What will happen next?

GopherLady

Reaction score
What do you think will happen next, after this loss to NIU?

I find the mind I lost after USD?

Oops...too late. Lost my mind again.

I will go to bed. I will then wake-up and think this never happened. I will then remember. I will then go back to sleep.

Maturi will be his typical coward self and Bruininks will have to force him to fire Brewster as he has for every other dismissal

I would imagine the next thing to happen after the loss to NIU will be a loss to Northwestern.

A great deal of teeth gnashing, I suspect. Outside of that, not much.

We'll tread water until the end of the year, then wipe the slate clean and start all over again.

In the immediate? Not much. I still don't think the team makes a move at coach until the end of the season and as frustrated as everyone is I think that's prudent. It may be immediately satisfying but doesn't accomplish anything.

I think the process probably starts now of quietly compiling candidates for the end of the season should the team not turn things around and show serious signs of life in the Big Ten schedule. It's a question of whether they can keep that quiet since boosters are going to want reassurance that steps are being taken if the season slides further into the abyss.

It's early yet.

Oops - this was suppose to be a poll...too tired! Oh well, write in what you think. Options were going to be - Brew fired, Maturi fired, both fired, nothing until the end of the seasons...or no changes for a long time?

Oops - this was suppose to be a poll...too tired! Oh well, write in what you think. Options were going to be - Brew fired, Maturi fired, both fired, nothing until the end of the seasons...or no changes for a long time?
We all are. :(

Nothing until the end of the season.

Nothing for the end of the season. Then it should be a complete house cleaning with only Tubby surviving.

Maturi ..Gone
Brewster..Gone
Lucia..Gone
Borton..Gone

Smith.. Stays

I believe the team will totally fall apart, get blown out by 40+ several times and win no more games this year. Several players will transfer or quit the team before year's end.

Brewster will be a lame duck coach - everyone will want him out before year's end, but I don't think that the U has the cahones to can him yet (before his contract is up). But I would be that the U will be (if not already) sending out feelers to available coaches.

When Brewster does leave, I believe he'll leave humbly. Seriously.

20% chance they fire Brew this week. If they don't do it now, they will probably wait until at least the week before the Iowa game. At this point, everyone knows it's over and the cries aren't going to get any louder just because we lost to Northwestern, etc. So either do it now, or wait until the season is over/nearly over.

Sadly, I think the chances of Maturi getting fired are close to 0%.

Nothing for the end of the season. Then it should be a complete house cleaning with only Tubby surviving.

Maturi ..Gone
Brewster..Gone
Lucia..Gone
Borton..Gone

Smith.. Stays

Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...

I believe the team will totally fall apart, get blown out by 40+ several times and win no more games this year. Several players will transfer or quit the team before year's end.

Brewster will be a lame duck coach - everyone will want him out before year's end, but I don't think that the U has the cahones to can him yet (before his contract is up). But I would be that the U will be (if not already) sending out feelers to available coaches.

When Brewster does leave, I believe he'll leave humbly. Seriously.

Sadly, I have to agree. This is not looking good. This was an easy start to the season that should have put the Gophers 4-1. Instead, they will be 1-4 and looking at 1-11, with a lot of embarrassing losses ahead. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet. The only hope is that the powers at the U will see that they need to spend some real money on a coach that has a chance of turning this program around. Brewster is a bargain basement coach by Big Ten standards and we got what we paid for.

Sadly, I have to agree. This is not looking good. This was an easy start to the season that should have put the Gophers 4-1. Instead, they will be 1-4 and looking at 1-11, with a lot of embarrassing losses ahead. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet. The only hope is that the powers at the U will see that they need to spend some real money on a coach that has a chance of turning this program around. Brewster is a bargain basement coach by Big Ten standards and we got what we paid for.

The coaching salary was not the problem, that is an excuse. There were several candidates that were interested in the job that were more qualified. Maturi just made the wrong selection.

What will happen next?

...Maturi will hit the play button on the "today was a tough day to be a Gopher's fan" speech.

...The talk shows will dedicate even less time to the Gophers

...Reusse and Souhan won't even write columns about the Gophers but will make snide references to them in their columns about the Twins and Vikings

...fans will boo less and laugh more at the Gopher's incompetency

...fans will start leaving at halftime vs. waiting all the way until the end of the third quarter

...many will start caring less, and some will start caring not at all.

...the downward spiral will continue.

The coaching salary was not the problem, that is an excuse. There were several candidates that were interested in the job that were more qualified. Maturi just made the wrong selection.

Fair enough, I'm willing to accept that argument. Maturi is a fool who made a very risky and bad hire. In the end, I see Brewster as a nice guy who is in over his head, much like Jim Wacker. Maturi is the real culprit here. How many times does this have to happen with football coaches?

Unfortunately, as the frequenters of the basketball boards have seen, Maturi is not the man to make quick, decisive decisions (Mbawke case, Royce White, etc.). As much as it pains me to say it, I don't see a situation where Maturi makes a move before the end of the season.

That being said, if the team doesnt get more than 2 wins, they should be both gone.

Unfortunately, as the frequenters of the basketball boards have seen, Maturi is not the man to make quick, decisive decisions (Mbawke case, Royce White, etc.).

Maturi is a very busy man....he's apparently the Florida Attorney General, the head of the University Police as well as the Gophers' AD. I still can't believe he let Lindsey Lohan out on bail

They are both going to be fired today. The Gophers are bringing me in as the omnipotent AD. I will start with cutting about 8 non-revenue sports, walking over to Bruiniks and saying that money for Northrop renovations is now mine. Then I will break ground on the basketball practice facility, the new baseball stadium, fire Brewster immediately, and see who I can pay 5 mil a year to come lead us to a Big 10 title.

Here's the ugly truth:

This is horrible, really, really horrible. We can laugh and point fingers and call people names. But this is a catastrophe for the football program. Tim Brewster may have inflicted a decade of damage. We can't even line up properly!

As a Badger fan, all I can say is that sometimes things have to get really bad before they can get better. IF you get a university president who believes athletics enhances the university AND you get an AD that can see the big picture and hire a good football coach, things can be turned around. As others have stated, you have a new stadium, a livable northern city, and play in the Big 10 - these are not things to be scoffed at.

I seriously don't think the Badgers would be where they are today, if not for the debacle that was Don Morton. UW had a greater history of fan support, but the finances were abysmal. If you can find the book From Red Ink to Roses by Rick Telander in the library, it might give you some hope.

Good luck - strong teams in the Big 10 help us all.

...I will start with cutting about 8 non-revenue sports, walking over to Bruiniks and saying that money for Northrop renovations is now mine. Then I will break ground on the basketball practice facility, the new baseball stadium...

I would include baseball on my list of non revenue sports to cut so we wouldn't need a new baseball stadium.

All we need are enough women sports to satisfy prop 9 for Men's Basketball, Hockey and Football. The rest of the men and women sports can all go away. That would help a lot with the budget issues.

The ONLY thing Maturi should be doing right now...

...is working the phones to find a booster(s) to pony up the $200K we need to get Brewster the eff out of Dodge. After that its figure out who's the interim coach:

1.Cosgrove or Horton. After watching our halfwit game plan on both sides of the ball neither one thrills me.
2.Mangino. I can't watch him without thinking of this
3.Someone from the English dept. At least we wouldn't have to hear "irregardless" at pressers

Then the only way Maturi salvages (some of) his reputation is to pull off an other Tubbyesque hire. For that reason alone he has to pull the pin now on the Brewster grenade.

Top Bottom