What will the 2023 Gopher Offense look like?

I don’t think we take that next step unless we adjust our philosophy some. When you play these high-powered offenses who can go yard at any time trying to match that with 15 play drives all game is too hard. One holding call or one negative yardage play then you punt and let’s say they come back with a couple of big hitter plays for 6 if we can’t match that more with our own big plays then we will be playing in more bowl games on 29 December and not on New Year’s Eve, et al. Plus, expecting our OL to be able to control the line of scrimmage against these top tier teams is not a winning proposition. We can’t do it against Iowa’s D, as an example. With our new quarterback, and what appears to be a focus on WR recruiting, perhaps that’s the direction PJ is heading. Mixing in a little tempo from time to time certainly wouldn’t hurt, either.

Anybody else notice how Morgan always (90%) double check with the sideline coaches while AK seldom. QB intelligence??
Gophers run a check with me offense, it's not the QB, it's coaching.

Morgan has his flaws, but he's very intelligent QB. He could coach if that's direction he wants to go

I don’t think we take that next step unless we adjust our philosophy some. When you play these high-powered offenses who can go yard at any time trying to match that with 15 play drives all game is too hard. One holding call or one negative yardage play then you punt and let’s say they come back with a couple of big hitter plays for 6 if we can’t match that more with our own big plays then we will be playing in more bowl games on 29 December and not on New Year’s Eve, et al. Plus, expecting our OL to be able to control the line of scrimmage against these top tier teams is not a winning proposition. We can’t do it against Iowa’s D, as an example. With our new quarterback, and what appears to be a focus on WR recruiting, perhaps that’s the direction PJ is heading. Mixing in a little tempo from time to time certainly wouldn’t hurt, either.
I'd agree they need to change their best.

What isn't going to change is overall philosophy.

One thing we can all rest easy in is knowing that no matter what the 2023 offense looks like we will have some posters here that hate it and complain about it all the time.
JHFC. Give it a rest, asshole.

The same as previous years.. he plays tressel ball.. control the clock with a good powerful run game and take your shots when you can....

Well, since the average score by all 4 teams was about 45 points in the 2 semi games, Coach Fleck may have to change his best. Seemed to be a lot more passing than running, also. Just sayin'.

Potts and Williams proved, especially near the end, that they are VERY average. Poor "backward facing" attempts to get through the line. With Mo in there, the end of the game would not been in doubt.

Lets see what Evans and Taylor will do for us.
I have all confidence in the world that either - Evans, Taylor or Williams will became the alpha by mid season and rack up 800+ yards by the end of the year. All three were ranked higher than Mo coming out of HS.

Last edited:

My hope is that he plays tressel ball with some nuance. Play a balanced offense and get up by 2 scores, then start draining the clock. That way, not only does your offense know how to play a faster paced game (and therefore be more prepared when behind) but you still get the game shrinking nature once you gain a lead.

Obviously football today is becoming more single-wing oriented. That was a joke.

QB Athan Kaliakmanis was a 4 star prospect. The Gophers bolstered WR. So I assume Gophers will be slightly more pass.

Passing is becoming more important even in the cold Big Ten.

TV likes that.

Something I think would be much more helpful as an addition and would actually make PJs eat the clock/pound you/win the 4th quarter would be the intermittent addition of tempo plays. Occasional quick snaps eliminate the ability of the defense to sub and allow you the simple ability to hurry to the line and force the defense to set, and then you can call the play/shift/etc once the d is locked in. USC does this consistently at tempo spots on the field (around midfield). It lets you control matchups as well as grind down certain guys who are stuck on the field more, neutralizes pass rush, and makes teams play more base. There’s a reason teams don’t get into their set until late against us and it’s because we don’t ever snap the ball quickly aside from rare occasions on 2nd or 3rd and short,

The next addition step would be a quick passing game with utilization like it’s a run game. Jackson has shown he can be dynamic with the ball, CRAB is a great blocker, Brockington has shown some speed and the young backs seem to be more perimeter guys. The key is the ability to get the ball there rapidly and Athan has the arm strength to do so. It lets you box count teams which is the difficulty this team has is they end up running into stacked boxes too often as we don’t hurt teams quickly enough on the perimeter.

The tools are there for the offense to be more dynamic and multidimensional next year and I think it fits the “plus” players we have much better than the style we ran this year
Which backs are perimeter guys? Honestly dont know...

given his druthers, I have no doubt that Fleck would prefer to play a ball-control, time-of-possession based offense.

But - in order to run that type of offense, you have to have the players to make it work.

so the real question becomes - is Fleck willing and able to adjust if the available talent does not fit with the coach's philosophy?

and that comes down to the OL and RB's.

we all saw what the offense looks like with Mo at RB. But what does the offense look like without Mo as RB? that is the question that will determine what the offense looks like going forward?

QB rushing comparison:
Morgan 4 TD, 1.6 YPR, 8 SACKS
Kaliakmanis 1TD, 4.1 YPR, 7 SACKS
So although Athan used the RPO running option to gain more yards, adjusting for game time, he was sacked more often.
I contend again that he is not a scrambler.
What/where are these from?

Top Bottom