at being undefeated right now but would be the worst all-MN team in a while.

Last year would have included 4 of the top 41 picks

It is a fun exercise as 1984 said. Let add "All Foreign Born Players Only" team. I will start with Michael Thompson.

Fun exercise but if Illinois gets to keep all their kids we are 6-1. Missouri and California also have more depth and higher level talent than our state? So we might just have two wins over North Dakota and Boston College lol
I'm not trying to start a debate about what state would have the best team if they kept their best players. (California, Florida, New York, Michigan,... would all be better)

Simply trying to point out, that at this point had we all the Minnesota players who hadn't yet gone on to bigger and better things, we would probably still have the same record.

I'm not trying to start a debate about what state would have the best team if they kept their best players. (California, Florida, New York, Michigan,... would all be better)

Simply trying to point out, that at this point had we all the Minnesota players who hadn't yet gone on to bigger and better things, we would probably still have the same record.

Sorry wasn't attempting to hijack the thread. It's a good point to make.

I'm seeing your point. We would be 8-0 vs 7-1...1 game better. However at the end of the year I think that conversation changes as having that team would more than likely translate to more wins at the end of the year.

Who am I missing?

Dark and discouraging speculation. And not good for the soul or the psyche of a local sports fan.;)

Who am I missing?

You forgot Both Gach. Also Dain Dainja.

Why not add an "All MN coaching staff" to this thing?? We could have Dave Joerger, Medved, Lane Kiffin...

Do other states do this?

I can see where fans might lament missing a recruit they thought they had a shot at (Haliburton, Zegarowski, French etc.) but so many locals obsess over the locals.

Can we at least lament the ones that were realistic? Wright, Garcia (maybe?), maybe Walton,

To actually answer the question, I would say we are in the top 4. Gonz (minus Suggs) is still legit as Nembhard slides into a bigger role and Baylor is still that good. I would guess the Xmas matchup with Iowa would be a top 4 matchup (Gonz doesnt beat Iowa without Suggs) and we have no lost yet.

Probably should give up on these threads every year, they seem to get more and more disappointing ha

Why not add an "All MN coaching staff" to this thing?? We could have Dave Joerger, Medved, Lane Kiffin...

Do other states do this?

I can see where fans might lament missing a recruit they thought they had a shot at (Haliburton, Zegarowski, French etc.) but so many locals obsess over the locals.

Can we at least lament the ones that were realistic? Wright, Garcia (maybe?), maybe Walton,
What about a thread with all of the top 10 recruits every year since forever? Wonder what our records would have been if we got every one of them.

To actually answer the question, I would say we are in the top 4. Gonz (minus Suggs) is still legit as Nembhard slides into a bigger role and Baylor is still that good. I would guess the Xmas matchup with Iowa would be a top 4 matchup (Gonz doesnt beat Iowa without Suggs) and we have no lost yet.

Probably should give up on these threads every year, they seem to get more and more disappointing ha
Do other stars get to keep theirs ?

Who am I missing?

This would easily be the best team in the nation this year (Gonzaga now minus Suggs) on paper, and might be able to win it all even with Pitino at the helm. With an established successful coach at the helm that team might go undefeated in the B1G this year. Way too deep. All Conference talents at 4/5 positions, two guys likely to be drafted after this year. Depth everywhere. As most would agree this is unrealistic to have all these guys on the roster. I don't think anyone could get/keep all those players to any school in the nation for the simple reason of playing time beyond the issue of going 12 for 12 in state or whatever.

What's more instructive to me is that you could make two very good teams from that group of kids

G Suggs
G Davision
F Hurt
F Thompson
C John

Bench: Kalscheur, and Ben Carlson

G Wright
G Walton
F Gach
F Garcia
C Reuvers

Bench: Trae Berhow (40 percent plus from 3 every year) and Jericho Sims

Mix and match how you like. That's 2 All conference level players minimum on each roster and a bunch of solid starters. Conference champions? Probably not, but top 25 teams with a chance to make deep runs in March.

Not arguing that you need to get everyone, but there's a lot of talent in recent years coming through Minnesota. We're not making up for it with quality additions elsewhere. Our out of state recruiting has been equally poor. The last 3 classes (including '21) the highest ranked recruit has been Isaiah Ihnen. Go through the 247 composite and look at all the schools that have landed a higher regarded recruit during that time. Many bad basketball programs will have landed multiple kids and some low majors will be on this list too. If you have a great x's and o's coach who is great at player development and/or identifying hidden gems, maybe you can overcome this. That's not the case right now. It's especially ridiculous to be a bottom 4 program in the conference during this period of quality basketball talent coming out of Minnesota. I hope someone else gets a shot at the '22 Minnesota class as it could easily go back to where it was for part of Tubby's tenure (Joe Coleman best recruit out of Minnesota in a 3 or 4 year span).

Are there a lot of good indigenous basketball players out there?

This would easily be the best team in the nation this year (Gonzaga now minus Suggs) on paper, and might be able to win it all even with Pitino at the helm. With an established successful coach at the helm that team might go undefeated in the B1G this year. Way too deep. All Conference talents at 4/5 positions, two guys likely to be drafted after this year. Depth everywhere. As most would agree this is unrealistic to have all these guys on the roster. I don't think anyone could get/keep all those players to any school in the nation for the simple reason of playing time beyond the issue of going 12 for 12 in state or whatever.

What's more instructive to me is that you could make two very good teams from that group of kids

G Suggs
G Davision
F Hurt
F Thompson
C John

Bench: Kalscheur, and Ben Carlson

G Wright
G Walton
F Gach
F Garcia
C Reuvers

Bench: Trae Berhow (40 percent plus from 3 every year) and Jericho Sims

Mix and match how you like. That's 2 All conference level players minimum on each roster and a bunch of solid starters. Conference champions? Probably not, but top 25 teams with a chance to make deep runs in March.

Not arguing that you need to get everyone, but there's a lot of talent in recent years coming through Minnesota. We're not making up for it with quality additions elsewhere. Our out of state recruiting has been equally poor. The last 3 classes (including '21) the highest ranked recruit has been Isaiah Ihnen. Go through the 247 composite and look at all the schools that have landed a higher regarded recruit during that time. Many bad basketball programs will have landed multiple kids and some low majors will be on this list too. If you have a great x's and o's coach who is great at player development and/or identifying hidden gems, maybe you can overcome this. That's not the case right now. It's especially ridiculous to be a bottom 4 program in the conference during this period of quality basketball talent coming out of Minnesota. I hope someone else gets a shot at the '22 Minnesota class as it could easily go back to where it was for part of Tubby's tenure (Joe Coleman best recruit out of Minnesota in a 3 or 4 year span).

Post of the week!

SG: Wright
SF: Hurt
PF: Garcia
C: Theo John

Bench: Ruevers, Davison, Gach, Thompson, Roddy, K. Walton, Sims

Unless I'm missing someone, we would smash Illinois. They have some decent guards, but I think Suggs is probably the best guard in the country.

How much better would Georgetown be if Luka Garza stayed in DC?
No state keeps all their talent, athletic or academic.

Unless I'm missing someone, we would smash Illinois. They have some decent guards, but I think Suggs is probably the best guard in the country.

They'd have Dosunmu, Adam Miller, EJ Liddell, Jeremiah Tillmon, Nojel Eastern, Jordan Goodwin. That team can compete if not beat us.

SLU keeping Missouri kids would be tough too. It's just an unreasonable argument imo.

They'd have Dosunmu, Adam Miller, EJ Liddell, Jeremiah Tillmon, Nojel Eastern, Jordan Goodwin. That team can compete if not beat us.

SLU keeping Missouri kids would be tough too. It's just an unreasonable argument imo.

That team could compete with MN, but the MN team is considerably more talented. It's basketball so we could play with them.

I guess it's unreasonable if the OP thought it was a possibility or anything, but I think it's a fun though experiment.

SG: Wright
SF: Hurt
PF: Garcia
C: Theo John

Bench: Ruevers, Davison, Gach, Thompson, Roddy, K. Walton, Sims

Theo John in the starting lineup? Actually looking at the stat lines for Sims and Reuvers as well from the 2017 class, it doesn't look like we should be kicking ourselves too hard for missing on any of them. Oturu was better than all of them, and Liam Robbins' numbers are comparable to them, if not better.

Reuvers maybe has a more consistent perimeter game, but his rebounding stats seem kinda low for a guy who is 6'11". He had 4.5 boards per game as a junior last year, and that's his peak so far. I was under the impression that Reuvers was more of an offensive star than he is, but maybe Wisconsin just has more balanced scoring than we do and doesn't rely on one or two stars putting up close to 20 points every game like us. He doesn't seem bad or anything, but like 12 points and 4 rebounds doesn't make me say "We need to lock down the borders because we could never get a player like that from out of state." Maybe like Joey King but a better defender? But maybe my impression of him is also lessened because we've actually had a pretty good run of competent to good big men in Robbins, Oturu, Murphy, Lynch, and even Walker.

Top Bottom