What will stadium bill mean for Gopher football ticket holders?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm neutral on the Vikings. I was an avid fan as a youth. My interest waned during my 20's. I couldn't stand them during the Dennis Green/Chris Carter era. The Brad Childress era put me to sleep, and I'm still dreaming today. So, I'm fine with the bill passing. I understand there are a lot of Vikings fans in the area. I'm not totally happy with how it was funded, but it seems like a compromise was made.
With all that, what do you think this means for Gopher fans? I'm not getting my undies in a bundle, but I'm curious as to whether there will be anything other than wadded up gum under my seat. Nothing is certain, I'm sure. At this point, I would think additional seats will be brought in. Other than that, anything else?

From MV over at FBT:
MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (05/10/2012) —The University of Minnesota and the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to a Letter of Intent which allows the Vikings’ use of TCF Bank Stadium during potential construction at the current Metrodome site of a new stadium for the National Football League franchise. Subject to Board of Regents approval at its meeting tomorrow, university President Eric Kaler may sign the Letter of Intent in the next few days.

The Letter of Intent provides that the Vikings will reimburse the university for all changes they require for TCF Bank Stadium, and all non-game day expenses and game-day operational expenses related to the franchise’s use of the facility. In addition, the Vikings will pay rent to the university and share a portion of additional concessions and sponsorship revenues.

“The Minnesota Vikings are an important asset to the state and we were pleased to work with them on reaching a mutually beneficial arrangement to host them on our campus,” Kaler said. “The Vikings will remain part of the Twin Cities region during construction of their new stadium, while the proceeds from this arrangement will be invested in our athletic department to enhance Gopher sports.”

Hosting Vikings games at TCF Bank Stadium not only will affect the campus, but also will impact surrounding neighborhoods. Throughout talks with the Vikings, university leaders have emphasized addressing concerns of campus neighbors.

“The university is committed to proactively addressing stadium and campus operational issues and to minimizing any potential impact on the university community and our neighbors,” Kaler said. “For Vikings games at TCF Bank Stadium, the university will control stadium and campus operations and will exercise the same level of care for traffic and noise management, litter control and public safety as is our standard for Gopher events.”

The Vikings also will appoint a representative to serve as the franchise’s contact and neighborhood liaison. Additionally, the team will make a contribution to the existing neighborhood mitigation fund.

Under the agreement, the Vikings will pay the university a fixed fee of $250,000 per game. In addition, concessions, sponsorship and advertising dollars will be divided between the parties under the terms of the Letter of Intent, said university General Counsel Mark Rotenberg. He stated that the additional revenue to the university is expected to be $50,000 per game, resulting in a combined rent and expected concessions and sponsorship revenue amount of $300,000 per game, or $3 million per regular NFL season.

The Letter of Intent provides the following:

TCF Bank Stadium changes

Installation of specialized heating coils under the playing surface.
Installation of temporary bleacher-style seats in the western end zone plaza. Any new seating is subject to approval by the university’s building code division.

Duration of lease and days of play

Two scenarios are allowed. The Vikings may lease TCF Bank Stadium for up to four consecutive NFL seasons anticipated to start in 2013; or, they can play at the facility for all or part of one NFL season, anticipated to be the 2015 season. A standard NFL season includes 10 football games (two preseason and eight regular season games), plus any home playoff games.
TCF Bank Stadium will be available for Sunday games only and one weeknight game per season, on a date that must be approved by the university.
The Vikings will work with the NFL to minimize scheduling conflicts with the university’s intercollegiate athletic activities and other campus events.

Alcohol

The terms of alcohol sales at TCF Bank Stadium during Vikings games are subject to Board of Regents approval at a later date. Governor Dayton signed legislation April 27, 2012 that returns full authority to the Board of Regents with respect to the sale of alcoholic beverages during intercollegiate athletic events at the Stadium, Williams Arena, and Mariucci Arena, so long as the university provides for the sale of alcohol to the general public at a convenient location in the Stadium at least through half-time during intercollegiate football games. This legislation expires July 1, 2014.

Copies of the University of Minnesota Board of Regents resolution and the Letter of Intent will be available at the Board of Regents meeting tomorrow. The meeting begins at 9 a.m. at 600 McNamara Alumni Center, 200 Oak Street S.E., Minneapolis.

Reading that, I think that ticket holders won't see much of anything outside of the temp seats they bring in on the open end. The other improvements (heating coils) won't affect the STH's.

Better Food Service

Reading that, I think that ticket holders won't see much of anything outside of the temp seats they bring in on the open end. The other improvements (heating coils) won't affect the STH's.

The Vikings and their fans will not put up with the lousy food service at TCF Stadium. I am quite sure that it will improve for the VIkings. It therefore will most likely result also in better srvice for the Gopher fans.

The Vikings and there fans will not put up with the lousy food service at TCF Stadium. I am quite sure that it will improve for the VIkings. It therefore will most likely result also in better srvice for the Gopher fans.

Maybe. I'd love for that to be true, but it's all cost/benefit. How much will it cost the Vikings to improve the experience and how will those costs result in getting paid enough to make it worthwhile. For one season I could see the Vikings just collecting the money and dealing with any complaints that they get.

I mean, you could also argue that the Vikings can't put up with limitations on beer sales too. But in the end they will likely have to do so.

The Vikings and there fans will not put up with the lousy food service at TCF Stadium. I am quite sure that it will improve for the VIkings. It therefore will most likely result also in better srvice for the Gopher fans.

Maybe. I'd love for that to be true, but it's all cost/benefit. How much will it cost the Vikings to improve the experience and how will those costs result in getting paid enough to make it worthwhile. For one season I could see the Vikings just collecting the money and dealing with any complaints that they get.

I mean, you could also argue that the Vikings can't put up with limitations on beer sales too. But in the end they will likely have to do so.

Yeah, hopefully we'll upgrade to that crackerjack Metrodome food service. It's soooooo unbelievably great. Are you kidding? Viking fans have been putting up with it for 30 years. How soon we forget.

That aside, I would hope they also add radiant heat in the concourse like at Target Field.

Yeah, hopefully we'll upgrade to that crackerjack Metrodome food service. It's soooooo unbelievably great. Are you kidding? Viking fans have been putting up with it for 30 years. How soon we forget.

That aside, I would hope they also add radiant heat in the concourse like at Target Field.

I also never thought the Dome food was much to talk about. But even if you feel it's superior there are def reasons why the Vikes coming to TCF wouldn't change things.

Radiant heat would be good. I wonder if it is expensive and that would be a big win if the Vikes decided to install some.

Radiant heat would be good. I wonder if it is expensive and that would be a big win if the Vikes decided to install some.[/QUOTE]

I think they'd have to do it or the NFLPA won't allow their players to play. As I remember, that was an issue for the MNF game against the Bears after the Dome collapsed. The NFLPA won't allow it for several games over several seasons; they'd label it as too dangerous for risk of injury.

Radiant heat would be good. I wonder if it is expensive and that would be a big win if the Vikes decided to install some.

I think they'd have to do it or the NFLPA won't allow their players to play. As I remember, that was an issue for the MNF game against the Bears after the Dome collapsed. The NFLPA won't allow it for several games over several seasons; they'd label it as too dangerous for risk of injury.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the NFLPA has any concern about radiant heat at TCF.

I think they'd have to do it or the NFLPA won't allow their players to play. As I remember, that was an issue for the MNF game against the Bears after the Dome collapsed. The NFLPA won't allow it for several games over several seasons; they'd label it as too dangerous for risk of injury.

I'm not talking about the field heating. That is going in for sure. I was referring to the heaters that they installed at Target Field for fans.

The Real Probem

The real problem with the food service is really bad management. You woudn't have to spend a lot of money to improve the service. As a matter fact, because of the VERY slow service, they are losing money because of lost sales. Having good inexpensive systems in place would not cost a lot of money and they would pay for themselves in no time. It is one of the worst run operations of this size I have ever seen. The good news is that it wouldn't be that hard to fix. If you don't believe me, the next time you are in the food line watch how chaotic everything is.

maybe they can add in automated credit card swipes in the concessions, holy hannah watching someone manually enter in the number, mess up, and repeat was like being in Iowa.

The real problem with the food service is really bad management. You woudn't have to spend a lot of money to improve the service. As a matter fact, because of the VERY slow service, they are losing money because of lost sales. Having good inexpensive systems in place would not cost a lot of money and they would pay for themselves in no time. It is one of the worst run operations of this size I have ever seen. The good news is that it wouldn't be that hard to fix. If you don't believe me, the next time you are in the food line watch how chaotic everything is.
That's a good point. I was thinking more in terms of food quality than service. I so rarely buy food at TCF (and when I do I make sure to do it at a point when there are basically no lines) that I don't notice service issues. I could totally see that side of things improving.

I had no issues with concessions service last year. I never felt like there were ridiculous lines after the first few games of the inaugural season. The food choices aren't anything like Target Field, but the service seemed fine to me.

I had no issues with concessions service last year. I never felt like there were ridiculous lines after the first few games of the inaugural season. The food choices aren't anything like Target Field, but the service seemed fine to me.

I really didn't either other than would run out of food, take forever to figure out the order, then get it, and to pay for it.

It might affect people in the bleachers. With the chairbacks you can add to your spot on the bleacers, season ticket holders might be able to hold off on getting on that year, in the hopes that whoever has that seat for the Vikings would get one. Then they could use theirs for free.

It might affect people in the bleachers. With the chairbacks you can add to your spot on the bleacers, season ticket holders might be able to hold off on getting on that year, in the hopes that whoever has that seat for the Vikings would get one. Then they could use theirs for free.

Hmmm...interesting thought! That will be worth seeing play out. We don't get them for our seats and don't mind. But if they were there I wouldn't complain. C'mon Vikes STH in my row!

TCF does have boring food choices. I know it shouldn't be compared to Target Field, but it's night and day to that.

Sounds like the Vikings would also like to heat the open air concourses as well as heating the field according to this article. Very cool idea. Another welcome upgrade in my opinion.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/976010/391/A-tale-of-Twin-Cities-stadiums-Three-of-them

The food service has improved. The food has not. I don't need a large choice on non-traditional hoidie toidie food. I just wouldi like a brat stand that draws you to it with it's smells like at Target field. I don't need a cuban sandwich..I do love a real brat cooked in front of me, not steamed. I can now wash it down with a $7 Summit Pale now too! oh yeah... a hot choc and not luke ward choc would be great! Sloal Gophers???

Are the vendors still using calculators to figure out what people owe? Might have to upgrade that.

This is going to be the perfect storm. The Vikings are probably worried about the smaller venue, but after the Gophers win the Big 10 in 2012 and follow that up with back-to-back National Championships in 2013 and 2014, by the time the Vikes come to TCF for 2015, the seating will have been expanded to include the third tier anyway.

Breakin' The Plane said:
This is going to be the perfect storm. The Vikings are probably worried about the smaller venue, but after the Gophers win the Big 10 in 2012 and follow that up with back-to-back National Championships in 2013 and 2014, by the time the Vikes come to TCF for 2015, the seating will have been expanded to include the third tier anyway.

My exact thoughts!

One interesting development at the Board of Regents yesterday. One of the U's VP's stated that if the U moves forward with a beer garden in the open end, that could not coexist with the additional temporary seating on that end. So they'd probably have to figure out another location for the beer garden for Saturdays in 2015. Perhaps on the top level?

This is my thoughts also. I don't buy anything from the main concession areas due to the long lines and poor service. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way. I'll buy a Coke from one of the carts, since there is never a line and the cash transaction takes less than 10 seconds. if having the Vikes at the bank improves the basic service, hooray!

One interesting development at the Board of Regents yesterday. One of the U's VP's stated that if the U moves forward with a beer garden in the open end, that could not coexist with the additional temporary seating on that end. So they'd probably have to figure out another location for the beer garden for Saturdays in 2015. Perhaps on the top level?

I was wondering about that myself. The beer garden could very well be an evolving concept. Is there any chance the beer garden flounders/causes problems and is eventually dropped? Just wondering.

station19 said:
I was wondering about that myself. The beer garden could very well be an evolving concept. Is there any chance the beer garden flounders/causes problems and is eventually dropped? Just wondering.

So....Unless its before a game or halftime who would want to leave there seat and stand in a beer garden? That's assuming the game is not boring of course.

Nobody should give a damn about food at football games because you miss too much of the action waiting at the counter and getting to and from your seat. Food service is for baseball where you have a lot down time during the games and the weather is always warm. Who wants to eat food when they are are huddled in the seat trying to stay warm? For football games eating food should be for pre and post game tailgates or in bars and restaurants.

So....Unless its before a game or halftime who would want to leave there seat and stand in a beer garden? That's assuming the game is not boring of course.

At every Gopher game their are several thousand fans watching the game from the upper and lower concourses and standing at the open end of the stadium. Many of them never go near their seats.

Nobody should give a damn about food at football games because you miss too much of the action waiting at the counter and getting to and from your seat. Food service is for baseball where you have a lot down time during the games and the weather is always warm. Who wants to eat food when they are are huddled in the seat trying to stay warm? For football games eating food should be for pre and post game tailgates or in bars and restaurants.

EVERYONE GOT THAT?

Top Bottom